• PTA PhD
Reply #15 on: July 13, 2021, 12:10:11 PM

Nine minute Standing O at Cannes.   

(My mileage may vary.)

wilberfan

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • PTA PhD
Reply #16 on: July 13, 2021, 02:14:22 PM
Good catch.  Sorry for complicating things.  Or you're welcome?   :?

eward

Reply #17 on: October 25, 2021, 08:00:20 AM
I tend to defend Wes - I'll still go to bat for Moonrise Kingdom any day of the week, and I consider Grand Budapest a masterpiece - but this I just couldn't stick. Visually inventive in all the usual ways, but there's almost nothing to grab onto emotionally. I've never felt more at a remove from his characters.

I'm sorry, what am I missing re Chalamet? What are people responding to? I just don't see it.

Drenk

Reply #18 on: October 25, 2021, 08:33:43 AM
Chalamet is a nightmare.

Not very hyped by this Anderson. Seems even more all over the place with nothing much to say/feelóIíll be there for the little fun tricks.
Ascension.

Robyn

Reply #19 on: October 25, 2021, 08:37:53 AM
I think Chalamet could be perfect given the right role, but he hasn't had much to do since Call Me By You're Name. He's either playing the pretty boy or are just there due to his hype (haven't watched Dune yet, tho)

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #20 on: October 25, 2021, 12:21:08 PM
Dune has single-handedly made me a Chalamet fan, for what it's worth.
Living life big time

Yes

• The Ultimate Boon
Reply #21 on: October 25, 2021, 01:04:00 PM
Chalamet is good in CMBYN and the Greta Gerwig movies. Prob because she recognizes his fuckboi theater kid energy and gives him loose dialogue

I havenít liked a Wes since Fox but Iím still curious about this. Tenenbaums is so formative to me Iíll always give  him benefit of doubt

Yes

• The Ultimate Boon
Reply #22 on: October 28, 2021, 10:11:09 PM
So I saw this.

That's my review.

Not sure what else I can add. I know he'll never make another Tenebaums (he was 30 then compared to 50 now). I suppose the movie is expressing the loneliness of writing but also the simultaneous sensual thrill of it/the adventure? The first story would work without tilda's interjections. I have no understanding of the May 68 to comment on the poltics of 2nd story but Chalamet/MCdormand were fun even if the female journalist sleeping with male subject... is a no-no. The third was most frustrating, no wonder it erupts into an animated segment

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

• The Ultimate Boon
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2021, 07:46:03 PM
I liked this movie in so much as Anderson's aesthetic and storytelling devices hit me in a unique spot.
However, some of the smaller parts didn't need to have any major stars cast for them. I guess maybe it's like...taking the piss out of how big people THINK they should be?

Spoiler: ShowHide

like Edward Norton or Saoirse Ronan....or even Bill Murray...or Hey, was Henry Winkler even given a line???

While we have complaints about professional voice actors losing roles to A-Listers, do we think the same should be done for Wes Anderson movies??...whatever....maybe they all had to be cut for time *shrug*....doubtful for an auteur or whatever you want to call him these days.

Still glad to see Anderson following his instincts after all this time, despite mixed results in terms of resonance.

Does this count as a review? *Shrug*

eward

Reply #24 on: November 21, 2021, 07:57:42 PM
Such underuse of Elizabeth Moss is a crime that shouldn't go unpunished.

Robyn

Reply #25 on: November 22, 2021, 01:27:44 AM

Was fantasizing about Moss in a PTA film the other day. Somehow I had forgotten she was in this. The list is too long!

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #26 on: November 22, 2021, 02:24:23 AM
Was fantasizing about Moss in a PTA film the other day.

She should have been in The Master.
Living life big time

eward

Reply #27 on: November 22, 2021, 10:30:44 AM
OMG yes

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

• The Ultimate Boon
Reply #28 on: November 24, 2021, 05:26:15 PM

Right?!  and I recall being excited that she was going to "be" in this movie.

How about Griffin Dunne?
I didn't even recognize him...don't remember him having any lines, just a guy sitting next to Fisher Stevens with a beard...GRIFFIN F**KIN' "AFTER HOURS" DUNNE!
A lot of talented actors simply came across as set dressing...