Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Myxo

Updates from the Ether Music Festival.

Arpeggi (New song)
Where Bluebirds Fly
Smear (Arranged by Johnny Greenwood)

--

Radiohead ranks #73 on Rolling Stone's 'Immortals: 100 Greatest Artists of All Time'

Radiohead was nominated by Dave Matthews:

"Every time I buy a Radiohead album, I have a moment where I say to myself, "Maybe this is the one that will suck." But it never does. I wonder if it's even possible for them to be bad on record.

It belittles Radiohead to describe their music as having "hooks." Their music talks to you, in a real way. It can take you down a quiet street before it drops a beautiful musical bomb on you. It can build to where you think the whole thing will crumble beneath its own weight - and then Thom Yorke will sing some melody that just cuts your heart out of your chest.

There's a point on the album Kid A where I start feeling claustrophobic, stuck in a barbed-wire jungle - and then I suddenly fall out and I'm sitting by a pool with birds singing. Radiohead can do all of these things in a moment, and it drives me fucking crazy.

My reaction to Radiohead isn't as simple as jealousy. Jealousy just burns; Radiohead infuriate me. But if it were only that, I wouldn't go back and listen to those records again and again. Listening to Radiohead makes me fell like I'm a Salieri to their Mozart. Yorke's lyrics make me want to give up. I could never in my wildest dreams find something as beautiful as they find for a single song - let alone album after album. And every time, they raise their finger to the press and the critics and say, "Nothing we do is for you!". They followed their most critically acclaimed record, OK Computer, with their most radical change, Kid A. It's not that they're indifferent: It's just that the strength of character in their music is beyond their control.

Seeing them perform makes me even angrier. No matter how much they let go in their shows, they never lose their clarity. There's no point where Jonny Greewood or Ed O'Brien will suddenly look up and say "Where the fuck are we?" There are no train wrecks in Radiohead; every album and performance is wretching. God, these guys have suffered, or they can fake it like nobody else."

Pubrick

Quote from: MyxomatosisRadiohead was nominated by Dave Matthews
on an unrelated note, i am selling all my radiohead albums and merchandise.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

that arpeggi track myxo leaked was pretty good. and the greenwood track smear was total penderecki.
under the paving stones.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

That's the only good one anyway
I like to hug dogs

SiliasRuby

Great pics mod. Where did you get them?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

somebodys blog i came across.

mogwai

she's about 12 years late for buying that record. if only she realized that when it was out she wouldn't be in our throats every god damn day. she'd be as fucked up as courtney love is.

oh wait, she is.

modage

Radiohead Album Likely Due Next Spring
Source: Pitchfork

There are people who look forward to the first day of summer, those who dream of their wedding day, and those who happily prepare for the birth of their first child. Then, there are those who anxiously wait with bated breath for a new album from the Oxford quintet. For this special (and neurotic, with yours truly included) breed of people, the time for rejoicing is nearing. According to the fan site GreenPlastic.com, Radiohead will complete recording their new album by December, with plans for a release date in February or March 2006.

Currently, Radiohead are working on 15 songs with two described as "already done and amazing." Recording for the follow-up to 2003's Hail to the Thief commenced back in January in which frontman Thom Yorke played new songs for the rest of the band, who then contributed their own parts to them. While in keeping with Radiohead's oft-collaborative spirit, the seventh album's recording process, however, is said to be "unorganized" and markedly divergent from past practices.

After two years of sequestering themselves in sunny England, touring will be in order. Radiohead tentatively plan to play dates sometime around the album's release date. They haven't been completely dormant, though. In late March, Yorke and guitarist Jonny Greenwood performed with the London Sinfonietta as part of the South Bank's Ether Festival. At these two shows, the duo debuted "Arpeggi" and performed the B-side "Where Bluebirds Fly". Yorke performed a five-song solo acoustic set at the Trade Justice Rally in April, which included the never before heard "House of Cards" and "Last Flowers (Til the Hospital)". There is no word if "Arpeggi" and "House of Cards" are among the aforementioned two finished songs. Start salivating now, folks!

Stefen

It cracks me up when musicians refer to songs they have just recorded and noone but them has heard, as "AMAZING!" Limp Bizkit does this same tactic, nuff said. I'll believe it when I hear it assholes, stop overrating your own shit so quickly.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: StefenI'll believe it when I hear it assholes, stop overrating your own shit so quickly.
What exactly is overrated?

Stefen

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: StefenI'll believe it when I hear it assholes, stop overrating your own shit so quickly.
What exactly is overrated?

Their music to themselves. They'll release a bunch of blips and bleeps and call it r2d2 and it will be considered the best music since the last radiohead. I hope they go a different route. Then Bends and Ok Computer = FUCK YEAH!!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Stefen
Their music to themselves. They'll release a bunch of blips and bleeps and call it r2d2 and it will be considered the best music since the last radiohead. I hope they go a different route. Then Bends and Ok Computer = FUCK YEAH!!

Agreed completely.  I liked a few tracks on Kid A, but I think there's a complex of "Since Radiohead makes good tracks, I'll pay no mind to the filler in between."  Radiohead knows they're overrated, and they capitalize on it completely.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye