Idioterne

Started by Gamblour., December 05, 2005, 09:32:38 PM

Gamblour.

Ok, so it's been a while since I've see this but it doesn't have it's own thread, which it should. The Idiots hit me harder than any movie I can recall. Harder than Magnolia. The layers of this film are too many, too deep. The questions that arise and just the raw emotion. When the line between spazzing and pure animal emotion becomes blurred, that's when this movie is incredible. Also the orgy is, as von Trier has called, very dangerous and incredibly neccessary. The movie transcends itself through this erotic act, this physical act, done by people faking physical ailments. I can't express how much I love this movie. The documentary feel, even showing the camera man at one point, but it works, it actually grounds it even more.
WWPTAD?

ono

I've had this flick on my list of must-sees for a couple years now, probably ever since I saw Dancer in the Dark.  Pretty hard to get a hold of.  Every time I think to, it's not available on VHS at the local VisArt or whathaveya.  After Dancer in the Dark, I'd follow Von Trier anywhere, though I'm in the minority that thinks Dogville is a huge misstep, and Manderlay will probably be more of the same.  The Idiots should've been a Criterion a long time ago.  No clue why it isn't.  I'm trying to get ahold of it from ebay or something.  That is all.

Gold Trumpet

I wasn't able to find out exactly why, but I imagine the reason The Idiots has not been released by Criterion is a rights issue. The fact that no Von Trier has been released since The Element of Crime is telling to that point since he is high priority for their fan base. I've read the recent R2 release is a good disc and does include english subtitles.

Gamblour.

Yeah, I only saw this summer during study abroad, I've never come across it over here.

I'm a huge Von Trier fan but have somehow managed to avoid Dancer in the Dark, except bits and pieces. Basically, I've only seen The Idiots and Breaking the Waves, but that's enough for me to believe he's the best filmmaker around, or was 10 years ago.
WWPTAD?

Garam

I think the American cut censors part of the orgy.

I saw this film about a week ago. I really liked it. I definately need to see it again, because i was pretty woozy when I was watching it. I thought the scene with the bikers was great.

Characters were pretty well developed. Easily the least melodramatic of his 'Golden heart' trilogy.

Gamblour.

yeah, there's like a billion cuts, a lot are censored. check imdb for different versions.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

they show it all the time on tv here, uncut, and the dvd is easy to find.

seen it more times than breaking the waves now, and it still holds up. alternately hilarious and tragic, i especially love the ending, WOW, most awkward moment ever.
under the paving stones.