Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Drenk

Somebody saw that tweet? I'm still trying to figure out why he would delete it...
Ascension.

Drenk

I hope Alana Kane won't waste too much time with the guy.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1449395600957509636
Ascension.

pynchonikon

Quote from: Drenk on October 17, 2021, 08:51:30 AM
I hope Alana Kane won't waste too much time with the guy.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1449395600957509636

Is there enough time for reshoots? Somebody call Ridley Scott.

wilberfan

Alma

There was that story that David Ehrlich(?) posted about how he was telling PTA how good an upcoming blockbuster was so he asked for tickets to a screening for him and Maya, which was then vetoed by someone at the very top of the studio. People figured out it was Mad Max and Warner Brothers. So maybe he's burnt some bridges...

Drenk

Oh. Yeah. I remember that. It was...interesting.
Ascension.

Alma

Found the twitter thread. I feel like I exaggerated it somewhat  :yabbse-grin:

https://twitter.com/mjsamps/status/1278415529498288132

Drenk

No, it's an absolutely fucked up and delicious anecdote.
Ascension.

Yes

Focus did originally set up Licorice Pizza but this is what happens when your movie for Warner Bros makes 8 million dollars

Drenk

Warner Bros: So? Like The Big Lebowski, right?  :)

PTA: Sure. :)
Ascension.

wrongright

Don't be surprised if/when LP bombs as hard as IV. Of course, part of that won't be their fault because of the circumstances. But look at the films it'll be going up against. Yeah....not a chance in hell. It won't matter that it's more "accessible". And this is his biggest budget.

Mostly unrelated, but just look at the numbers for The Last Duel.

pynchonikon

Quote from: wrongright on October 17, 2021, 01:49:03 PM
Don't be surprised if/when LP bombs as hard as IV. Of course, part of that won't be their fault because of the circumstances. But look at the films it'll be going up against. Yeah....not a chance in hell. It won't matter that it's more "accessible". And this is his biggest budget.

Mostly unrelated, but just look at the numbers for The Last Duel.

Pessimism is a really bad thing to spend your time on (generally speaking), unless the IV-level bombing scenario amuses you.

PTA won't be unemployed anytime soon, he always finds a way. (Like Ridley Scott does, since you mentioned)

wilberfan

Quote from: pynchonikon on October 17, 2021, 02:03:36 PM
PTA won't be unemployed anytime soon, he always finds a way. (Like Ridley Scott does, since you mentioned)

As will M. Knight Shamalan, apparently.

Yes

Licorice Pizza is totally flopping but it's never going wide enough to receive any major headlines and bad buzz. It's not even going wide until christmas and how wide exactly will that be? 500-1000 theaters? It won't be a high profile disaster like The Master which Weinstein foolishly rushed into wide after the opening weekend and PDL which had Sandler. Everything will bomb this year, PTA won't have a bigger disadvantage than any other director.

And De Luca will still fund the next one now that they've returned to each other.