28 Days Later

Started by bonanzataz, February 25, 2003, 07:59:34 PM

mutinyco

So, go watch a slick music video. The movie looked great. The editing hid nothing. (What have you got against editing if you love M.S. so much?) The degraded image was the point. It wasn't supposed to be polished. Ever watch anything of Altman's? He INTENTIONALLy degraded him films through massive filters, flashing, pushing, anything to ugly it up. It's just another aesthetic choice. That was a really immature post SoNowThen.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Hahahahahahaha!!!! That's classic.

Video looks video. It cannot hold detail like film. It's highlights hurt the overall picture. It looks flatter than film.

I like grain. I love Eyes Wide Shut. I like softness, I love the early 70's Altman movies. I LOVE FILM.

As much as I'd like to say it looks great, video just doesn't. It doesn't look great. Not in this flick, anyway.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

Not to mention the ugly edge enhancement.

http://www.davisdvd.com/News/daily_news.htm

THEATRICAL NEWS

In an unprecedented move, Fox Searchlight Pictures will attach the original, darker ending to all 1400 prints of 28 Days Later now playing in theaters. Look for the new final reel to show up on July 25th.

mutinyco

Of course video doesn't look as good as film. But I;m starting to like it. It has its own quality. And I did think it looked good. Real good.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: mutinycoThis is a film about survival amidst the collapse of society. How once you strip away the mechanisms of society all you're left with is a base individual who acts more on instinct than anything else -- whether it's the army guys wanting to rape the women to procreate or Jim's descent into natural rage.

So what. That explanation could easily be attributed to any of the Jason movies too, but it doesn't make the film very interesting. You say I have a problem with the violence - Yes, I do. Not on amy moral level, but on the level of how easy it is to resort to that for pushing the drama. Just everything in this movie in trying to address the ideas is through ways obvious and over played. With a more suspense film, at least the environment of a post acopalyptic world could have been felt more and action presented in a more effectful manner dealing with story. Everything in the movie is just dealing the cliche of a genre that acts to block anything else from getting in.

Also, you 2 points to why I am wrong just get down to basic arguments saying the popularity of the movie generally wins out my opinion. If thats your defense, I expect you to be defending Michael Bay very soon.

And for the most part, I agree with you on Silence. The body of the work though is too good so the end is excused.

~rougerum

mutinyco

It's not that the film is popular so it must be right. It's that films rarely elicit discussion about their ideas. This one has. That's a good thing.

-St. Joe

MacGuffin

Saw this today, but why interrupt a thread I've been chopping because I have no idea what is being debated with my opinion? Carry on.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

I don't have anything to add. I just didn't want to see T3 at the top of the pile.

-St. Joe

pete

just saw this today too, pretty cool.  a lot of their day-for-nights were pretty obvious though.
I read an article on it in the american cinematographer magazine, those guys went through a lot to shoot this film.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SHAFTR

Anyone get annoyed by the Pepsi product placements?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Sleuth

I was more annoyed when somebody said "LOOK, A PEPSI PRODUCT PLACEMENT"
I like to hug dogs

SHAFTR

Quote from: tremoloslothI was more annoyed when somebody said "LOOK, A PEPSI PRODUCT PLACEMENT"

Hmmm, I wasn't that obvious..i leaned over to my friend and said, "Drink Pepsi"
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

markums2k

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: tremoloslothI was more annoyed when somebody said "LOOK, A PEPSI PRODUCT PLACEMENT"

Hmmm, I wasn't that obvious..i leaned over to my friend and said, "Drink Pepsi"

Not nearly as horrible as those McDonald's "Pirates like Big Macs and so should you" commercials.  Give me forty in-focus Pepsi cans over that shit any day.  And Pepsi tastes pretty damn great.

Gold Trumpet

When seeing the Pepsi placement, my comment to myself was: "Wow, this movie isn't as indie as they say."

~rougerum

mutinyco

It was financed by Fox Searchlight. Part of 20th Century Fox. Part of News Corp.

-St. Joe