An Interesting Night?

Started by life_boy, March 19, 2003, 04:52:22 AM

life_boy

Well, Oscar night could interesting in more ways than one.  Does fear of Michael Moore's tongue seal a "Best Documentary Feature" loss for Columbine?  Well, personally I haven't been sure of Columbine win ever since I heard of it's release.  The best docs are usually overlooked, right?  But this gives an "easy to spot" reason for it to be overlooked.  What does everyone else think?  Could it still somehow win?

Pubrick

hav u seen the movie?

i hope it wins. and i hope he talks about u specifically.
under the paving stones.

life_boy

I haven't seen it but I'm really looking forward to it.  I've heard it's great.

PS:  Why the hell does when I type in M-ichael Moore it puts 'That Big Asshole' before it?  Who's idea was that?

©brad

i hope it wins too. i liked that letter he wrote about bush. I think all the blacklist stuff is bullshit. afraid of what they would say when presenting an award? freedom of speech in this country, yes?

MacGuffin

MOORE TROUBLE  

Bowling For Columbine supremo Michael Moore believes the Oscars are rigged so he won't win. The anti-gun movie has been nominated in the category of Best Documentary. And while Academy rule stipulates that voters must see every film in the category they are voting for, voting in the documentary category is minimal, and tends only to attract high-brow critics who may turn their nose up at the popular Bowling For Columbine. Michigan native Moore is subsequently fuming at news that members have been unable to view rival movie Winged Migration as it means they can't vote for his film at all. IMDb reports that he has requested that Sony Classics screen the flick, but has had his plea turned down. Moore says of Sony Classics co-President Michael Barker: "He said no. He said in so many words that this is what's best for them. I told him we should all be supportive of each other's films. Especially in this category, which has a history of embarrassment. It's not about winning. It's about democracy. Let's let people vote. I'm more than happy to live with a vote that reflects the will of the majority." Vice President of United Artists marketing Dennis O'Conner counters: "It really limits the number of people who can vote. Sony does it all the time." We'll just have to wait and see...

More Moore here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Newtron

Hahaha it looks like one of the higher-ups is playing with the words. Haha.

Xixax

Quote from: life_boyPS:  Why the hell does when I type in M-ichael Moore it puts 'That Big Asshole' before it?  Who's idea was that?

:twisted:  :roll:
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

sphinx

if you look at the film's statement, and then you turn your binoculars around and see what's going on right now, there's really no way that this film couldn't win the award.  it's a physical impossibility

life_boy

Well, maybe I'm wrong.  It just looks to me like they are gonna give it to Daughter from Danang.  The documentary category has always had upsets, why would this year be any different?

xerxes

michael moore is better than all of you!

he is better than me also

Victor

cmon, the oscars is a popularity contest. if moore wins, its because he made the highest grossing doc of all time. if he loses, its because people dont like him.

i liked bowling for columbine a lot, and i hope it wins. but i have a love-hate relationship with moore. he makes liberals look kind of bad, basic even. but he does have some good points, and at least someones talking on this side of the fence.
are you gonna eat with us too?