Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Yes

It's definitely annoying and everyone knows I was shocked by the lack of festivals. But I know for a fact the movie has been seen and we already have accounts of it being received well. And would that be so surprising? It's PTA after all and he's not dabbling in Pynchon or Scientology.

PTA will do whatever he wants. He took Blood to Fantastic Fest without telling Paramount. He screened Master at theaters without telling Weinstein.

As for Oscars, well, that's just superfluous talk. But he's an 8 time nominee. This is the type of film industry likes. The BP front runner now is a Kenneth Branagh movie. Predicting some noms isn't a crime.

RudyBlatnoyd

Famously, the volume of a movie's marketing is in direct relation to its quality...

Seriously though, would some Marvel-style marketing blitz really help a film like this much? Cinephiles and critics already know about it and will mainly be eager to see it, and assuming that it builds good word of mouth and nets some award nominations, then some more casual filmgoers might take a punt on it, too. In an era where it's harder than ever to get large, uninvested audiences to see original, non-franchise films in the theatre, this is realistically pretty much the best case scenario possible, and I'm sure that MGM and PTA are realistic about that. So why waste money on loads of advertising if it achieves virtually nil?

Anyway, I feel like the same tedious marketing conversation keeps happening on here. Can't we speculate wildly about another aspect of the movie instead?!

wilberfan

We've covered DP's, Editors, Marketing (ad nauseum), run time, anamorphia, script-length,  who's the actor who some of us is convinced is in the film--beyond all logic?, Barbra Streizand, Paul's height, Cooper's height, Alana's age, production timing, trailer red-herrings, fairness of limited releases...  Not much left, is there? :lol:

I offered up, "How Many People-of-Color Will Appear Onscreen?" as a topic, but not much interest.

How about final box office tally?  Or who he will-or-won't work with next time?  How about whether he's vegan and why he's wearing the bucket hat?  Or whether Jack will direct a feature starring Cooper's son?

Yes

I'd rather guess the soundtrack again and wonder what catering served for lunch than to engage in the diversity discourse

wilberfan

Quote from: Yes on October 16, 2021, 06:38:14 PM
...and wonder what catering served for lunch...

Well, here's dinner at least.  Still leaves room for pondering lunch.

Drill

Quote from: wilberfan on October 16, 2021, 06:48:57 PM
Quote from: Yes on October 16, 2021, 06:38:14 PM
...and wonder what catering served for lunch...

Well, here's dinner at least.  Still leaves room for pondering lunch.

When do we get to see the full photo album?

Yes

Looks a bit heavy. PTA is a skinny guy, surely leaves a lot of leftovers

wilberfan

Those meals were SO CARB-HEAVY.  Yikes.   

(And I was vegan for 18 years! /smh.   Fun fact: TODAY is the 11th Anniversary of resuming carniverocity.)

wilberfan

Quote from: Drill on October 16, 2021, 06:51:59 PM
When do we get to see the full photo album?

Thinking of just releasing my avatars as buttons.  "Hey, Kids!  Collect the whole set!"   :splat:

wilberfan

Well, there are standees and posters.  (I guess we can relax about the marketing now.)

https://twitter.com/Jay_Lachlan_/status/1449119245464489984

https://twitter.com/ClayMHend/status/1449137945861050369

(Can someone distract the staff while I try and stuff that in my Civic?)

Lots of Bees

Something to discuss! I can't find that screenshot of Jonny Greenwood's deleted tweet so could be wrong, but: I remember reading it and thinking it implied that he wrote a couple cues that were then not used in the movie because it's only period accurate songs. Meaning no Greenwood music in the movie. But a lot of people online seem to be taking it as 'there's only a little Jonny Greenwood music in the movie.' I'm lazy for not finding it but can someone read that tweet and tell me what they think he means (or if I just completely misinterpreted him)?

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Lots of Bees on October 17, 2021, 03:42:00 AM
Something to discuss! I can't find that screenshot of Jonny Greenwood's deleted tweet so could be wrong, but: I remember reading it and thinking it implied that he wrote a couple cues that were then not used in the movie because it's only period accurate songs. Meaning no Greenwood music in the movie. But a lot of people online seem to be taking it as 'there's only a little Jonny Greenwood music in the movie.' I'm lazy for not finding it but can someone read that tweet and tell me what they think he means (or if I just completely misinterpreted him)?

I took it as, "he's only got a couple small pieces in the film."
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

polkablues

Quote from: d on September 27, 2021, 03:15:45 PM
Here is a screenshot:

You could reasonably interpret either way, but I definitely think the most reasonable interpretation is "there are a few of my cues in the movie, which otherwise consists of period music."
My house, my rules, my coffee

Tdog

I always figured LP would be a Boogie Nights situation with how the soundtrack worked with that. That has two original pieces? The intro/outro music and the scary loop he used in Sydney and Magnolia.

pynchonikon

Quote from: polkablues on October 17, 2021, 05:30:22 AM
Quote from: d on September 27, 2021, 03:15:45 PM
Here is a screenshot:

You could reasonably interpret either way, but I definitely think the most reasonable interpretation is "there are a few of my cues in the movie, which otherwise consists of period music."

That's the way I interpreted the tweet, too.