The Nowhere Inn

Started by Alethia, August 12, 2021, 12:13:33 PM

Alethia

WorldForgot

My heavens !! This looks like a lot of fun. Annie Clark's artistic career just keeps putting on more shades of camp and introspection, I adore it.

Alethia

Her latest record, Daddy's Home, rules. Was delighted to see Mabel Longhetti (and Candy Darling) received a special thanks.

Yes

The movie is very tongue in cheek naturally so results may vary but Annie's performance is delicious and more than compensates for any misguided notions regarding celebrity. I hope she acts more!

WorldForgot

Yes

Random because I can't find a music thread but I attended the Daddy's Home tour on Wednesday and it was mind blowing. One of the best live shows I've ever seen. She rocked so hard. Did a rocky, funky remix on a combo of tracks from the self-titled and Masseduction

Alethia

I saw her on the self-titled tour and it still stands as one of the best live music experiences I've ever had. She brings the fucking house down.

Yes

WorldForgot

people turn the TV on it looks just like a window

Been a fan of Annie Clark/St. Vincent for over a decade now. That alone iz odd to consider. So going down the rabbit hole of oddity to imagine what those yearz have been like for her was a trip I was eager to take.

If you cannot get past its first layer (meta-vanity project) this film iz going to play not like the ouroboros they intend but the ouroboros they fear. For that, it's a bold addition to our contemporary canon of meta-narratives; it doesn't allow itself the distance of a film like Black Bear. It jumps mediums in giddy haphazard and with an irony that's kinda cruel. If this appeals to you, if their refracted personas are what you wanna watch - you'll be treated to some sick Super 16mm photography and a bash-you-in-the-face thesis on why Annie needs St. Vincent.

Once you ask yourself *why* you create, the spiral slinkyz across into the *how*.  Very inspiring ish to me. Might be my favorite narrative of the year behind Wheel of Fantasy and Fortune. Both share an overlap in how the externalize the interior of doubt and desire.

Plus, Dakota Johnson and Carrie Brownstein's friendship; as a treat.