V For Vendetta

Started by Ghostboy, March 04, 2005, 11:57:22 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on March 17, 2006, 07:29:36 AM
i'm seeing this tonite, but if this was a straight adaptation with a little more emphasis on action why didnt you like it?  what did the comic do a million times better?
... you might as well throw Watchmen in the fire right now.
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Walrus on March 17, 2006, 12:24:51 AM
I finally saw it and boy was I let down.  There was little more than a straight adaptation, minus a few key scenes and plus more focus on the action.

I didn't imagine V to sound like Hugo Weaving, either.  It worked, but I still imagined a more secretive voice, one sort of distorted through a vocalizer.

I'm still a huge fan of the comic, the movie did little for me that the comic book didn't do a million times better.

Was this more or less of a letdown than From Hell?

Ghostboy

From Hell doesn't even count as an adaptation, compared to this.

I'll be seeing it again on Sunday, to see if it lives up to that crazy morning in Decemeber...

Reinhold

i expected it to be a little more intriguing visually, and some of the nuances they cut from the comic in order to make room for more action seemed like unnecessary losses. [i didn't read the whole thing, but i have read sections of the graphic novel(s) at work] in the movie, i thought that natalie portman's character's motivation for helping V was ambiguous... she's not as neutral in the comic, and i don't think that changing her personality for the screen really serves any purpose.

i think that a lot of people are tempted to compare this to sin city, in which case, V will come up short. even on its own, this flick didn't do much for me.

as for the message of the movie, i think that there's really a lot of work to be done on the audience's part to figure out what, exactly, the message is and whether it's really helpful to society.

i'm sure i'll have more to say later.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Neil

I will say, i've read a few vertigo titles (100 bullets, Sin City, Y The last man, and others) i never got the chance to pick up this one, from what i've read they stayed pretty true to the graphic novels?  was, this an overall let down to a V fan?

Personally i enjoyed it, i really like a film that when you get finished watching it you say, "man, i can't believe that was 2/3 hours long"
where as they didn't succeed in doing this to the fullest extent, i was overall interested for the majority of the time.

Visually, i didn't think there was anything that revolutionary, and as for this
Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on March 17, 2006, 12:11:15 PM
i think that a lot of people are tempted to compare this to sin city, in which case, V will come up short. even on its own, this flick didn't do much for me.

I aagree with that, but i really didn't put much into comparing the two, i knew they were both on the vertigo line, however, i just kind of tried to look objectively at it.

I'm trying to think of more to say, so i'll get back on that.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

sheshothim

SPOILERS SPOILERS

Here was my favorite part. Everyone will probably ridicule me for it, but I haven't read this, I don't know if the action overpowered the story:

The last big fight scene, where, of course, V is killed. I thought it was where the Wachowski's shone. I just really liked the knife fighting. I get into stuff like that. Fight scenes are my favorite.

SPOILERS SPOILERS
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

The Red Vine

Quote from: sheshothim on March 17, 2006, 01:19:52 PM
Here was my favorite part. Everyone will probably ridicule me for it, but I haven't read this, I don't know if the action overpowered the story:

The last big fight scene, where, of course, V is killed. I thought it was where the Wachowski's shone. I just really liked the knife fighting. I get into stuff like that. Fight scenes are my favorite.

remember to put SPOILERS before typing something like that.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

sheshothim

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

Neil

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: RedVines on March 17, 2006, 01:45:36 PM
Quote from: sheshothim on March 17, 2006, 01:19:52 PM

remember to put SPOILERS before typing something like that.

ahaha.. for sure. you got me, you should probably modify that.

I'm planning to see this tomorrow and so far it seems like not a good out look.
I wasn't excited over the trailer to be honest. But I figured the fight scenes could be enjoyable. We'll see.

Reinhold

admin edit: [size=9]SPOILERS[/size]

i hear that the last one where V gets killed is pretty good.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

sheshothim

How do you like THAT!? ^^^

Neil

[size=9]SPOILERS[/size]

Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on March 17, 2006, 04:30:52 PM
i hear that the last one where V GETS KILLED is pretty good.

Oh, you have no idea.

sheshothim

You shutup Neil! I know where you live!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Neil on March 17, 2006, 01:02:40 PM
I will say, i've read a few vertigo titles (...Sin City...)

I believe Sin City was Dark Horse (not that it matters much).

The more I thought about this movie the less I feel for it.  I think that, as a film, V for Vendetta is to anarchy what Crash is to racism.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye