Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

polkablues

Not to step on Richard Matheson's moment ("Hell House" is a great horror novel and everyone should read it), but this was the Gandolfini picture I had seen that prompted my original comment:

My house, my rules, my coffee

rewatched true romances gandolfini scene.
jesus, i will miss him.
matheson was waiting to die for a while now, he already accepted his legendness.

wilder

Photographer Bert Stern

Photographer and filmmaker Bert Stern, best known for shooting a collection of 2,500 images of Marilyn Monroe six weeks before her death, died Wednesday in NYC according to reports. He was 83. The commercial photog got his start at Look magazine, where he first befriended Stanley Kubrick; he'd later go on to shoot publicity stills on Kubrick's Lolita including the film's iconic poster image featuring starlet Sue Lyon, a lollipop, and a pair of heart-shaped sunglasses. In 1959 Stern co-directed the music docu Jazz On A Summer's Day, about the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival, which was later inducted into the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress in 1999. Stern's Monroe snapshots, however, were his lasting legacy. First commissioned by Vogue magazine in 1962, the photo shoot dubbed The Last Sitting intimately captured Monroe in a room at the Hotel Bel-Air and was released in book form in 1982 and 2000. In 2010 Stern was the subject of the First Run-released documentary Bert Stern: Original Madman, directed by wife Shannah Laumeister.

jenkins

i'm bummed when people die. less bummed if i watch 36 chambers

QuoteLau died on 25 June 2013 at Union Hospital, Hong Kong. He had been battling lymphatic cancer for two decades

Lau Kar-leung (28 July 1934 – 25 June 2013), also known as Liu Chia-liang, was a Hong Kong-based Chinese actor, filmmaker, choreographer and martial artist. Lau is best known for the films he made in the 1970s and 1980s for the Shaw Brothers Studio. One of his most famous works is The 36th Chamber of Shaolin which starred Gordon Liu, as well as Drunken Master II which starred Jackie Chan.

long time coming but you have officially won first place of cryptic confusing members over sickfins. it was close. emphasis on confusing.

jenkins

hmm. i think there are ~3 people here who watch movies like i watch movies, ~5 people who make stuff i like watching. they don't confuse me, i don't confuse them. the rest is social madness. internet. happens

a guy died and i'll watch his movie and remember him

jenkins

this is your day. you're having a good day. multiple board layers

you're going to get me back to "wtf is this place?" don't do that. what's the point? take away the points

pete

one of my favorite scenes from Lau - in a movie called "Dirty Ho", in which a dude battles two assassins under everyone's nose, as if they were just drinking tea. really cool choreography and execution:

I always thought I'd get to meet him or something.

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on July 02, 2013, 02:10:16 PM
i'm bummed when people die. less bummed if i watch 36 chambers

QuoteLau died on 25 June 2013 at Union Hospital, Hong Kong. He had been battling lymphatic cancer for two decades

Lau Kar-leung (28 July 1934 – 25 June 2013), also known as Liu Chia-liang, was a Hong Kong-based Chinese actor, filmmaker, choreographer and martial artist. Lau is best known for the films he made in the 1970s and 1980s for the Shaw Brothers Studio. One of his most famous works is The 36th Chamber of Shaolin which starred Gordon Liu, as well as Drunken Master II which starred Jackie Chan.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

mmmm. really glad you brought up dirty ho. i've seen that trailer in theaters multiple times, and i always wonder if they're being genuine or making fun of the title. sounds genuine to me. thanks for that

mogwai

mogwai

Wtf is wrong in the water?

MacGuffin

R.I.P. Eileen Brennan
BY THE DEADLINE TEAM

Veteran actress Eileen Brennan, best known for her roles in Private Benjamin, The Sting and The Last Picture Show, has died. Brennan passed away Sunday of bladder cancer according to reports. She was 80. Brennan received a best supporting actress Oscar nomination for her role as the tough Captain Doreen Lewis in Private Benjamin opposite Goldie Hawn. She also reprised the role for the CBS TV adaptation, winning an Emmy and Golden Globe for her performance. Brennan made her feature film debut in 1967′s Divorce American Style. Her most memorable film roles include brothel madam Billie in George Roy Hill's Oscar-winning 1973 film The Sting and Mrs. Peacock in 1985′s Clue. She also appeared in Peter Bogdanovich's classic 1971 film The Last Picture Show for which she received a best supporting actress BAFTA nomination, and his 1974 adaptation of the Henry James novella Daisy Miller. Brennan's other TV credits include Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, Will & Grace, 7th Heaven, Newhart and thirtysomething.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Karen Black Dies at 74
Actress-singer starred in 'Nashville,' 'Easy Rider,' 'Five Easy Pieces'

Karen Black, who was Oscar-nommed for "Five Easy Pieces" and starred in films including "Nashville," and "Easy Rider," died Thursday after a long battle with cancer. She was 74.

Her husband Stephen Eckelberry announced her death on Facebook, saying "It is with great sadness that I have to report that my wife and best friend Karen Black has just passed away, only a few minutes ago. Thank you all for all your prayers and love, they meant so much to her as they did to me."

She often played women on the edge, actresses and hookers, and though she had a memorable comeback in Robert Altman's "Come Back to the Five and Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean," she largely worked in dozens of B-movies after the early 1980s.

Her first major film role came in Francis Ford Coppola's 1966 "You're a Big Boy Now,"  and she also appeared in TV shows including "Adam 12," "Mannix," "Judd for the Defense."

Among her other roles were Nancy Pryor, the stewardess who is forced to fly the plane in 1974′s "Airport 1975," as an actress in John Schlesinger's "The Day of the Locust" and as a kidnapper in Alfred Hitchcock's last film "Family Plot."

Born Karen Blanche Ziegler in Park Ridge, Ill., she attended Northwestern U. and before moving to New York to appear in Off-Broadway productions.  She took the name Black from her first husband, Charles Black.

Black was also married briefly to actor Robert Burton and to screenwriter L.M. Kit Carson, with whom she had a son, Hunter Carson. She married Eckelberry in 1987.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks