30 Minutes or Less

Started by MacGuffin, May 02, 2011, 03:50:55 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: August 12th, 2011 (wide)

Starring: Aziz Ansari, Jesse Eisenberg, Danny McBride, Michael Pena, Nick Swardson

Directed by: Ruben Fleischer

Premise: Nick is a small town pizza delivery guy whose mundane life collides with the big plans of two wanna-be criminal masterminds. The volatile duo kidnaps Nick and forces him to rob a bank. With mere hours to pull off the impossible task, Nick enlists the help of his ex-best friend, Chet. As the clock ticks, the two must deal with the police, hired assassins, flamethrowers, and their own tumultuous relationship.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

I was a lot more excited for this before I watched the trailer.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

I couldn't find a topic for this. Did i miss it somewhere? The first trailer for this made me go "Meh, whatever." And that redband one up there gives away some good jokes. But this movie is actually really funny. Aziz steals the fucking showing and he is consistently funny throughout. I think its a better recent action/comedy than The Pineapple Express. Eisenberg is tolerable, Danny McBride is extremely vulgar (which is gettin' kinda old these days), Michael Pena plays a hysterical assassin and Nick Swardson was actually really funny and likeable (as opposed to the ).

I really can't say that I found any problems with it. Every single actor in the film performs and delivers the comedy and the plot (while pretty silly and unbelievable) is tolerable enough to enjoy.

Probably the best use of two PERFECT songs to play at the end credits i've seen in a while. Just watching the names and listening to the songs i was giggling like beavis and butthead throughout.

Go see it.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Quote from: squints on August 15, 2011, 06:22:19 PM
I couldn't find a topic for this. Did i miss it somewhere?

Yes. Was near top of pg. 2.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 15, 2011, 07:03:40 PM
Quote from: squints on August 15, 2011, 06:22:19 PM
I couldn't find a topic for this. Did i miss it somewhere?

Yes. Was near top of pg. 2.

Derp. Sorry. I still loved the movie!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Sleepless

I'm not sure about this. I like the director's other films, but really can't stand that annoying Indian guy or McBride. That said, I wasn't sold on Zombieland until all the great word of mouth. Is it really any good?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

picolas

i've been hearing mixed to bad.

the aggressive ad campaign makes me feel like it's been out for years.

Ravi

I thought it was a pretty funny, if ultimately forgettable film. Danny McBride does his usual here. Jesse Eisenberg was miscast IMO.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I liked that for once Jesse Eisenberg played a CONFIDENT character. 

Not that he was a paranoid wreck in "The Squid And The Whale" or "Adventureland", but he did seem to be losing his ground as a character in that film. Less stuttering, perhaps?

What I really appreciated about this flick was that the idea was based on something that actually happened, unfortunately with tragic results, but they weren't just going for the same-old same-old.  They also made the bad guys just as idiotic as the main characters.

SiliasRuby

This film had me laughing but it didn't really do it for me overall. Danny Mcbride's vulgarity kind of got to me. Maybe I'm losing my idea of whats cool it made me sick to watch his character. I know danny is much more intelligent than his character but his scenes were the toughest to watch. Jesse E actually played a guy with some balls this time and had me root for him a little more. Overall I enjoyed it. Aziz knocks it out of the park.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection