Se7en

Started by bonanzataz, February 08, 2003, 10:43:19 PM

bonanzataz

Man, this movie is creepy. Just watched it last night and forgot how intense it was. I always wonder what will happen to Mills after it's all over. How many of Doe's crazed followers do you think will try to kill him?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

sphinx

a.) i'm guessing he'll go to jail or a mental institution (like in the script for the sequel)

b.) i doubt doe has many followers

c.) even if doe did have followers, they wouldn't have any reason to kill mills, they would probably appreciate him

chainsmoking insomniac

Where and the heck are all the posts for this movie??? This was by far the best Fincher film, and probably one of the most disturbingly brilliant films I've ever seen. Anybody agree with me, or are you all Panic Room fans? lol
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

cine

I don't think Fincher belongs on the list of directors on xixax. He doesn't start many topical discussions because he only has a few good films (I don't think "Fight Club" was one of them, and I'm aware I'm in the minority). Sure, I guess that means Wes Anderson would have to be removed to.. I just think there are so many more better directors to have on here listed.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Cinephile(I don't think "Fight Club" was one of them, and I'm aware I'm in the minority).

Now you have to back up why you think that.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Well a lot of people compare it to "A Clockwork Orange", and I like that film... but the message of "Fight Club" wasn't there for me like the message of "ACO".. I know why Kubrick made that one.. not so sure about what Fincher was going for.. it was very nicely set up.. but then it just got horribly violent.. It tried to go deep, but I didn't get it.. and the fact that people are bound to argue back with different interpretations of the film will probably prove my point. All in all, I admired some aspects of it but I wasn't really into it by the end.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

budgie

Quote from: CinephileI know why Kubrick made that one.. not so sure about what Fincher was going for.. it was very nicely set up.. but then it just got horribly violent.. It tried to go deep, but I didn't get it.. and the fact that people are bound to argue back with different interpretations of the film will probably prove my point. All in all, I admired some aspects of it but I wasn't really into it by the end.

So your argument for ditching Fincher is: "I don't understand Fight Club cause I haven't read what anyone says I should think about it and I don't like it cause I don't and films that don't end in z scare me cause they make other people have different ideas to me and that scares me and I want to scratch out the name Fincher so I don't have to think these things anymore."

Not really having a go, Cinephile, just trying to side with Guffy so I can get in his pants.

cine

There were reasons for why I disliked it and why I didn't get it.. its not like I'm simple and don't understand complex themes (if I can write essays on Kafka, I'm pretty sure I can handle deep material in a film). In this case, I just didn't go with where the film was trying to take me. I tried.. I watched it three times (a second time to see if I like it, a third because a friend bought the DVD and wanted me to watch it).. but it just didn't do it for me.

cine

And I can see that pretty clearly.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Cinephileits not like I'm simple and don't understand complex themes (if I can write essays on Kafka, I'm pretty sure I can handle deep material in a film).

Yet it seems like you're trying to avoid understanding Fight Club. Maybe it's simpler than you think. A guy has a repressed alter ego, which (with the help of insomnia) creates Fight Club. Then you can just go off the implications of that. It's probably that simple. So what's wrong?

Ghostboy

I love Fight Club now, but I didn't when I first saw it, and I stand by my initial belief that the script gets muddled once Project Mayhem goes into full swing. I always knew the movie was audacious and technically brilliant, but it wasn't until my third viewing that I was able to look past my problems with the script and consider the film a flawed masterpiece.

On the other hand,  I think Panic Room is flawless, for what it is (which doesn't mean that i think it's BETTER than Fight Club, mind you).

cine

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Cinephileits not like I'm simple and don't understand complex themes (if I can write essays on Kafka, I'm pretty sure I can handle deep material in a film).

Yet it seems like you're trying to avoid understanding Fight Club. Maybe it's simpler than you think. A guy has a repressed alter ego, which (with the help of insomnia) creates Fight Club. Then you can just go off the implications of that. It's probably that simple. So what's wrong?

I dunno, JB... "Fight Club" wasn't my cup of tea. I just don't know what's wrong with me anymore.  :cry:

Kev Hoffman

Quote from: GhostboyI love Fight Club now, but I didn't when I first saw it, and I stand by my initial belief that the script gets muddled once Project Mayhem goes into full swing. I always knew the movie was audacious and technically brilliant, but it wasn't until my third viewing that I was able to look past my problems with the script and consider the film a flawed masterpiece.

You hit that one with a big fucking hammer.

That's what I've always thought was the problem with Fight Club.  I didn't care much for the ending because the whole, say, last 1/8th of the movie was very cluttered and unclear.  The first time I saw it I couldn't like it, because I never looked back at the first 7/8ths of the film, and thought how great it really was.

chainsmoking insomniac

Well getting back to the original topic (SeVeN), I do think Fincher deserves a string on this board because Seven was by far his best fucking movie. Fight Club had potential but like some of you said earlier it lost steam somwhere down the road.....Panic Room was technically better, but not as edgy as Seven....so I think we can all agree that Seven was his best film? :)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls