The Suicide Squad (2021)

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 26, 2021, 02:27:50 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Written & directed by James Gunn. Releases August 6, 2021.

I'm not even a Guardians fan, but this looks excellent.

Also, imagine being one of the actors they kept from the other one. What an opportunity for redemption. I'm rooting for Joel Cinnamon, personally.

WorldForgot

My experience iz that people that dig Guardians dislike Super, which makes no sense to me U_U

Released too early, I think. If people are down for hourz of The Boys, I think Super deserves some love.

Yes

This was a knockout. Probably could have shaved 20 minutes. A Harley Quinn detour halts momentum, over-reliance on exposition but best DC since The Dark Knight. (TDKR was thuddingly bombastic, Wonder Woman was trite, BVS/MOS are thematically exciting but narratively dead).

Closer to Super than Guardians but still maintains Guardians sense of emotional affection for characters. He has a real knack of identifying the mania of comics and building blossoming dynamics. Relentlessly gory, probably most venomous comic book film since Batman Returns?

Robyn

This was a blast.

Didn't like the last act when it went from being a fun man on a mission-movie to a generic fighting big boss à la every other superhero movie. Still, it had more heart and visual creativity than every other DC movie combined. That flower scene with Harley Quinn had my heart pounding, and was one of the best fights scene I have seen in a while.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Loved it so much when People Who Died kicked in during the intro. One of my fav songs

WorldForgot

Yeah, I agree about the conclusion -- pre-viz logistics via studio for these kinda flicks ?
while I was watching it I wondered if there might be some studio, focus-tested, kinda mandate for blockbusters to end in clashing CGI hordes.

It reminded me of Planet Terror. From its role out, imagination's assumption of how Polka Dot Man's powers would be represented turned out to be more how Harley's arc played out. Sourest note for me in the film iz its score. Obviously expect needledrops, but at least those groove along the bitter DC-gloss splash-page style the film's core aims at.

Jeremy Blackman

I liked it, but it wasn't the revelation I was hoping for. My reaction to all best scenes was: okay I saw that in the trailer and this didn't really add anything new.

As with Guardians, I thought some of the needle drops were actually pretty bad. Some of the jokes were extremely basic in the same way too. I had hopes, but I'm just not sure I'm on Gunn's wavelength in those regards.

I actually loved every Harley Quinn scene though. And Joel Kinnaman continues to never disappoint me. Rest of the cast was a joy to watch as well.

WorldForgot

For Guardians they did feel Gunn specific, here its needledrops reminded me of Baby Driver, but that may be most its lack of era focus in the tracks + alt rock cuts. Still, closer to conveying what it is than the score.

Made me laugh that the sentimental clip Bloodsport's daughter is reacting to is him firing a power rangers style fantasy rifle.

Robyn

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 06, 2021, 12:42:25 PM
I actually loved every Harley Quinn scene though.

This x1000. From now on, I'm telling people that my heart tattoo under the eye is because of her.

Drenk

From the Shoutbox:

Drenk [07|Aug 07:29 AM]:   James Gunn got mentally stuck at fifteen, huh?
Drenk [07|Aug 07:32 AM]:   It has the energy and personality of a fifteen years old, which is more entertaining than whatever the other big studios produce, but that's drown in an ocean of unfunniness.
Drenk [07|Aug 07:32 AM]:   Every situation ends with a "Well. That just happened. Awkward" moment.
Drenk [07|Aug 07:41 AM]:   Every emotional beat is contrived to death.

I'm not a fan of Harley Quinn either, like genuinely allergic to the way Robbie plays the character.

Very fun to have the fat guy drink Coca and show show the pizza on his desk in the next scene. This isn't fatphobic. Haha. He's fat and eats junk food. Haha. I'm sure his name on the script wasn't "FAT GUY".

James Gunn also managed to get his girlfriend to replace Viola Davis.

I mostly hated it, I guess.

I promise that I won't ever watch another of these movies. Don't let me try Sam Raimi's Doctor Strange.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

I have never understood the praise for Gunn's humor. I thought it was falling flat for me in Guardians because I had residual Chris Pratt hatred from Jurassic World. But no, I think it's the humor itself. There's something off about it. The action stops and it's like a spotlight shines on a character until they've milked the life out of a joke.

Depite that, there were some funny moments that landed for me, but very few that weren't already in the trailer in their entirety.

The sequence where they raid the encampment was amazing though.

Drenk

Ascension.