Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: HACKANUT on October 17, 2021, 03:24:46 PMAny actual criteria for what would've been a good poster in your eyes? "Anything good" is... I mean come on.

I was trolling a bit, but to be fair I did say "anything that looks good." A low bar that I don't think the poster clears. (I'll elaborate below.)

Quote from: Yes on October 17, 2021, 03:13:54 PMAnd even had the poster been good... is a poster really going to move the needle in terms of marketing?

I'd actually wager that physical posters and standees in movie theaters have a big impact. People waiting in line for concessions, waiting in line for a movie, walking out of the movie, waiting as their companion uses the bathroom... there's not much else to look at.

The poster is just a missed opportunity. This is ostensibly something you might use to reach an audience outside the film twitter bubble who will already be seeing the next PTA movie. I guarantee the average person would find the poster to be off-putting or simply non-evocative.

The trailer is gorgeous, full of vitality and momentum. The poster is the opposite – inert, lifeless, and ugly.

wrongright

Quote from: HACKANUT on October 17, 2021, 03:02:30 PM
Genuinely curious what you guys think would make a better poster. Especially considering how many of you thought the beautiful hand-lettered logo was bad.

Something other than two "kids" with dopey expressions on their faces? It just doesn't draw you in at all. Look at the posters for American Graffiti or Fast Times for comparison.

Yes

Quote from: Drenk on October 17, 2021, 03:31:40 PM
I'm not a poster designer, I just immediately sense how cheap that particular picture looks like—and I suppose that "cheap" was what they were aiming at, the cover for the last Haim record, shot by PTA, actually looks good. And the poster also seems like they were trying to hide themselves from the world to smoke some pot: its bareness isn't necessarily appealing, and doesn't promise, anyway, an epic romance in scope.

MGM must be waiting on those Bond profits for their marketing team

Jeremy Blackman

When I worked at Blockbuster, I noticed the movies whose box art had the characters looking right at you always seemed to rent better. A cheap but shockingly effective way to catch your attention.

Alana is doing that in the LP poster, but with the expression & pose they've gone with, it more likely has the opposite effect. "What are you lookin' at? You wanna see this movie? Pshh. Fine, whatever."

HACKANUT

Quote from: Yes on October 17, 2021, 03:31:01 PM
Quote from: HACKANUT on October 17, 2021, 03:24:46 PM
Any actual criteria for what would've been a good poster in your eyes? "Anything good" is... I mean come on.
What more do you want then an iconic logo (regardless of your aesthetic taste, it's eye catching) and a simple image that sets up the main relationship of the film?
It's checking all the boxes it needs to.

Is anyone even aware it's an iconic logo? Or what it even means? The poster is just a boring image of two people standing. There's no idea of the time frame in movie. The expressions on their faces aren't exactly comedic. The background is... a road with a car. I don't think it sets up the relationship at all--I'd guess they'd be brother and sister if anything. If they wanted a romantic angle, why not make the poster the shot of them walking down street at night or them on that waterbed? That would be similar to PDL. It just fails to show off what the movie is. It doesn't showcase Cooper's acting background either.

Something like the Lady Bird poster is far more striking with Saoirse Ronan's profile and the color of the font.

Not sure what you mean by the first sentence. "Is anyone aware"? Are you implying the logo should be setting the world on fire with publicity? It's a logo. That's never gonna happen.

As far as what it means, People seem to know considering the slew of articles connecting it to the record store.

The wardrobe and make of the car (plus the logo) does plenty to clue you into it's time frame.
Plus, that look on Coopers face screams puppy-love to me. Brother and sister? I'm not seeing that.

The lady bird poster is literally a "boring-someone-standing-with-no-indication-of-the-films-content" poster, if we're using that criteria.

To clarify, I don't think the LP poster is the best poster ever made. But you all seem to have no clue what you want.

Yes

Quote from: HACKANUT on October 17, 2021, 03:52:50 PM
Quote from: Yes on October 17, 2021, 03:31:01 PM
Quote from: HACKANUT on October 17, 2021, 03:24:46 PM
Any actual criteria for what would've been a good poster in your eyes? "Anything good" is... I mean come on.
What more do you want then an iconic logo (regardless of your aesthetic taste, it's eye catching) and a simple image that sets up the main relationship of the film?
It's checking all the boxes it needs to.

