Igby Goes Down...the drain

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 16, 2003, 12:14:42 AM

NEON MERCURY

OVER-RATED

sorry if this makes people mad....but one of my worst  blind buys  igby is an annoying character

OVER-RATED
** film at most

OVER-RATED

Bill P. character was/is the best part in that film

...stepping off the soapbox now

modage

yeah.  its okay.  points for effort, but i didnt think it came off too well.  modern day catcher in the rye.  good cast.  okay movie.  blind buys are a dangerous business my friend.  now just sit and stew in your anger and think about that movie that you REALLY wanted that you dont own yet.  sit and stew.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

I liked it, thought it had some crap Gen-X-"cool"-type weak spots with the ill-considered use of music and slo-mo.

But I like themodernage's current avatar better.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Redlum

I really liked it.

Does anyoneelse think Kieran Culkin is developing an acting style and screen presence like Robert Downey Jr. I think they are extremely similar. And they both have wide, crazy eyes.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Gold Trumpet

I loved this movie and it was on top ten list from last year. The best part about it is how smart the characters are thought out to be and how unpredictable everything in. The movie works from the basis of the character's personality and tells a story that eventually ends the way we know, but moves paths that are completely unexpected. The movie is consistently smart and not just smart in playing off one thing, but inventive as well. Kieran Culkin was perfect for this role and as believable as being a certain character as any other i've seen.

There is a continuing trend showing up here lately that has been annoying and that is people saying a movie is bad and giving equal words to the fact they hated as to why they hated it. I don't care if someone dislikes a movie I admire, but at least try to make the reason why the first and foremost thing to what you say. People complain about how the board has become too much goofiness without movie talk, well, I say the worst is this.

~rougerum

Duck Sauce

My complaint about the movie is all the hyper-intellectual dialouge. It seemed to forced

polkablues

Fuck it, I loved "Igby Goes Down".  Every moment of it rang true to me.

(I love right after Susan Sarandon dies, and Ryan Phillipe goes out to Jeff Goldblum, who's playing piano, and Phillipe says "Would you like to see the body?", and Goldblum, without looking up, says, "I've seen it."  Great, great, great.)
My house, my rules, my coffee

Cecil

budgie

Quote from: polkablues

(I love right after Susan Sarandon dies, and Ryan Phillipe goes out to Jeff Goldblum, who's playing piano, and Phillipe says "Would you like to see the body?", and Goldblum, without looking up, says, "I've seen it."  Great, great, great.)

Bad, bad boy. What a good thing I don't have spoiler angst.

I'm looking forward to this and Tadpole. Saw both trailers together and this looks better, tho the reviews favour Tadpole, which the trailer for looks awful.

bonanzataz

i saw both and i had the same feelings for both. they were OK and there were definitely very funny parts, but as a whole it didn't do it for me. i think it was mainly because the writer or director decided to make the film too clever for its own good. the smart one liners and the feeling of "oh dear, what a scathing satirical social commentary!" got old really fast. like the writers were saying, "i wish i could've done THIS when i was in high school! imagine if i was smart and clever and got older girls and hid out in the city all by myself! that was always my fantasy and now i can live out my fantasy in my big hollywood movie!" i liked igby a lot more than tadpole, but both suffer from the same flaw, in my opinion. and tadpole shouldn't have been digital. i don't think it works that way.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Redlum

Jeff Goldblum is a master. That bit where his trousers are around his ankles is so damn funny.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

ono

I liked the movie a lot, myself.  It was probably one of my favorites of 2002, though I saw it first in 2003.  Saw it in a theater, and at the beginning the sound was off (happens a lot at the place I saw it, but they're forgiven 'cause it was free).  But throughout, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The dialogue didn't feel forced to me.  I just love intelligent dialogue, even if it does sound a bit unrealistic.  There's a fine line, and Igby Goes Down walked it nicely.

Gold Trumpet

Tadpole is a completely different story. Its juvenile filmmaking at best and so overtly simplistic and obvious that I thought it was directed by a junior high student. That was one of the most unbearable movies to watch.

~rougerum

chainsmoking insomniac

Tadpole was fucking GREAT!!!

Igby, on the other hand, didn't grab me.  And an earlier post said Igby is quite an annoying character, and I would have to agree.  The acting was fine though, and the story wasn't too bad, I just don't give a damn about Igby!!!! :evil:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Pubrick

dude was that an effing spoiler?? man.
under the paving stones.