The Road

Started by MacGuffin, August 07, 2008, 12:16:58 PM

I Love a Magician

yeah, i think people who haven't read the book might like it more than those that have. i love the book but think the movie is a worth adaptation for sure. viggo was perfect casting, and all the "cameos" were great as well. someone's who's read the book will watch the movie and think "blaegioohj they added flashbacks" and all that, but i thought they were a nice addition, especially the ones that were basically the father's memories. only qualm was that i didn't love all the cinematography, which surprised me because that was one of my favorite parts of The Proposition.

squints

Honestly if you haven't read the book I'd say see the movie FIRST and then read the book. I think that would make each experience much more enjoyable.

Here's my biggest problem with the movie, in the book you feel like the man and his son are completely alone in the world, you get the sense that entire world is empty and dead and when they finally do find other living things its a revelation and its absolutely frightening. In the movie they run into someone new every five minutes. The world felt very populated by all kinds of sad creatures that keep showing up everywhere.

The boy was annoying as shit. "PAPA! PAPA! PAPA!" I guess he seemed more stoic in the book, only letting his emotions come out every once in a while.

Wish there woulda been no music at all. I think someone on here said in they wanted just the sound of the dying civilization and the earth just humming in the background and that woulda been perfect. No musc, and maybe linger on some shots for a while. When i was reading the Road I imagined some lingering extreme wide shots of the boy and his dad walking from the left side of the frame to the right with the hills burning in the background and NO MUSIC, just letting it soak in how utterly alone they were.

Its alright. Its not a perfect adaptation (Like No Country). I wanted it to be so much better.

READ THE BOOK AFTER YOU SEE THE MOVIE is my advice

i really hope they don't fuck up Blood Meridian.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

I thought it was great. I was ready to be let down and it was quite the opposite.

The problems I had with it are all problems I had with the book (that hokey and convenient ending), so it's not really the movies fault. The flashbacks didn't bother me as much as I thought they would and I think they worked. Viggo is great as always and it would be a shame if Robert Duvall doesn't get a best sup. nod.

I'm surprised that this isn't getting more of an awards push.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.