Red Rocket (Sean Baker)

Started by wrongright, October 05, 2021, 01:02:35 PM

pynchonikon

Very good movie, funny and sweet in its own peculiar way. Rex delivers, and the rest of the cast are accompanying him optimally. Not as strong and effective as Florida Project in my book, but fans of Baker's style should definitely not miss it.

wrongright

It looks a lot better than LP, tbh. At least it's a better, more effective trailer.

wilberfan

A more conventional trailer, to be sure.

(Anyone see any giant GHOULARDI signs painted on a wall in LP?)

Robyn

The first song, what is it and where have I heard it before?

It's driving me crazy

wilberfan

Quote from: wilberfan on October 05, 2021, 02:17:06 PM
(Anyone see any giant GHOULARDI signs painted on a wall in LP?)

I stand corrected.

polkablues

Quote from: Robyn on October 05, 2021, 02:34:14 PM
The first song, what is it and where have I heard it before?

It's driving me crazy

Unless you're talking about the instrumental part at the beginning of the trailer, the part with the girl singing is an acoustic cover of NSYNC's "Bye Bye Bye," which then transitions to the actual NSYNC song.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

No, I was talking about the instrumental part. Is that from the OST? Because it definitely reminds me of something

Edit: I might be thinking of something from Juno, lol

wrongright

Quote from: Robyn on October 05, 2021, 02:54:56 PM
No, I was talking about the instrumental part. Is that from the OST? Because it definitely reminds me of something

Badlands.

Shughes

Quote from: wrongright on October 05, 2021, 03:58:49 PM

Badlands.

And echoes of True Romance.

Robyn

Quote from: Shughes on October 05, 2021, 07:53:42 PM
Quote from: wrongright on October 05, 2021, 03:58:49 PM

Badlands.

And echoes of True Romance.

AHHH, YES!!! That's it!

WorldForgot

Authentic, but not realism. Stylized formally without distracting from its characters. Cynical and funny and interested in why we smile while we walk among rot.

Dug it ~ Some really cool lens-zooms and saturated in a way that feels like Texas dusk.

Anecdotally -- via wikipedia, apparently Sean Baker 'discovered' Suzanna Son at the Arclight Hollywood after 'Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot.' I miss the Arclight Hollywood. It's a historical landmark because it's attached to the Cinerama Dome - but more than that, it held an enormous lobby and outdoor smoking section where you could shoot the shit for hours if you felt like hanging out around posters and costumes.

This movie understands loitering, so I'm glad its star Strawberry was a casual meeting at a now-fading loiter location. Her rendition of NSYNC's song iz so good, too. Rex is funny, and electric, even; but Strawberry's the film's heart.