3:10 To Yuma (2007)

Started by MacGuffin, June 16, 2007, 04:36:15 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: October 5th, 2007 (wide)

Starring: Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, Alan Tudyk, Peter Fonda, Gretchen Mol 

Directed by: James Mangold (Walk The Line; Copland; Girl, Interrupted)

Premise: A small-time rancher agrees to hold a captured outlaw who's awaiting a train to go to court in Yuma. A battle of wills ensues as the outlaw tries to psych out the rancher.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

This movie was filmed in my backyard in New Mexico. I'd always go out and watch them film.

I didn't work on it though cause I'm so above that.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

mmm.... western.  i wonder if this will be The Prestige to The Assassination of Jesse James....'s Illusionist?  or will it be the other way around?   :ponder:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: modage on June 17, 2007, 10:03:25 AM
i wonder if this will be The Prestige to The Assassination of Jesse James....'s Illusionist?  or will it be the other way around?   :ponder:

Personally, I hope it's the other way around but I don't want to start that argument up again.

This was a solid good but not great.  Almost great, with many moments of badassedness, but doesn't quite make it.  Though by default, it ends up being one of the better westerns of the last few years.

Bale and Crowe have great chemistry but their characters' motivations are a little hard to swallow.  Mostly, this rests on Crowe's performance.  He was playing his character like a sonofabitch when everyone regards him in the movie as a motherfucker.  He played the hell out of that sonofabitch but the fact that the character is supposed to be a motherfucker caused problems for me towards the end.  But I suspect that it's just because they took a story that worked in the 50s and added contemporary visual flair but kept those 50s sensibilities intact. 

Ultimately, that all doesn't matter too much because it's just out to be a fun time and it succeeds at being that. 

Pozer

Quote from: just sparrow on September 13, 2007, 09:45:39 AM
This was a solid good but not great.

the reason why it is not great is because there are so many "why wouldnt they just do thises" and "why would crowe's character all of sudden be like thats."

cameo spoiler
also, millonaire dickhead/dumbass/can't off himself correctly's brother's cameo bugged me.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: pozer on September 14, 2007, 01:53:20 PM
cameo spoiler

I made myself forget about it.  It's so unnecessary because it's not for comic relief purposes and he's not a good enough actor for it to be anything but a "What the fuck is he doing in this?" moment.  They couldn't find one grizzled-looking bastard who got his SAG card playing a dead homeless guy on Law & Order to play that role?  Really?  The only way it could have been more distracting is if it was his brother.

MacGuffin

I can understand sparrow's and pozer's objections, but I would still call this a great film. I really got caught up in the two leads, especially Bale's character; not really cat and mouse of getting to one another, but something better, with more depth. In fact, the entire film is basically made up of scenes or moments we've seen in movies before (and I don't mean from the original), like the father/son relationship or the 'make-that-train' time tension, but they are all made better here. It's a well-crafted film.

Skeleton FilmWorks

md

Quote from: IN SPAR_ROWS on September 14, 2007, 02:21:49 PM
Quote from: pozer on September 14, 2007, 01:53:20 PM
cameo spoiler
I was wondering that too, but stopped caring once he was shot.  Overall, a great movie with fantastic performances by Crowe and the son, Logan Lerman.  For a second, I thought that he was the same actor as the lead in The Girl Next Door.  The showdown at the end was great with the cattle, I just hope there isn't a sequel. 
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche