The Power Of The Dog (Jane Campion)

Started by wrongright, August 26, 2021, 10:14:45 AM

wrongright

A lot of buzz for this. Jonny Greenwood score.

pynchonikon

This year's early Best Picture and Best Director frontrunner, Netflix will definitely push Cumberbatch very hard as well.

It's screening in all the major Fall festivals, starting with Venice next week.

Robyn

wrongright

I wish PTA has responded like this. Now is not the time to prop that garbage up.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1461006327786917893

wilberfan

Jane and Marty and I are meeting tonight for dinner and a Kubrick film.  Then we're going home and going to bed early.

Yes

*Kevin Feige feverishly removes Jane Campion's name from the shortlist to direct The Dazzler movie*

Yes

Didn't like this. Found it transparent and obvious. Campion explicitly makes subtext text and the tension never bubbles despite her imposing wide framing. Toxic masculinity and sexual repression are easy topics but she still didn't provide an interesting thesis to the images. Disliked the digital Netflix sheen, as well. Spent whole runtime fantasizing about Fassbender in the Cumberbatch role

WorldForgot

Sheesh do I love Jane Campion. I could have watched her unroll this story out for four hours.

Like some causality-grief-dance, the characters trade paranoia as Newton's Cradle. While the sexual tension might be the text, I'd like to offer that there is further subtext to be gleamed in the manipulations of science & society. What that might reflect upon our notions of control (onto ourselves and imposed onto others) alongside habitat. Not like she goes too subtle with that either though, but like with Dumont's L'Humanite I found myself not only entranced but soothed , even in its darkest implications.

Phil and Peter are interesting characters, and if it had been a mini-series like Top of the Lake I woulda been thrilled. A standout film for me this year.

wilberfan

You know I have a 40-minute trigger finger...but I actually made it thru this one. 

Marc Maron talks to Benedict rather extensively about the film on this week's episode?  Haven't gotten that far into it yet.   

Jeremy Blackman

My experience watching this movie:

Spoiler: ShowHide
This is good. Not quite sure where it's going, though.

Hmm. Benedict Cumberbatch sure is obsessing over that saddle and touching it sensually basically all the time. He sure is slamming that pole into the ground in a suggestive fashion. Was that line a double entendre? I sure think so. Am I reading too much into this, or... Oh, okay yes, that's what's happening. Wow. They're really doing it. Good twist, movie, but I was one step ahead! Congratulations to me!

Wait, what? Anthrax? Did he actually? Oh God, that changes everything... This is amazing...

I'm a sucker for movies that do that sort of thing, so I loved this.

Definitely agree that it looked extremely digital, though. Like the framerate was too high, or something akin to motion smoothing. What a shame.

Also, I feel like Campion is using the Greenwood score as a shortcut to access some TWBB magic. Lots of similar landscape and tracking shots in this.