Barb and Star Go to Vista del Mar

Started by Axolotl, July 13, 2021, 03:08:28 PM

Axolotl

Liked the movie a lot, liked the fact that it's a major movie that's about adult best-friendship (not just ordinary friendship), liked the sweetness and the kitschy tan-and-sky-blueness, liked the 30 Rockness of some of the joke writing, didn't like the MCU-ness of some of the joke writing.

Also I'd like to shout out a forgotten Kristen Wiig movie about another kind of mainstream-overlooked relationship-type, "The Skeleton Twins". More people should watch it.

Posting here because couldn't respond in the "New releases that wasted your time" thread as per jenks' thread rules.

WorldForgot

Ah, yeah 30 Rock iz a good call! It's not not meta, nearly a satire of the genre, given the cosmic aspects.

Recommend to anyone that digs "SNL Movies" - though it's quite different than that. Wears its heart and camp on its sleeve, and goes for broke in designing the sequences. Loved the use of extras in the repeat "sneak out" portion.

jenkins

it's definitely a good idea to support a movie you want to support and I'm happy to see this. I wish it were less arbitrary and there isn't much to say but the spirit here is good. this is a sterling example of there being no such thing as bad publicity. I hope that even when the shittalking thread becomes familiar to people they will still create threads for movies they want to support

this movie is fine and the shittalking thread is for laughs. I don't have much to say about this movie