Why, God, why?!? - Films That Should Not Get The Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, February 07, 2003, 03:31:47 AM

Banky

Well, at least there's one strange rumor being debunked today, according to that "other Australian movie site", Moviehole.net, the possible HALLOWEEN remake that we reported might be a possibility earlier on this week has officially been denied by Dimension Films. "There are no plans to remake Halloween that rumour was incorrect", said a studio rep. They are, however, continuing to look for new ideas for the next installment of the HALLOWEEN series (add more rappers!!) and apparently want to know what you all think at the official Michael Myers website, where you can vote whether you want to see Mr. Wayne's World go up against HELLRAISER's Pinhead in the next round. Don't ask...I just report the news. Anyway, check out Halloweenmovies.com for more on that and pray to God that someone up there doesn't continue this pathetic trend of re-making everything ever made. Man, I only wish I could re-make my teenage years...yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Bankypray to God that someone up there doesn't continue this pathetic trend of re-making everything ever made. Man, I only wish I could re-make my teenage years...yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.
sorry...but I wanna see His Girl Friday remade....I am not a huge fan of remakes, in fact I normally cringe at this idea (as well as sequels).  But I am so sick of getting suckered into stupid ass romantic comedies.  Attach someone like Adrian Lyne or maybe a Lasse Hallström and I feel this could be a picture worthy of a remake.  

Still, the original holds it own thou.

modage

His Girl Friday itself was a remake of the 1931 film The Front Page based on the play, and was later remade as The Front Page by Billy Wilder with Lemmon and Matthau in the 1974.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: themodernage02and was later remade as The Front Page by Billy Wilder with Lemmon and Matthau in the 1974.
I knew it was based on a play, but I did not know it was already remade.  wow....is that flick any good?

Lemmon and Matthau...though...shit I feel like a typical 23 year old with not a ton of exposure nor the will to seek out such "could be great" older films.  Thus I rely on you guys to give me da good word...

Lucinda Bryte

There are too many pages to read through... But that one movie based on Avril Lavigne's "SK8ER BOIIII" should not be made.

molly

That film that had directed Sean Penn, with Nicholson, Redgrave...Great actors, unbelievebly shitty directing.

cine

modage

Dirty Harry: There's been talk of Rambo, Rocky, Indiana Jones and more coming back from their 80's cinematic graves for one last ride - now you might be able to add one more to the list - 'Dirty' Harry Callahan. 'Scorpio's Bitch' played the submissive to some of Warners execs recently and came up with this juicy little gossip tidbit: ""Mystic River" has done pretty nicely for Warner overall, so they're out to utilize Eastwood. They want him to do another "Dirty Harry" movie and have been talking about it with him for a while. The argument is, Eastwood thinks Harry Callahan is too old - he's probably right - to be chasing criminals, but the studio isn't budging. They want another "Dirty Harry" movie. One option - start afresh with a new Dirty Harry. No idea who they'd get, but that's certainly something that's been discussed in the past, remaking that first one again. Eastwood's a great director and I think he's determined to stay behind the camera, but a new 'Harry' might upset people...tough call for now".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jinx: The proposed spin-off movie about Halle Berry's character from the recent Bond movie "Die Another Day" has been cancelled by MGM. Variety reports that despite keen interest from long-standing 007 producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson, the lion head studio told the pair's Eon Productions to put the film "on ice" and press ahead with the "Bond 21" project due to shoot and release in 2005. Eon is apparently quite upset about all this. Scribes of the last two 007 movies - Neal Purvis and Robert Wade have been working on the "Jinx" script for a while, and helmer Stephen Frears ("The Grifters", "Dangerous Liasons") was set up to direct the feature which would've seen CIA agent Jacinta Johnson (Berry) taking on her own enemies whilst Brosnan was rumoured to be cameoing as Bond in the film. Yet despite the no from MGM, the production company isn't rushing forward with the project at another studio - thus it looks like the Bond girl curse has struck again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

I just saw a trailer for that movie Timeline. I laughed out loud in the theatre. Hard.

to borrow from GDIDM, this looks like it's gonna Suckaroonie.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

As I write this, a screening of Timeline with director Richard Donnor in attendance is starting here in Dallas, but my pass is in the trash because not even the presence of the director of Superman could lure me to see Timeline, at 10am no less.

Oh, and on Thank God It's Not Happening level, the Bond spinoff with Halle Berry, Jinx, is officially canceled. YAY!

modage

this is just sick...

Brian Grazer Ready for Cat in the Hat Sequel
Source: Sci Fi Wire Tuesday, November 4, 2003

Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat producer Brian Grazer told Sci Fi Wire that he intends to make a sequel to the Bo Welch-directed adaptation starring Mike Myers, Alec Baldwin, Kelly Preston, Dakota Fanning, Spencer Breslin, Amy Hill and Sean Hayes.

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back, also from Dr. Seuss, features the mischievous cat returning on a snowy day when there is work to be done.

Grazer added that members of the cast of the first film are signed to reprise their roles. "Cat in the Hat" hits theaters on November 21.

Gold Trumpet

How is a sequel to The Cat in the Hat this bad already? I must say, The Cat in the Hat itself looks promising to me. Usually things that go on this thread are adaptation of things too "impossible" or "sacred" to adapt. Didn't think Dr. Seuss was any of those. Maybe wait til you see Cat in the Hat before coming out with this.

modage

how about the idea, that the movie hasnt even opened and they have no idea how the public will receive it or whether anyone will actually want a sequel, but since the 'early research' shows that cat is testing well. there are really high numbers, and they're already counting their millions, they've got those goddamn greedy dollar signs looking towards the next movie already.  i hope it blows and makes 1 dollar.

Gold Trumpet

jeez, and you thought my attitude toward Matrix: Revolutions was bad.

Find Your Magali

The "Cat in the Hat" preview looked fairly dreadful. Can't believe there's a sequel already. Wish Myers would do something else....