When you suggest a movie (Larry David moment)

Started by Pas, November 14, 2009, 05:46:13 AM

Pas

I'm sick of people who ask me to make them movie suggestions and then not comment them or thank me afterwards. I take my time to find a movie that would suit you, then make a little link with the trailer on your facebook, and you can't even thank me or tell me what you thought?

Oh I know what you think : ''They just haven't watched it yet'' well no! not always! I always very carefully make my suggestions. And the other day I experienced something terrible. This chick asked me for advice and I was certain she would love Rushmore. I make her a post with a video and all that. It takes me maybe 5 minutes all in all (long time).

2 days later her facebook status is : ''I wish I was attending Rushmore school'' or something like that (in french) so I'm like WTF you haven't even told me you watched it or anything and now you're claiming this is your life to the whole world. So I'm like ''ok whatever I'll beg for feedback'' and I COMMENT this status and say : ''You do look like Max Fischer'' something like that. NO REPLY. she doesn't even say : ''thanks for the great tip, does this guy have other good movies?'' or even just : ''I loved it thanks'' ...NOTHING.

So I think this girl is cool and though I have a girlfriend (basically a wife) I'm flirting a bit with this chick (nothing serious I just like talking to her, and since we don't see each other so often facebook is nice. We went to the same high school years ago, she's got a phd in some artsy thing so I like getting in arguments with her. I always win because she has no self-esteem. She drinks a lot too like me so that's nice... anyway whatever) sooooo I step on my pride and make her another post suggestion The Royal Tenenbaums, you know it's similar.

Well a week later NADA. NIET. NOTHING. No thanks, no comment...........BUT she fucking posts a youtube vid of the Tenenbaums WTF. Fuck that cunt. I'm never suggesting her a movie ever again.

socketlevel

interesting how you keep going back. while it sounds like she focuses on herself, and i would be annoyed by this too, i can't help but think why give her the time of day. do you want something you can't have? this kind of quality she exudes would be very unattractive to me, and I would not want to flirt with her because of it.

one thing is for sure, that was a roller coaster of a post, my perspective kept shifting throughout reading it. i went from blaming her, to you blaming you, then back and forth a few times. very similar to my reaction to larry david :) so good call on that.
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Quote from: Pas Rap on November 14, 2009, 05:46:13 AMI like getting in arguments with her. I always win because she has no self-esteem.

haha.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

haha didn't expect any replies

side subject : have you ever received a suggestion from someone you like/love/respect and then it's been a couple weeks and you know you're gonna see them that night so you go on wikipedia and check out a bit what it's about and then pretend you've seen it and even have a full discussion about it? I do this all the time.

picolas

i have to deal with suggestion rejection all the time at work. in my early days i used to go through whole sections suggesting 15 or more classics only to be met with "guess i'll just get Grandma's Boy" or something. the other day this happened:

"what's good?"
"In the Loop is one of the funniest things i've seen in a long time."
*hands him the case*
"hmm.. what's it about?"
"going to war under false pretences. it's not just a political thing, though.. it's densely packed with all sorts of funny.."
AND THEN HONESTLY HE SAID
"that sounds exactly like my favourite kind of movie.
*puts back on shelf*
i'm just looking for something more... entertaining."

"..son of a bitch." (but not really)

bonus story:
(to an older guy)
"i loved Two Lovers."
"uhhhh... usually something with that sort of title is reserved for members of the opposite sex... i'll pass."

a while ago someone returned Brokeback Mountain because they didn't realize it was about gay cowboys.

squints

hmmm. i used to have my own video store and i was the absolute best at finding movies for people. Someone would come in, ask for a suggestion, I'd ask them what they like or what they're in the mood for and 99% of the time they would take my suggestion, go home and watch, come back and tell me how much they loved it and ask for something else that i personally recommend. sometimes when i wasn't even at work i'd get calls from other people who worked there asking me for suggestions to suggest to people. this practice got me laid at least a dozen times. i suggested this little 20 year old indie girl watch the royal tenenbaums once, she went home, watched it, came directly back and blew me in the break room; no facebook involved. (this is true, i swear to you).

i guess what i'm saying is that i have no idea what you guys are talking about and can't possibly relate.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pas

squints lol are you serious? I can't believe it really but since you swear I guess I'll try. I guess I just would like a ''thank you'' but a blowjob sure would be nice too.

