there has been blood (and now QT's review of CMBB)

Started by pete, November 06, 2007, 01:06:10 AM

Stefen

haha, well, obviously that isn't the ONLY reason he makes movies. I don't anyone said that.

It's just nice to be acknowledged for a job well done when you've spent 4 years making a piece of art. Otherwise, why even show up to the award show?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

picolas

he was doing some heavy grinning and shrugged. it was an "oh well, good for them" moment. i don't think he expected to win. there was no look of disappointment when american beauty won either. he made a hilarious gasp face. like "no way! american beauty?? what an upset!"

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: picolas on February 27, 2008, 05:32:47 PM
he was doing some heavy grinning and shrugged. it was an "oh well, good for them" moment. i don't think he expected to win. there was no look of disappointment when american beauty won either. he made a hilarious gasp face. like "no way! american beauty?? what an upset!"

:lol: I need to see that sometime
Si

md

maybe he has a competition in him...maybe he wants no one else to succeed?  And that was an EEEKKK he gave, not a shrug. 
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

polkablues

I just wonder how the Carpetbagger would interpret his reaction.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: polkablues on February 28, 2008, 02:50:52 AM
I just wonder how the Carpetbagger would interpret his reaction.

PT Anderson clearly wants the Coens to die and win every award ever made, unless they go to either Juno, Michael Clayton or Atonement.
Si

Pedro

I thought his reaction was more like, "really?  i thought i was going to win..."

fulty

Saw TWBB at the Arclight in Hollywood...Wow..!!

Sorry Paul didn't win an Oscar...this should have been the 2nd.

Thank you all for the father/son insights.

Question...I noticed early in the movie, when first drilling for oil, there's a closeup and some oil slops up right onto the camera lens...and it stays there for a second...I thought, why wouldn't they edit that out?
So again at the end...in the bowling alley...Daniel throws a ball and hits something that again splashes onto the camera lens.
Deliberate?
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: fulty on March 02, 2008, 09:37:52 AM
Question...I noticed early in the movie, when first drilling for oil, there's a closeup and some oil slops up right onto the camera lens...and it stays there for a second...I thought, why wouldn't they edit that out?
So again at the end...in the bowling alley...Daniel throws a ball and hits something that again splashes onto the camera lens.
Deliberate?

I doubt deliberate. Probably looked like good mistakes to keep when they were in the editing room.

I'm surprised no one mentioned one scene that could be very meaningful. When the real father of H.W. is playing with him near an oil pocket he puts a smear of oil on his forehead, much the same way a priest smears ashes on someone's forehead on Ash Wednesday. The idea of belief in God could be tangled here with the belief in oil and power.

md

Yeah dude, it reminded me of rafiki blessing simba in the Lion King. 
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Pozer

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on March 02, 2008, 11:49:27 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned one scene that could be very meaningful. When the real father of H.W. is playing with him near an oil pocket he puts a smear of oil on his forehead, much the same way a priest smears ashes on someone's forehead on Ash Wednesday. The idea of belief in God could be tangled here with the belief in oil and power.

it was mentioned somewhere.  baptized in OIL which is very meaningful indeed.  such an amazing touch.

tpfkabi

I'm guessing it's purely for symoblism sake, because I would think that would be potentially harmful for a baby to be breathing in oil fumes, much less to smear it directly on it's face.

JG

that guy wouldn't be thinking like that though. i don't know know if the movie would work if pta did anything for 'symbolism sake.'

tpfkabi

Quote from: JG on March 02, 2008, 02:35:46 PM
that guy wouldn't be thinking like that though. i don't know know if the movie would work if pta did anything for 'symbolism sake.'

i guess.
it just seems for a very odd thing for a parent to do.
i have no idea if it's in the book or not.