28 Days Later

Started by bonanzataz, February 25, 2003, 07:59:34 PM

mutinyco

Thanks for the hook up with the link, but you said something I disagree with. Perhaps you phrased it incorrectly. You wrote:

>>This is the epidemic that the attitudes fostered by films like Fight Club will eventually cause. <<

When I linked Fight Club and 28 Days Later, it wasn't to suggest that movies like Fight Club will lead to events like those portrayed in 28 Days. I was suggesting that on a similar level they were both critiques of our homogenized consumer culture and repressed violent urges. I don't think Fight Club intended to incite violence, so much as it attempted to satirize the ultimate effects of broken families, supressed sexuality, and the social evolution of man from hunter to consumer outpacing his biological and psychological evolution to that mechanized society.

I think 28 Days Later took it a step further. This RAGE is a symptom not of these movies, but of a repressed, homogenized, mechanical society which tries to rid itself of these base instincts. It's a push down/pop up effect. It's the repetition of daily life that leads people to require bigger and bigger booms. We're slowly learning to love the bomb...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

DavTMcGowan

Maybe the disagreement stems from my general dislike of Fight Club and its popularity.  Granted I haven't seen fight club in a few years and I certainly understand the satirical aspects.  In any case, it was a interesting article and good read.  After these last few posts I reread the article when I created the link and realized that I had read it wrong.  I was hoping nobody would call me on it.   :oops:  

Either way, whatever meaning you find in a film is valid, whether right or wrong.  For me, I saw 28 Days Later as satirizing not only the depravity of society but also the media that foster and popularize those ills.  Maybe the problem is just that I never viewed Fight Club as a serious film; always just took it as an example of "cool".  If, as you say Fincher is actually satirizing, then I'll get my hands on it and give it a more respectful viewing.

BTW, you write beautifully.   :-D

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SHAFTR

I just saw this last night and it wasn't what I expected.  I did really enjoy it and I thought the first half was excellent.  I wasn't a big fan of the first part of the tunnel sequence (cab driving) but I did still enjoy the film.  

This is the only thing I have ever seen where the quick cutting and strobe effect almost made me nauseus (sp?), I had to look away at one point b/c I felt like I was going to seizure.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

EL__SCORCHO

Just saw this movie an hour ago and liked it. Some parts where pretty fucking scary. I didnt like the ending very much, but the rest was fine. The cinematography was a little annoying at times, but the I thought the humor in the film was pretty cool. Overall , I'm pretty pleased with it. Good stuff.

Traffican

The movie (sort of) reminded me of "Omega Man." If Chuck Heston wasn't plant food he would've been perfect for the lead...
Where are you my little yellow friend?

Ravi

Well, I finally saw it after missing a sneak preview a few weeks ago and the theater filling up at a free screening last Wednesday.

I liked it.  I thought it was an interesting movie.  Sort of reminded me of  Dawn of the Dead where there are only a handful of normal people and everyone else is either dead or zombies.  Excellent suspense and mood.  The cinematography was terrific, though they could have turned down the edge enhancement on the camera.

The audience was very immature, though.  When we first see the main character naked on the hospital bed they snickered.  Then later on when he's showering and we see his butt they snickered again.  This is why I hate full theaters during serious films  :evil:

SHAFTR

Quote from: Ravi

The audience was very immature, though.  When we first see the main character naked on the hospital bed they snickered.  Then later on when he's showering and we see his butt they snickered again.  This is why I hate full theaters during serious films  :evil:

I went to the midnight showing on a weekend and it was full of people who bothered me, since half were drunk.  Everything seemed to be funny, and i hate comments during a film at a theatre.

Thecowgoooesmooo

QuoteThe audience was very immature, though. When we first see the main character naked on the hospital bed they snickered. Then later on when he's showering and we see his butt they snickered again. This is why I hate full theaters during serious films

Welcome to Life.

Anyways, I saw allot of Dawn of the Dead influences along with other films. It was nice that it was shot on DV. I'm sure thats the look he wanted and it really cut down the budget, but I think the film could have benefited from film soo much better. 28 Days Later I think would have looked so amazing if shot on film. For example, the forest scenes where the two soldiers take them to be executed... I kept thinking in my head, "Man if this was shot on film, it would have looked sooooo clean and nice"

Looks nice, but still I would have much rather had a film look on 28 Days Later.

chris

SHAFTR

I really enjoy the look of DV.  I agree that some movies work better on DV and some work better on Film but I think for the majority, it doesn't matter.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: RaviThis is why I hate full theaters during serious films  :evil:

Uh... I'm not sure a movie about zombies was supposed to be THAT serious.

Quote from: SHAFTR
I went to the midnight showing on a weekend and it was full of people who bothered me, since half were drunk.  Everything seemed to be funny, and i hate comments during a film at a theatre.

I had a couple of drunks at my showing Friday, too.  They didn't bother near as much as the up-tight attendees pouting and shushing them the whole time, though.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Pawbloe
Quote from: SHAFTR

I had a couple of drunks at my showing Friday, too.  They didn't bother near as much as the up-tight attendees pouting and shushing them the whole time, though.

I don't shush them and I don't mind them during the Trailers, but when the film starts...It bothers me...and cell phones...they bother me too.

Ravi

Quote from: Pawbloe
Quote from: RaviThis is why I hate full theaters during serious films  :evil:

Uh... I'm not sure a movie about zombies was supposed to be THAT serious.

By "serious" I mean "not a comedy."

polkablues

I cannot say enough about how amazingly brilliantly amazing I found this movie to be.  So I won't.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Myxo

Quote from: bonanzatazFrom the director of Trainspotting and The Beach (Danny Boyle). This movie looks really good. I wanted to see it after people in London were talking about it and said it was good. Doesn't come to American cinemas until August, unfortunately. Anybody seen it? It seems like it would be really creepy. Deserted cities freak me out. "WHERE IS EVERYBODY!"

I was expecting a little of the old "in-out" towards the end. Great film though!