Picolas lol@favorite kind of movie thing! this post sounds like it could be in the ''stupidest thing you've ever heard.......' thread

oh man now I'm nervous about my wikipedia thing, I don't want to be the only one to do it  :(

socketlevel

ha squints you don't give yourself enough credit, i don't think she blew you because of your ability to recommend movies. that would be a slight overcompensation of a nice deed. you gotta ABC that shit like baldwin, and if you're telling the truth it sounds like you know how to close.

pas rap i think you might be the next american psycho. while i find your posts entertaining, i think you're sociopathic. you're directing your own life like it's not real and everyone in it are just characters. creating false empty connections with people. lol of course i'm only kidding, but it sure is calculated.

modage

I probably wouldn't have thought of this if I didn't read this thread this morning but a few months ago one of my girlfriends friends came over with her iPod since I had offered to load it up with music.  A week or two after that I saw she started quoting Wilco lyrics in her Facebook statuses and having conversations about them with other people but never brought it up to me!  To make things worse, literally this afternoon she came over with her iPod again which was completely full so in order to put whatever music she wanted onto it she was going through what was on it and saying things like "Elliott Smith, don't think I've listened to them, Magnetic Fields, don't think I've listened to them, Pulp, don't think I've listened to them", pretty much all my favorite bands I put on there she was now deleting. It was a major :(  

(I didn't say anything.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

socketlevel

she's living in her own irony, because those are the bands she'd be adding lol. wow weekend warriors are annoying.

oh ya side note, wilco are one of those strange bands that i think work better in theory. i only really like the song misunderstood. everything else i want to like but find actually quite boring.

pete

I read this thread a few times before realizing that last Thursday I took a girl to a fancy fundraiser for my job in which maya angelou and danny glover were present.  I wasn't necessarily interested in her though she was cute 'cause I didn't know her and I've been just getting good at not falling for every cute talented girl right away.  at the end of the night we were on the bus and she told me she'd been insomniac and needed movies to fall asleep.  I started telling her about how I had movies and she could come over and check them out sometime, she said ok before I said "sometime" and then it was really awkward because when I finished my sentence I realized it sounded like I added the "sometime" after she wanted to come over that night.

I'm really good at recommending movies food and music or just things in life, but really bad at making them romantic.  every good thing that happened to me involving a girl had been a fluke or the Good Lord's mercy.  Seriously, I believe that the Good Lord wants young people to hook up otherwise there's no way I ended up with some of those girls.  and they're not even freaky.

oh I had a Larry David moment when I saw this fat black girl I knew from down the street and snuck up to her to put my arm around her, she turned around and it wasn't the fat black girl I knew at all - just someone of that size and hairstyle.  I said sorry I thought you were my friend Page and she said "PAGE?!  But I'm much smaller than her!"  She was by no means much smaller than her, but instead of contesting that, I just said "oh sorry, I'm new to the city and where I grew up everyone was the same color, I'm still getting used to seeing different people of different races...it's a beautiful thing!"  So I had to play racist for the fat girl to not feel fat.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Quote from: squints on November 14, 2009, 04:05:34 PM
hmmm. i used to have my own video store and i was the absolute best at finding movies for people. Someone would come in, ask for a suggestion, I'd ask them what they like or what they're in the mood for and 99% of the time they would take my suggestion, go home and watch, come back and tell me how much they loved it and ask for something else that i personally recommend. sometimes when i wasn't even at work i'd get calls from other people who worked there asking me for suggestions to suggest to people. this practice got me laid at least a dozen times. i suggested this little 20 year old indie girl watch the royal tenenbaums once, she went home, watched it, came directly back and blew me in the break room; no facebook involved. (this is true, i swear to you).

i guess what i'm saying is that i have no idea what you guys are talking about and can't possibly relate.

HAHA.

EPIC.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

I was able to meet one of my current good friends based on her movie recommendation. Years ago, she was working at a Sam Goody and I was just roaming the store. Had no intention to buy anything, but she asked if I needed help and I said no and she made a casual comment that if I wanted to see a good movie, I should buy "Ghost World". It had just come out on video and I hadn't seen it and had little interest to even watch it. I surprised myself by buying the movie on the spot and watching it later that day. Afterwards I realized the director was the same guy who made Crumb (I didn't know at the time) so when I went back, I told her I enjoyed the movie and asked if she had seen Crumb. She hadn't and so I recommended a movie back to her. Thankfully she rented it that week and loved it.

No blow jobs decorate my story, but it's interesting because she is still one of my better friends. It was such a casual moment that had no expectation to be anything, so I had a good recommendation experience. Other than that I'm usually terrible with giving recommendations or following up on recommendations that other people give me. I usually just play up my stupid when it comes to talking movies with people.

Pas

Quote from: pete on November 14, 2009, 07:50:41 PM
I said sorry I thought you were my friend Page and she said "PAGE?!  But I'm much smaller than her!"

HAHA oh man this actually could be in Curb anyday oh god, too funny!

Good stories guys, I don't want to pat myself on the back but my thread rules.