Our Day Will Come (Notre jour viendra)

Started by The Perineum Falcon, May 24, 2010, 01:01:28 PM

The Perineum Falcon

Teaser: Romain Gravras' Feature Debut 'Our Day Will Come'
via: The Playlist

Romain Gavras exploded into the spotlight recently with his brutal video for M.I.A.'s "Born Free." The video, a vicious criticism of modern-day government and society, showed that Romain was more than just the son of an intelligent director (Costa-Gavras, "Z"). Romain showed some directing chops, and it was only a matter of time before more information on his feature project "Our Day Will Come" trickled out.

The film, produced and starring Vincent Cassel ("Eastern Promises") along with Olivier Barthelemy ("Sheitan"), follows a red-haired teen (Barthelemy) who leaves for Ireland after taking too much abuse from peers and family. The official synopsis is as follows:

What do you do when you're a red-haired teenage loser with no friends except for an older guy, your shrink? When everyone hates you, especially your family? When all your peers make fun of you and kick you around? The answer: you and your loser buddy blow all the cash you can get your hands on to buy a sportscar, you dress smart and you head for the land of redheads, Ireland. But what starts off as a search for an ideal, gradually escalates into a rampage of hate, violence and self-destruction.

We're not really sure what fascinates Romain so much about red heads, but the teaser looks pretty incredible and we'd be lying if we said we weren't looking forward to this one. Cassel's usually very strong in his roles, and a brief look at Barthelemy's resume shows that the duo have worked on two different projects together, so it's clear that Cassel saw something he liked in Barthelemy and decided to work with him again. The teaser doesn't showcase much of the plot (you can see the sportscar racing down the highway, but...) but does manage to showcase some brilliant shots and set a tense tone.

We might have to wait a while for this one; the only country with a scheduled release is France, in September of this year. Though no deals are in place for distribution, it should have no problem getting picked up assuming it's not a total disaster, which is unlikely. Check out the teaser below and poster above, thanks to TwitchFilm.

I really hope the visceral intesity of Romain Gavras's music videos are indicative of what to expect here. I love the poster and the trailer, and all things point to the positive.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.