Johnny Depp is the best pirate ever.

Started by Ghostboy, July 09, 2003, 01:34:57 AM

ProgWRX

i prefer the term Popular Film director. like pop music.

i saw depp on letterman before he died and he was very entertaining .

...the fuck?!  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:   :?
-Carlos

NEON MERCURY

One-Eyed Willy(The Goonies) was a menacing pirate also...even w/out any speaking from him you still fear him and obey his orders or else you know you will be walking the plank to certian doom.

But Depp is still the man (as always)  looks like a cool film

Pubrick

Quote from: ProgWRX...the fuck?!  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:   :?
i wasn't serious. i meant before he stopped turning up to all of his shows. this is after the shingles.
under the paving stones.

mindfuck

Just caught this today myself. Brilliant action flick... well worth the $7. I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said. Depp was brilliant. I loved noticing that he seemed to borrow some of his movement patterns and hand gestures from his Fear and Loathing performance.

Attn: Minor spoilers ahead.

I guess the only gripe I have about the movie was with Orlando Bloom's character and even that is just a matter of preference. I hate when protagonists in a film are played so godamn straight. I think there was a nice opportunity to give a little more depth to his character by showing off more of the "pirate spirit" he would have inherited from his father. Yeah, I know he steals the ship with Sparrow and all, but even that decision seemed to be made more out of honor than anything else. He was just a bit too bland for my tastes. Maybe he'll loosen up a bit in the sequel.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I heard it was totally dogshit, and I heard it was amazing.

Anyone care to help unblur the lines?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

if you like johnny depp, see this movie.  
if you dont like johnny depp, dont.

if you are interested at all in seeing it from the trailers, see this movie.
if you arent interested in seeing a movie about pirates, dont.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

what about if you love the ride?

p.s. who doesn't like Johnny Depp?

Cecil

Quote from: poserp.s. who doesn't like Johnny Depp?

commies, no doubt

Just Withnail

Dead people.

Pubrick

tremolosloth.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Way disapointed by this one ... Depp almost saved the movie, well, he did at least save every scene he was in. Orlando Bloom's character could have been played by any daytime drama "actor". When you know how Depp completly crafted his character, it's frustrating to see how less work Bloom put into his. Rush was way underused too, he really hadn't any good line/scene.

And did the two English morons annoy you as much as they annoyed me ?! They were disgusting.

Still, pretty entertaining, but could have been wayyyyyy better. Pirate movies need their Braveheart.

Raikus

With the exception of Depp's performance, this was a very boring and long action movie. Rush was mediocre. Everyone else was flotsam. It wasn't terrible but it dragged everytime Depp wasn't onscreen.

The action was pretty bad. *SPOILER* The first 5-6 times you see the undead crew fighting in and out of the moonlight is good, but after the 40th it's dull and excessive. The comedy was pretty so-so (again with the exception of Depp--and the homage to The Last Crusade by Rush). The comedy of the British soldier duo and the Cursed Pirate duo were lackluster. The story needed work. It played like movie that had invested so much money in four production sets that they had to change to script to constantly hopscotch from one to the other and back again.

But Depp's entrance scene made the entire movie worth admission.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: RaikusWith the exception of Depp's performance, this was a very boring and long action movie. Rush was mediocre. Everyone else was flotsam. It wasn't terrible but it dragged everytime Depp wasn't onscreen.

The action was pretty bad. *SPOILER* The first 5-6 times you see the undead crew fighting in and out of the moonlight is good, but after the 40th it's dull and excessive. The comedy was pretty so-so (again with the exception of Depp--and the homage to The Last Crusade by Rush). The comedy of the British soldier duo and the Cursed Pirate duo were lackluster. The story needed work. It played like movie that had invested so much money in four production sets that they had to change to script to constantly hopscotch from one to the other and back again.

But Depp's entrance scene made the entire movie worth admission.

You're absolutely right on saying that scenes without Depp dragged.  If it wasn't for ol' Johnny Boy, this movie would have sucked donkey nuts.  it was refreshing to see a bit of Hunter S. in this character...I had a smirk through most of the movie.  I recently saw Quills with Rush and Winslet, and I must say that Rush's character in pirates could have been much better.  He's such a great actor, and this role just didn't give him room to flex his acting muscles.  They could have shaved off twenty minutes, or no less than fifteen, from this film.
And yes, the two British guys were fucking annoying.
But what's her name is reeeeaaalllllllly hot.  Whew.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

markums2k

The first time I can honestly say that a sole actor held the movie together.  If nothing else, I kept watching to see what Depp would do next, since I could already predict where the movie was headed.

I'm glad scenes from the actual ride found their way into the film.  I get the sense now that it's sort of tongue in cheek; a movie based on an amusement park ride... or does Disney really think they are such hot shit?

As a frequent visitor of WORDPLAY, I expected more from the story.  Terry & Ted are always talking about how you shouldn't judge a screenplay by the film it eventually becomes... coincidence?  Hmmmmm...  :roll:  Still some great advice for screenwriters there, even if the authors have yet to develop a stand-out project.  Besides Aladdin.

My opinion on Pirates... come for the popcorn, stay for the Johnny.  Critics are actually slamming his "weird" performance, but this movie would be so incredibly bland without him.

markums2k

Quote from: BoothPirate movies need their Braveheart.

No kidding.  The market is wide open.  You never know... maybe someone at this site will be inspired to make it.  :-D