28 Days Later

Started by bonanzataz, February 25, 2003, 07:59:34 PM

bonanzataz

From the director of Trainspotting and The Beach (Danny Boyle). This movie looks really good. I wanted to see it after people in London were talking about it and said it was good. Doesn't come to American cinemas until August, unfortunately. Anybody seen it? It seems like it would be really creepy. Deserted cities freak me out. "WHERE IS EVERYBODY!"

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/28_days_later/
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sleuth

I am really psyched to see this one man, I know how you feel about the deserted cities!  The trailer is really well done, I think
I like to hug dogs

Sigur Rós

It just premiered in Denmark. Haven't seen it though. I saw a review of it in a well respected Danish paper. He said that the first hour were really really impressive and scary but eventually it became kind of a b-horror cliché. But i've also heard people say that this was a cool thing (b-horror cliché). Maybe I should go see it myself......but PDL premieres here Friday so i guess i'll wait a little.  :-D

Btw. They are already planning a sequel to 28 days later....hmm so i guess it most have some qualities.

phil marlowe

Isn't the whole movie suposed to be b-horror cliché? Isn't it suposed to be kitch? That makes it not bad but cool...

bonanzataz

i'm a self-proclaimed b-horror movie nut, so this one should fucking rock for me.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

yossarian

great picture..... very uneven second half
but the first few acts are genius.... thrillingly intense.... opening sequence is jawdroppingly good....digitally shot footage of a deserted london put to a fantastic Godspeed you black emporer track....
zombies look great...idea behind the movie is spot on
like i say...movie loses its way a bit towards the end but is always absolutely watchable...
lead actors a bit hit and miss
but danny boyle is definitely back on track...i'm interested to see how the movie does stateside....was a pretty sizeable hit in britain and ireland
...and deservedly so

MacGuffin

Fox Searchlight to Sneak 28 Days Later

On Friday the 13th of June, 28 cities across the U.S. will be infected by 28 Days Later sneak preview screenings. June 27 marks the date Fox Searchlight Pictures will fully unleash the horror that gripped the UK last fall with the U.S. release of Danny Boyle's British smash hit film.

"Get ready for the coolest, scariest movie of the year," Fox Searchlight Pictures' President of Distribution Steve Gilula said.

In 28 Days Later a powerful virus is unleashed on the British public following a raid on a primate research facility by animal rights activists. Transmitted in a drop of blood and devastating within seconds, the virus locks those infected into a permanent state of murderous rage. Within 28 days the country is overwhelmed and a handful of survivors begin their attempts to salvage a future, little realizing that the deadly virus is not the only thing that threatens them...

The film re-teams the director/producer duo of Danny Boyle and Andrew Macdonald, who previously collaborated on multiple award-winning films Trainspotting, Shallow Grave and A Life Less Ordinary. The film's original screenplay was written by Alex Garland, the author of The Beach. It stars Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Christopher Eccleston, Megan Burns and Brendan Gleeson. Following its blockbuster British release in fall 2002, 28 Days Later was named Best British Film by the UK's Empire Awards.

The movie earned $10 million when it opened in the U.K. in 2002. The U.S. premiere of the film was held at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival. It has also been selected to screen at the 2003 Tribeca Film Festival on May 7 and May 9.

Sneak screenings will take place in the following 28 cities on Friday the 13th of June: Albuquerque, Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Baltimore, Charlotte, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madison, Minneapolis, Montreal, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, Toronto, Vancouver and Washington, D.C.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

yes

Now if only I can figure out which specific theater
I like to hug dogs

mutinyco

I interviewed the producer and writer of 28 Days Later. Go to:

http://www.movienavigator.org/digitalrage.htm
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Holden Pike

Just got the 28 Days Later R2 DVD this week.

Love it, a great bunch of B-fun. The sci-fi explanation of the "zombies" adds layers, and I for one like the third act quite a bit. Not that I can't appreciate a good ol' supernatural zombie horror flick for what it is, but the virus is an interesting premise, well examined here, and the small rag-tag military stronghold and the dynamics of that situation all worked for me. All the requisite genre tension and gore are fully in tact, but there's also more to it. Economical storytelling, strong cast of mostly unknowns, the DV is perfectly suited for the material, and they accomplished some nice effects on a very limited budget. And I'm glad Boyle and co. opted to play it straight rather than camp it up for laughs.

Danny Boyle is definitely back. It's not as perfect as Shallow Grave or Trainspotting, but a darn good little movie.

Nice disc too, BTW. The commentary with Boyle & screenwriter Alex Garland is good stuff, plus the deleted scenes and the making-of add up to a nice package. I liked it so much, I'll probably even see it in the theater next month when it finally premieres here in The States.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film."
- Frank Capra

Victor

"movie earned $10 million when it opened in the U.K. in 2002"

is that good?
are you gonna eat with us too?

MacGuffin

Watch a six minute preview of the film here.

I'm more hyped to see this now.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Silver Bullet

I love Alex Garland. His novels are [in my opinion] masterpieces. The Beach is such an oustanding debut work, and is still my favourite book now [although I think Boyle fucked up the cinematic adaptation]. The Tesseract, which I just read for the second time, is not as good, but is [on its own terms] a really outstanding piece of metaphysical fiction. I was stoked when I found out that he wrote 28 Days Later.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Ghostboy

I just saw it this evening, and it rocked. It's probably about as original as a zombie movie can get at this point...and the third act shift was brilliant, in my opinion. It totally took the movie in a direction I didn't expect. I thought the cast was excellent, especially the lead girl...who was also gorgeous. The shots of her in the red dress were stunning (the DV photography was on the whole extremely well done -- its from Anthony Dodd Mantle, who also shot The Celebration and Julien Donkey Boy, among others).

The origin and explanation for the zombies was very good, too. And that scene in the tunnel, where they're changing the tire -- utterly terrifying. I wish I had seen it on the big screen first -- but I'll definitely be seeing it again when it does get released.

jmj

Holy fucking shit balls this movie is good.  This is one of the most intriguing and well directed films I've seen this year.  It does have some b-movie cliches but it builds tension WAY higher than any b-movie I've seen.  The creep factor is very well crafted.  Naomie Harris and Cillian Murphy are great leads with well developed characters.  Boyle has proven himself worthy of the accolades he got on Trainspotting fo sho.   I'm excited about watching it again in theatres but I don't know if it will be as overwhelmingly creepy surrounded by a bunch of people as it is sitting in the dark of a quiet empty apt.  Thank goodness I had Ghostboy to hang onto.
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.