dave depraved cronenberg

Started by Cecil, February 10, 2003, 07:23:04 PM

WorldForgot

Hell yesh
His crime work in the 00s meets... The Brood, Scanners? An exploding Santa within conspiracy, I hope...

WorldForgot

WorldForgot

I know the above link has been updated with Deadline's cast scoop but wanted to include this quote:
“I have unfinished business with the future,” Cronenberg understated.

wrongright

I'm just glad he's not going out on Maps to the Stars.

WorldForgot

wilder

March 22, 2022

Eastern Promises (2007) is coming to 4K UHD blu-ray from Kino

wilder

November 16, 2021

M Butterfly (1993) on blu-ray from Shout Factory

Beijing, 1964. French diplomat René Gallimard (Jeremy Irons, Reversal Of Fortune) unexpectedly falls in love with Peking opera singer Song Liling after seeing her perform the music of Madama Butterfly. But what begins as a torrid love affair soon draws him into a world of espionage and duplicity, where the biggest secrets are revealed in the most unexpected of ways.

wilder

A David Cronenberg entry in the Conversations with Filmmakers series came out in March 2021

wilder

David Cronenberg Confirms Netflix Passed On Series Version Of His Novel 'Consumed' Which He's Turning Into A Film
The Playlist

After an eight-year hiatus from the screen, NEON ("Parasite") is releasing David Cronenberg's latest body horror film, "Crimes of The Future" next month. Cronenberg has revealed in a new interview with Variety that the movie, starring Viggo Mortensen, Lea Seydoux, and Kristen Stewart, was originally offered to streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon but they didn't bite.

That wasn't the only project of Cronenberg's rejected by Netflix—his series adaptation of his novel "Consumed" was turned away too. The filmmaker revealed he's about to start writing a feature version of "Consumed," but his supernatural film "The Shrouds," starring French actor Vincent Cassel ("Eastern Promises"), comes next and was announced for the Cannes Market last week.

"That's correct. I don't have a screenplay yet for that but I will be writing that." Cronenberg told Variety about the status of the "Consumed" film incarnation. "But at the moment, the other project, which is called 'The Shrouds,' would come first. And so, yeah, we'll have an interesting announcement to make about it."

The official synopsis of the "Consumed" novel via Penguin Random House reads as follows:

In the book-filled, artfully messy Paris apartment of the famous French intellectuals Célestine and Aristide Arosteguy, an astonishing discovery is made. The grisly, butchered remains of Célestine are found–partially eaten–and her husband, sought by the police for questioning, has disappeared. Naomi Seberg, a young journalist, embarks upon a quest to uncover the truth of Célestine's death and Aristide's role in it, traveling to Tokyo to interview the suspected cannibal, while her boyfriend, Nathan Math, a medical journalist, seduces the cancer patient of a controversial Hungarian doctor, contracts a sexually transmitted disease, and traces the disease's famous discoverer to Forest Hill Village in Toronto, where he encounters the most interesting journalistic subject of all.

While Cronenberg is keen on the idea of streaming, he attributes Netflix's rejection of both "Consumed" and "Crimes of The Future" to the entertainment company being "conservative."

"It turns out that it's not so easy to get a series with Netflix. In fact, it seems that it might be easier to get an independent film made if it's of a certain type. I'd say maybe a film that isn't the conservative kind of movie as Netflix would like."

Cronenberg continued to speak on the health of the film industry and Netflix's role, saying, "Netflix has certainly affected the movie industry and the exhibition industry with cinemas. I think cinemas are dying, frankly. I think there will be cinemas, but there won't be so many of them, and they will be showing niche films because otherwise, they'll just be showing Marvel superhero movies."

wilder

October 24, 2022

Videodrome (1983) on 4K UHD blu-ray from Arrow UK, restored by Arrow from the original camera negative

Max Renn (James Woods) is looking for fresh new content for his TV channel when he happens across some illegal S&M style broadcasts called "Videodrome". Embroiling his girlfriend Nick (Deborah Harry) in his search for the source, his journey begins to blur the lines between reality and fantasy as he works his way through sadomasochistic games, shady organisations and body transformations stunningly realised by Oscar-winning makeup effects artist Rick Baker.

wilder

December 13, 2022

Spider (2002) on blu-ray from Sony

A mentally-disturbed man takes residence in a halfway house. His mind gradually slips back into the realm created by his illness, where he replays a key part of his childhood.

wilder

April 17, 2023

Naked Lunch (1991) on 4K UHD blu-ray from Arrow UK

A part-time exterminator and full-time drug addict named Bill Lee plunges into the nightmarish Interzone, a netherworld of sinister cabals and giant talking bugs.