Where do you write and what do you use?

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 11:27:21 PM

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I either use Microsoft Word, since it is compatible to both Mac and PC.  I'm not lazy with typing so I don't go for FinalDraft (even though I could if I really wanted to).
I write in the corner of the Downstairs of my house, although I spent the past few months with the nice white walls of my apartment's room. With the eyes of my friends looking down on me thru photographs pasted on the walls, inspirations came easy.
"who else could these people be? what else could have been going on in that picture?"
Very cool and true to me.

If I have a laptop, I write on the couch (no shit) or on the beach (even in winter).

Mostly I take a notebook around, one of those 5-subjects, with one subject dedicated to one script.  I write "ideas" on the left side and the "Script" on the right side.   If the idea/script wins my respect, I transcribe w/ my ole MSWord.
Or, if all else fails, notepad.
I try to write on lunchbreaks or before going to bed. It ALL comes out more easily and playfully then.
WORD TO YO' MUMSY

polkablues

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestionI'm not lazy with typing so I don't go for FinalDraft

I know what you mean.  I kind of miss hitting TAB however many times for each new line.  Weird thing to get nostalgic about...

EDIT: Look to the left and you'll see Natalie getting nostalgic about Word.
<----------------------------
My house, my rules, my coffee

ono

Why would you get nostalgic about Word?

:migraine:

I use FynlDraft.  :fredflintstonespelling:

I tend to write pages and pages of notes in a text file and then somehow formulate them into an outline.  That becomes a screenplay someday.  Hopefully.  :yes:

socketlevel

i used to do the pen and paper thing but now i'm like fuck that and only at the outline stage will i go old school.  final draft all the way for the rest of it.

i like cafes or libraries, especially really old ones, adds a lot of atmosphere.  i like to put myself in an environment i'm not all that used to.  it makes the experience of writing seem epic  that way.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

JG

i can't explain it, but I just like the way pen on legal note pad pad looks.  

I get an accomplished feeling when I finally sit down to write a thorough outine using pages and pages of scribbled out writing and barely legible notes.

I'll look into final draft, but how much is it?

kotte

My process has been constantly evolving.
This is how it looks right now, a routine I'm very comfortable with.

I write 30 minutes to an hour every morning. This is my real writing time. I have a small notebook in my backpocket in which I scribble ideas and anything that hits me. A couple of days a week I sit in a cafe for hours just getting down everything I have in my head.

But morning-time is my scriptwriting time...

polkablues

Quote from: JimmyGatorI'll look into final draft, but how much is it?

The downside is, it runs around 200 to 300 bucks.

The upside is, if you illegally download it, it's free!

killafilm

Normally late at night, in the dark with music playing.  And really slowly :cry:

Pubrick

Quote from: flagpolespeciali live in australia and would like to buy final draft 7.
that's really hard to steal, no one i know has been able to help me either. we are DOOMED.

dude i know tells me to try emule or sumthing.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

killafilm

or uhhhmmLimeWirea;lskjf for Final Draft 6

Pubrick

i just wrote an awesome story synopsis on the back of a ripped envelope. in purple pen, brand "penline" quartz medium it says on the side. half of it filled with ink, the rest i presume is air. i used my right hand. the envolope was made out of 60% recycled paper, and ripped at one of the narrow ends, furtherest from the front address.

on the whole it was about 8 lines in length, average of 5.75 words per line, with increasingly small writing as it neared the ripped end of the paper. my handwriting was typically quite messy, a regular reader would not have been able to tell the following letters apart: d, u, w, a, m, n, c, h, e.

illegibility notwithstanding, i made no spelling mistakes in the 45 seconds it took me to write it down. i don't remember what the envelope was used for, i found it under the keyboard.
under the paving stones.

bluejaytwist

moviemagikkk is my beast. if drew carey's writing staff endorses it, that's good enough for me. but seriously. its good.
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

ono

Most recently, I've taken to staying up until all hours.  Unemployment, illness, and a love of night in general attribute to this.  Just a few days ago, I was about to go to sleep, 6 AM, and a flurry of ideas hit me, and I was like, fuckit, I'm gonna write for a couple hours.  I love that.

I also love it when I remember that I've written something, and am quite proud of the premise, but can't remember the file it's in.  No, check that, I hate it, and it's driving me nuts.  I'm poring over my hard drive right now trying to remember where the fuck I put it before I decide to rewrite it.  It must've been a year and a half ago I thought of it and it's just now come back to me.  That's great.  No, I hate it.  No, it's great, and I hate it.  Yep.

JG

Quote from: onomabracadabra on November 30, 2005, 06:30:12 PM
Most recently, I've taken to staying up until all hours.  Unemployment, illness, and a love of night in general attribute to this.  Just a few days ago, I was about to go to sleep, 6 AM, and a flurry of ideas hit me, and I was like, fuckit, I'm gonna write for a couple hours.  I love that.

That's pretty great.   A couple of weekends ago I promised myself that I would write a lot that weekend, and it was Saturday night at about twelve and I hadn't written anything and I was pissed at myself because I was busy all day Sunday and I knew the weekend would end and I wouldn't have written anything.  I couldn't get through this one part of my script, so I was really frustrated.  So I was about to go to bed (and I keep my lap top right beside my bed,)  and I all of a sudden went nuts.  I wrote for 3 -4 fours.  I put on all my Elliott Smith records, made myself a cup of tea.  30 pages of size twelve, courier new. 

it's the best feeling.