Is this sick?

Started by Gamblour., December 25, 2003, 07:00:55 PM

Gamblour.

For some reason, when I go back to my college dorm, I become overjoyed when I think of going to my dvd shelf, adding the new dvds I got this Christmas, sorting them, and everything. Is this sick? Is my obsession shared by anyone else? Btw, I categorize them by director then subcategorize them chronologically.
WWPTAD?

BrainSushi

Oh lord no, that's not sick at all. I do that myself. My problem is that my DVD shelf can't house my ever expanding collection anymore, so I've begun to experiment with my organization. I just bought a few racks that hold 22 DVDs each... I put one rack on my bedside table and chose the cream-o-the-crop to have a special place near me. The problem is that I've got a large number of DVDs that can't go on the racks, which only hold the traditional-sized DVD package. Those fat two disc ones, or any boxset for that matter is left in the cold.

My most recent experiment in ordering them... by colour.

MacGuffin

Is it sick that I take a hair dryer to the Director's Signature sticker of the Criterion wrapper to loosen the glue, then carefully peel it off so I can reapply it on the DVD cover?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I love sorting them, I just never have lately...maybe I should?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cine

Quote from: MacGuffinIs it sick that I take a hair dryer to the Director's Signature sticker of the Criterion wrapper to loosen the glue, then carefully peel it off so I can reapply it on the DVD cover?
No, that's just smart.

Alethia

Quote from: MacGuffinIs it sick that I take a hair dryer to the Director's Signature sticker of the Criterion wrapper to loosen the glue, then carefully peel it off so I can reapply it on the DVD cover?

i cut out the plastic around them and put them in a little plasic cup on my shelf...i should try ur idea tho

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Gamblor du JourFor some reason, when I go back to my college dorm, I become overjoyed when I think of going to my dvd shelf, adding the new dvds I got this Christmas, sorting them, and everything. Is this sick? Is my obsession shared by anyone else? Btw, I categorize them by director then subcategorize them chronologically.
These are my words exactly, down to the organizing. While I can't say if it's sick or not, I think it's a fairly normal thing to do.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Alethia

i just alphabetize mine you sick fuckers

Gamblour.

Damn, I just threw the wrapping to my new Royal Tenenbaums dvd, if I remember that has the director's sig, but I'm not sure if I care enough to go through the garbage and get it (unless you want to do it for me, Mac  :lol: ). I just started my Criterion buildup today, so maybe I'll kick myself in the future.

As a sidenote, I'm really pissed that my This is Spinal Tap dvd isn't playing, there's some strange circular patterns on the disc, if you hold it to the light just right, it's not surface level, it looks like some sort of heat or disc stress damage. The goddamned store better take it back.
WWPTAD?

Exodus 8:2

im terrible.....there is a special place in hell for me.  i just look at mine sometimes as if im making love to them with my eye contact. i try to save the wrappers, i sort them according to all sorts of things (darkest, fav directors, alphabetical) i think im a bit obsessive.
Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

El Topo

My collection starts out alphabetically by directors who I have multiple films by. Then alphabetically by directors who I only have one film by. All of my TV shows, music and documentary DVD's are sorted by title.

Pas

Quote from: BrainSushiOh lord no, that's not sick at all. I do that myself.

Not because you do it that it's not sick.

Ernie

Quote from: eward

i cut out the plastic around them and put them in a little plasic cup on my shelf...i should try ur idea tho

Fuck, I should have done that. See I messed it all up for myself cause I never saved the first one so in my mind, I couldn't ever do it with any of the others I got after that, it would not be right. I would start to feel bad for the one sticker that's sitting in some landfill somewhere when all the other stickers are being admired by myself and others....it's a sad thought, you know? Now, I definitely can't start, there's absolutely no way I can start doing this now. There's about 11-12 stickers floating around god knows where with no home, I can't just forget about them.

By the way Gamblor...no, what you do is not sick at all.

Ghostboy

I didn't even realize there was a sticker with the director's name on it on Criterion discs. I guess now that I think about it, I can picture it...oh well, that's all part of the wrapper i.e. trash to me.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Exodus 8:2im terrible.....there is a special place in hell for me.  i just look at mine sometimes as if im making love to them with my eye contact. i try to save the wrappers, i sort them according to all sorts of things (darkest, fav directors, alphabetical) i think im a bit obsessive.

Obssessive?  What the hell else is there to do in the Midwest other than covet your own belongings and guard them rabidly?

Oh, and read and junk...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye