Cloud Atlas

Started by MacGuffin, July 26, 2012, 08:13:41 AM

MacGuffin

Release date: October 26, 2012

Starring: Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, Susan Sarandon, Hugh Grant, Ben Whishaw, Keith David, Jim Broadbent

Directed by: The Wachowskis; Tom Tykwer

Premise: An exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

"This video contains content from
Warner Bros. Entertainment, who
has blocked it on copyright
grounds"

polkablues

Warner Brothers: "Oh, you want to voluntarily watch an advertisement for our movie? Fuck you, you'll be advertised to when we say you'll be advertised to!"
My house, my rules, my coffee

Just Withnail

Quote from: polkablues on July 26, 2012, 02:08:53 PM
Warner Brothers: "Oh, you want to voluntarily watch an advertisement for our movie? Fuck you, you'll be advertised to when we say you'll be advertised to!"

Oh, and Tom Tykwer, Andy and Lana Wachowski need to say a few words first.

(very) full trailer in link

Pubrick

It's nice to see Lana (in her first official public appearance?) but that introduction and extremely long trailer are just not necessary. 

People who know the book will know what the movie is about and those who don't will either be interested in the premise, which is not hard to summarise, or be turned off by the overly convoluted/condescending hand-holding nature of this intro.

What they should be saying is "look, hear us out, we know we cast Halle Berry in this but we assure you it does not mean the movie is a piece of shit, not this time.. no siree" and then Scorsese pops his head in and says "did someone say Siri?".. And the other three directors facepalm in unison.
under the paving stones.

theyarelegion

Quote from: Just Withnail on July 26, 2012, 02:33:33 PM
Oh, and Tom Tykwer, Andy and Lana Wachowski need to say a few words first.

They shouldn't have. Why is the trailer nearly SIX minutes long? Good God man. This looks chronic. Tom Hanks borrowed one of Lana's wigs. Did anyone else see Hugh Grant as an Amazonian tribesman? & Hugo Weaving reprising his role of Agent Smith?

Reel

DAAAAAAAAAMMNN HOMIE

IN HIGH SCHOOL YOU WAS A MAAAAAAANNN HOMIE. WTF HAPPENED TO YOU?

alright, I'll admit that was pretty cruel. It's late.

theyarelegion

The Ultimate Badass

This trailer has generated a lot of buzz. What I saw when I watched it was three very distinct trailers chained together--I assume this has something to do with the fact that this movie has three directors. The first segment is a somewhat plodding trailer for an average romance movie. The second segment is a fairly dull trailer for your average Hollywood sci-fi action movie. The third segment is a pretty amazing, goose-pimple inducing music video for M83's Outro. IMO, the first two segments of the trailer are extraneous. It's that final segment that everyone seems to be reacting to.

Hopefully the movie itself is more than one-third good.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

InTylerWeTrust

Holy shit..... This movie must be like AT LEAST 4 and a half hours...

Now I'm legit excited.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Jeremy Blackman

2:44 according to imdb.

At that length, it could work. The out-of-context sentimentality and the goofy Jim Broadbent material are making me skeptical, but I suppose they're just trailers.

Pubrick

this is gonna be great, but i'm still worried by the presence of Halle Berry.. she never picks good movies.

i love the wachowskis tho, i even liked speed racer (one of the most underrated movies of the 2000s).

they're like kubrick but permanently stuck in 2001 mode. when they tried to stray into Clork territory, they had to use their assistant director as a front.. with mixed results.
under the paving stones.

HeywoodRFloyd

I agree about them being stuck in 2001 mode.
I always wondered what Kubrick would had thought about The Matrix if he had not passed before it's release.
Because The Matrix to me, sort of feels like it unofficially takes place 200 years after 2001: A Space Odyssey, sharing the same universe.

Like HAL was the first sign. Here's where humanity is 200 years onwards.

But I really love the Wachowski's, even a big fan of the sequels, especially when I studied philosophy at uni last semester, a lot of parallels between what I learned and what was explored in the sequels (Schopenhauer etc.)

Anyway here's the new poster for Cloud Atlas from TIFF.. I actually really like it.

Can't wait for this film. (Australia gets it 21 February 2013, fucking bullshit)

72teeth

^
that is a great poster, i just wish it got the Struzan treatment...

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza