Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Drenk

Wow, I'm not and I had access to it earlier...I sent quotes to a friend:

QuoteAnderson tells a story about reading film listings in a historical paper — a hobby of his. "I'm looking at an old newspaper from the 1950s," he says, "which everyone sort of looks back at and says, 'God, that was a glorious time' — and I'm like, look, I just looked at the newspaper and there's maybe three movies that I've heard of which are fantastic, that are still classics. But there's 50 movies out that I've never heard of — [and] each one looks like a bigger piece of shit than the last one!

QuoteI later express a degree of scepticism at his frequent displays of humility. Anderson has never made a poorly reviewed film; this summer There Will Be Blood was ranked by The New York Times as the greatest movie of the 21st century so far.

"As Kendrick Lamar says . . . " he says, drifting off and lounging back into his seat.

I finish the sentence, quoting the rapper's song from last year: "'Bitch, be humble.'"

Anderson points a finger at me and grins.

Ascension.

d

Alethia

d

Strangely enough Dren's link didn't work for me either but mine did but it doesn't now.
Anyway, if it's not against the rules I can paste it here or in the interviews thread or save it and pm.

Robyn

Quote from: Lewton on January 08, 2018, 05:37:23 PM
I went looking through the back pages of this forum and found bits of a Total Film interview from 2003:

Quote from:
PTA: "I don't have a career plan so I can't say for sure but I don't think I have much interest in doing anything that I don't generate. I know Sam Raimi has a love of comic books and an interest in doing Spider-Man, but that's another level of working and making movies that I think is probably a bit more invasive than I could manage. But I'm still very young and there's a bunch of genres out there that I want to tackle."

TF: "Such as?"

PTA: "Every single one of 'em. I mean, if you said 'western' I could go on for ages about westerns. That'd be great. Or a good old-fashioned English period drama. And I'd love to make a fuckin' scary movie. Real terror movie. One that'd make you go: 'I'm going to see this to get scared. Something like that.'"

It's now well over a decade later and his take on "a good old-fashioned English period drama" is out (I mean, I haven't seen the new film yet, unfortunately, but I'm assuming that label more or less fits).

Stanley Kubrick made his "good old-fashioned British period drama" when he was 47, and so did PTA. The logical conclusion is that he will make the horror film next. It's almost a fact.

Sincerely,
Pubrick

Heisenberg

Maybe Warner Bros. could offer him that "Overlook Hotel" project they were trying to get made a few years ago.

supermarket trolley

Does anybody else remember him saying something about having an idea for an action movie influenced by Baraka? Or did I imagine that? This was probably in a late-90s/ early 2000s interview. So I'm hoping if the next thing involves ideas from 98/99 it has something to do with this. But again, maybe I'm tripping?

Drenk

QuoteI have an idea that has wide-open spaces, which would be really fun to do.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/director-paul-thomas-anderson-on-phantom-thread-mortality.html

Ok, I found the interview where he talked  about wide-open spaces. So. His next movie will be filmed in scope, set in the present the day.

(I hope.)

Ascension.

Tdog

He talked about working on material about feuding families around the time of There Will Be Blood. I imagine parts might have made it into the movie but a lot of it was shelved/drawered.

wilder

Minor Phantom Thread Spoilers

From the Fresh Air interview on NPR:

QuoteTerry Gross: It's also a ghost story. I mean 'Phantom' is in the title of the movie, his mother is kind of like a ghost in the story because she haunts his dreams, he sees images of her - he feels like she is watching over him. Are you interested in ghost stories, too?

PTA: Very much, to the point where I'd like to make one that dealt with it for 2 solid hours rather than as a kind of 'hovering element' - we have it as a hovering element. I'd like to sort of address it dead-on. I love the idea of ghosts. I'd like to think that there are ghosts around me, helping me, coming to me in my dreams. It's always a great feeling when you get visited by someone from the beyond who isn't with you, anymore.

csage97

Quote from: Drenk on January 19, 2018, 06:41:24 PM
QuoteI have an idea that has wide-open spaces, which would be really fun to do.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/director-paul-thomas-anderson-on-phantom-thread-mortality.html

Ok, I found the interview where he talked  about wide-open spaces. So. His next movie will be filmed in scope, set in the present the day.

(I hope.)

I hope so too. That's one of the qualms I have with the last three movies. The Master did its thing with portraiture, which is fine, but I was hoping for a free-wheeling panoramic with Inherent Vice. I still love IV, but I thought some more Boogie Nights-esque sprawl and less flat photography closeups would've been better. Feels too claustrophobic.

Spoilers

Phantom Thread had the claustrophobic feel to much of it -- which is fine because it is a chamber drama -- but it would've been cool to see openness to the frames. The setting feels British, sure, but the period and sense of space outside of the house feels undetermined. It doesn't much engage with the outside world. Again, that's fine, and it's still a damn great movie.

/Spoilers

I guess it comes down to personal preference. I've opened up to the ultra closeup thing, but my heart still lies with wide open, panoramic scale shots being included. Obviously they're harder to get if there's budget and choreography/coordination and set design involved. Could be very hard when it comes to period pieces.

csage97

I should also add that

Spoilers
Phantom Thread has tons of camera movement, which I love, albeit in closed spaces. But that camera movement is damn good.
/Spoilers

jviness02

http://bit.ly/2BHjlwO

If this ends up becoming a thing, I'll be officially convinced he's stuck in period pieces due to watching so much TCM, which isn't a problem!

Alethia

I have no problem with PTA continuing to do period pieces.

Gold Trumpet

His youthful days are over. He said recently to Bill Simmons he wished more directors would act their age in what they made.