XIXAX Film Forum

The Card Counter (Paul Schrader)

WorldForgot · 6 · 352

WorldForgot

• 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
on: July 27, 2021, 10:31:11 AM

"Redemption is the long game in Paul Schrader’s THE CARD COUNTER. Told with Schrader’s trademark cinematic intensity, the revenge thriller tells the story of an ex-military interrogator turned gambler haunted by the ghosts of his past decisions, and features riveting performances from stars Oscar Isaac, Tiffany Haddish, Tye Sheridan and Willem Dafoe."

The Card Counter "livestream" Q&A currently archived at HanwayFilms

Hand-made films, guilt, Dune, and Bruce Willis' contract.

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 02:11:01 PM
I'll be watching this in a while, maybe this weekend.

What did you all think?
Ascension.

wilberfan

• PTA PhD
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 04:08:07 PM
I'm concerned I can't lower my expectations enough, having hated First Reformed.

Yes

• The Meeting with the Goddess
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 08:46:16 PM
If you hate First Reformed, I cannot imagining liking this. It's the exact same premise. Schrader has made a career out of Mad Libs. Playing "Taxi Driver if..". Your enjoyment depends on how his lonely man submerges his guilt. Poker is an interesting subject--the mundanity and monotony of it. Isaac's performance is perfectly modulated. Haddish/Sherdian are ghastly but their amateurness creates an overall surreal vibe to the film

jviness02

• The Vision Quest
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 07:58:02 PM
If you like Schrader you’ll like it. It was very much my shit, but if you hated First Reformed, skip it lol

wilberfan

• PTA PhD
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 12:18:03 AM
I'm concerned I can't lower my expectations enough, having hated First Reformed.

Well, I guess I lowered my expectations just enough.

It was fine.  Three-stars out of five. I liked the leads (including Haddish).  The Venn Diagram of this and Hard Eight would be interesting to see.