Is anyone even aware it's an iconic logo? Or what it even means? The poster is just a boring image of two people standing. There's no idea of the time frame in movie. The expressions on their faces aren't exactly comedic. The background is... a road with a car. I don't think it sets up the relationship at all--I'd guess they'd be brother and sister if anything. If they wanted a romantic angle, why not make the poster the shot of them walking down street at night or them on that waterbed? That would be similar to PDL. It just fails to show off what the movie is. It doesn't showcase Cooper's acting background either.

Something like the Lady Bird poster is far more striking with Saoirse Ronan's profile and the color of the font.

Not sure what you mean by the first sentence. "Is anyone aware"? Are you implying the logo should be setting the world on fire with publicity? It's a logo. That's never gonna happen.

As far as what it means, People seem to know considering the slew of articles connecting it to the record store.

The wardrobe and make of the car (plus the logo) does plenty to clue you into it's time frame.
Plus, that look on Coopers screams puppy-love to me. Brother and sister? I'm not seeing that.

The lady bird poster is literally a "boring-someone-standing-with-no-indication-of-the-films-content" poster, if we're using that criteria.

To clarify, I don't think the LP poster is the best poster ever made. But you all seem to have no clue what you want.

I just want a good poster. I have a clue of what I want because I literally told you two better images and ideas for the poster lol. The Lady Bird poster is her side profile with her striking red hair, bold font and a Catholic school in background. Clues you into the movie pretty easily and accessibly. The average person does not know what Licorice Pizza is or what the logo means. I don't care that AV Club released an article about it. So no it's not iconic. Overall, it's a pretty boring and bad poster that misses. It's ok to sometimes criticize things related to PTA and this movie!

Drenk

We're describing the poster and what it invokes: blandness, mostly. Not what you'd want for what is, essentially, a marketing tool. And like JB said: the trailer has a radically different tone.

We're not brainstorming another poster.
Ascension.

HACKANUT

I am more than ok with criticism of PTA.

It's just confusing when the same things you say are good in the Lady Bird poster are exactly what I'm seeing is good with the LP poster.

Yes

Quote from: Drenk on October 17, 2021, 04:01:26 PM
We're describing the poster and what it invokes: blandness, mostly. Not what you'd want for what is, essentially, a marketing tool. And like JB said: the trailer has a radically different tone.

We're not brainstorming another poster.

Yep, exactly, just bland. And nothing wrong with pointing that out!

Yes

Quote from: HACKANUT on October 17, 2021, 04:04:18 PM
I am more than ok with criticism of PTA.

It's just confusing when the same things you say are good in the Lady Bird poster are exactly what I'm seeing is good with the LP poster.

I mean,  if you don't see it nothing I can say will convince you. I just prefer the center framing of Saoirse and overall colors of the poster. Grabs me quickly. The LP poster is just bland like the Once Upon in Hollywood poster. Doesnt grab me at all. The poses, framing and expressions don't hold attention. Probably my least favorite PTA poster. At least the blue Master poster was weird

d

It seems they waned to go low-key with that poster but I agree it may lack wider appeal. For me the Inherent Vice poster, the one with the legs, is great. Still have it hanging in my living room and it looks gorgeous. Not sure it is more appealing to average moviegoers but if they went that way with the LP one... Maybe with the two of them. I do not like the one with other characters in Phoenix's hair but the ones with individual characters were ok.

Still, I kind of grew to like the LP one but I am probably biased.

HACKANUT

You say bland, I say it's doing its job.

"if you don't see it nothing I can say will convince you."

You said it.

Drenk

Well, even "doing its job" sounds like a very bland description of the poster; if it does its job in the sense that the title of the movie appears and some actors from said movie are on it, well, yeah, it does its job, sure.  :yabbse-grin:

I remember that poster for IV being in the subway: it looked great. Tired idea but great execution.

Ascension.

HACKANUT

I should clarify, for an official poster it's doing what it needs to.

We live in a world where great posters are, nearly exclusively, unofficial/fan made ones.

Yes

I just don't think it's doing what it needs to do unless what needed to be done was just release evidence of its existence. Would have same reaction if it was just text on a blank page that said "November 26"

but like I said, I'm not sure how much it will even matter. PTA has never had a real box office hit. That is unlikely to change now. Outside of s and everyone who flocked to rep theaters for the 35mm trailer, whoever sees this will see it because the reviews and awards hype, not because the poster or trailer. Experiencing the trailer completely flat-line in theaters with the dismissive boomer audience at the Bond screening just about says it all