First Cow

Started by Alethia, March 05, 2020, 08:10:42 AM

Alethia

New Kelly Reichardt. Featuring one of the last performances of the great Rene Auberjonois.

"In the 19th century, a cook travels with fur trappers to the Oregon Territory. He connects with a Chinese immigrant, and they start a business with the surreptitious use of a milking cow owned by a wealthy landowner."

Seeing it this weekend. I'll let you know.

Sleepless

One of my most anticipated this year  :bravo:
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

ForTheHungryBoy

Decent?

Seems a bit cheesy for me

wilberfan

Quote from: eward on March 05, 2020, 08:10:42 AM
Seeing it this weekend. I'll let you know.

Quote from: Sleepless on March 05, 2020, 09:57:22 AM

It's interesting neither of you have (apparently) seen this yet.   Given the date, do I assume it got lost in the pandemic?

I watched it last night, and rather liked it--especially the gentle relationship between the two leads.   I think I enjoyed the first half a bit more than the second--it started to lag a bit, I thought, but :yabbse-thumbup: .

jenkins

you know at the time we didn't know the closure of society was imminent. this movie has a special slot in terms of being prepandemic in the year of the pandemic

Sleepless

Quote from: wilberfan on December 23, 2020, 11:55:06 AM
Quote from: Sleepless on March 05, 2020, 09:57:22 AM

It's interesting neither of you have (apparently) seen this yet.   Given the date, do I assume it got lost in the pandemic?

I watched it last night, and rather liked it--especially the gentle relationship between the two leads.   I think I enjoyed the first half a bit more than the second--it started to lag a bit, I thought, but :yabbse-thumbup: .

I watched it a few weeks ago and honestly was a bit disappointed. I'll admit, my experience could have been impacted by be not being in quite the right mood to watch (although I thought I was when I sat down) and at times it felt like I was watching the Battle of Winterfell. I agree, the first half is superior. It deserves me to give it another chance at some point; Meek's Cutoff markedly improved on my second viewing. On The Rocks was another film I'd been really looking forward to in 2020 that fell short of what I was hoping for. Both should be rewatched on their own terms.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilberfan

Quote from: Sleepless on January 04, 2021, 09:13:44 AM
I'll admit, my experience could have been impacted by be not being in quite the right mood to watch (although I thought I was when I sat down)

THANK you for acknowledging that this is a thing.  (Not that anyone was denying it.)  I feel better being reminded that I'm not the only one that ends up in this headspace sometimes.