A.I. observations

Started by AnubisGOJ, March 18, 2003, 08:17:26 PM

Derek

I don't think so. David was too much of an innocent.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasi believe i read somewhere that his research on the Napolean film he wanted to do is going to be released this year. anyone know?

From E! News - Jul 5, 2002

Kubrick's "Napoleon" Booked

And you thought A.I. was Stanley Kubrick's final project from beyond the grave.

The late filmmaker, who died three years ago, never had a chance to see his film on Napoleon Bonaparte make it to screen. Kubrick, known for his militaristic attention to detail during his five-decade career, had obsessed over the late French emperor and dreamed of telling the story cinematically for more than three decades.

But although the film was never completed, the project will get released--in book form. Thanks to Kubrick's family, fans will soon be able to read Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon: His Greatest Film Never Made, an insider's look into the project that haunted him until the end of his days.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the book is being put together by Kubrick's widow, Christiane, with the help of her brother, Jan Harlan, who served as the director's executive producer on all his films since 1975's Barry Lyndon.

It not only will feature Kubrick's original script, which covered the full span of Napoleon's life, but also a plethora of preproduction material amassed during the filmmaker's 30-year effort to make the movie, including notes on locations in Romania, France and Britain that were scouted for the film in the 1970s.

Harlan announced the book at the Moscow International Film Festival, where he was screening his own biographical documentary on Kubrick's life and career as part of a Kubrick retrospective.

Harlan said the planned book would be a testament to Kubrick's creative vision and a cinematic ambition never realized when the master died suddenly of a heart attack in March 1999 at the age of 70 soon after completing work on Eyes Wide Shut.

"From 1969 until his death, Stanley was fascinated by Napoleon," Harlan said. "Although Kubrick films are very different in form, there is a common denominator--the human folly and vanity built into our species that appears to be our downfall."

"Napoleon interested Stanley very much because here was a man with a huge talent and tremendous charisma, who in the end failed only because of his emotions and vanity. Napoleon was not able to control his emotions--it was his Achilles' heel."

Harlan also noted that the research Kubrick conducted for his epic alone was monumental, encompassing more than 18,000 books and documents detailing every aspect of Napoleon's life and military career, as well as 7,000 location photographs.

Given its breadth, the total budget for his proposed biopic would have topped $120 million, Harlan said, making the film tough to get green-lighted. Further, Napoleon films like 1970's Waterloo with Rod Steiger have bombed, making financing even more difficult.

All is not lost for film buffs, however.

Harlan--who helped bring one of the director's other unfinished works, A.I., to fruition (he executive-produced the Steven Spielberg-helmed film)--said he would love to see someone resurrect Kubrick's vision of Napoleon.

"It would be absolutely fantastic if it could be made," he said.

In the meantime, fans will have to content themselves waiting for the book. Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon is expected to hit shelves sometime next year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

the screenplay has allready been out on the net for quite some time

http://web.archive.org/web/20010625040837/www.interlink.es/cookies/guion/Napoleon.txt

at the end, there are a few "production notes"

Duck Sauce

Quote from: cecil b. demented
at the end, there are a few "production notes

I like this part talking about where the bulk of the expenses will be:

1.  Large numbers of extras.
2.  Large numbers of military uniforms.
3.  Large numbers of expensive sets.
4.  Over-priced movie stars.

Gold Trumpet

The ending to A.I. just being david left in the water wouldn't necessarily be more Kubrickian, but it would be more darker. I always felt that would be a way someone like Scorsese would have ended it. I do believe though the ending in place now is more Kubrickian because I think there are anti narrative and anti expectations within it.

~rougerum

tpfkabi

thanks for the link. have you read it? i wondered what people's reaction to it was? would it have stood up with his other work?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

bonanzataz

I want to read this so badly, but I'm going to have to wait for the book. I don't want to waste paper and I don't want to read it on the computer.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Cecil

i havent read it yet. and i think ill just have to get the book for the same reasons

Victor

the movie was a dark fairy tale, thats why kubrickski wanted speilberg to direct in the first place. the ending wouldve sucked if david was just left there, it wouldnt have fit at all, it wouldve been pessimistic just for the sake of being pessimistic. i like the ending so much more the way it is, because its a proper fairy tale ending, and yet its realistic and possible in the context of the film, and kind of dark as well. and maybe im a sucker, but when she tells david she loves him, fuck, that gets me every time.

the one thing that really lacks, stanley-wise, is rouge city. its well done, sure, but could you imagine how insane and hyper-sexual it wouldve been if kubrick did it?

this is in my top three for speilberg films, along with close encounters. im saving a spot for schindlers list, cause i havent seen it yet. i should just sell out and get the vhs.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Cecil

of course its hard to say which ending would be best for kubricks version cause kubrick wouldve made the film quite differently.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Lesterthe one thing that really lacks, stanley-wise, is rouge city. its well done, sure, but could you imagine how insane and hyper-sexual it wouldve been if kubrick did it?

From IMDB:

In order to keep the film's PG-13 rating, a building resembling a penis was digitally removed from the "Rouge City" set.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

spielberg! you bad boy, you

Victor

oh yeah, Little Mermaid can have penises cramming the screen, but AI cant even have one? FUCK the MPAA. Fuck it hard with Kubricks dead fat cock. im gonna make it my personal mission in the industry to make the rating system obsolete.
are you gonna eat with us too?

©brad

Over time the people on the MPAA must turn into fucking lunatics. They have to endure the 'rough cuts' of movies none of us get to see, well atleast not until an uncut dvd is released. They see all the sick shit over and over. I think natural Born Killers went through some 50 different cuts before the MPAA finally released it. Eventually those mo'fo's must go insane. Or maybe they get so used to seeing sick shit that it doesn't even affect them anymore.

bonanzataz

Quote from: DerekI don't think so. David was too much of an innocent.

Quote from: jtmI saw this kid in Long Beach when he was filming AI.  He was playing football with some guys in a park and I was walking by and he ran over by me and I yelled to him "I see dead people" and he stared back at me for a second and said "real fucking funny asshole!"
I was so mad, i almost abducted him.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls