The Butterfly Effect

Started by cine, October 22, 2003, 10:29:08 AM

Ghostboy

I didn't care much for the movie, but it was intriguing enough to keep me watching it, and I actually thought both Ashton and Amy Smart gave really good performances. There were some pretty moving scenes, but then the sci-fi element would kick in. Also, some of the material with the kids was just too disturbing to work in this sort of movie. There was a good deal potential, though, so I personally wouldn't write off the writer/director duo just yet.

pete

very bad things is like a student film that lasted two hours, where it's all dark and darker and darker, like that's really gonna shock anybody or is still funny.
the rundown has ONE pretty cool fight scene where Ernie Reyes Jr. as one of the pigmies kicks the Rock's ass.  that was the best AMERICAN fight scene to come out of 2003--better than yoda, better than neo vs. robots, better than uma being doubled by a chunky guy, better than stifler and chow yunfat, or charlie's angels, or any other instances where white people pertended they could fight this year.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Recce

I thought it was pretty bad. While, production wise, it was ok, the acting was jsut terrible. And, surprisingly, not jsut from kutcher. Everyone sucked. Even Melora Walters. I'm starting to think that she is a terrible actress and only PTA can get decent stuff out of her. She annoyed the hell out of me in 'Matchstick men' too, and she was only on screen for like 30 seconds. She was terrible there too.
The overall concept and story could have been really good. I've always been into time-travel or whatever stuff like that, but in the end, it failed horribly. AS far as dialogue goes, it is probly the crappiest ever. I honestly can't remember a film with worst dialogue. Not jsut in the delivery, but the words themselves are transparent and were obviously thrown in in the hopes of making the story hold together. That last comment kinda sounds stupid, seeing as, obviously, dialogue advances the story and attempts to make sense of it, but in 'butterfly effect', it jsut reaks of plot holes.
One reason I was so disappointed was because I had seen an interview with the director and writter, I think, and they were saying that it was a very different and very controversial film. HOW IS IT CONTROVERSIAL. I really hate when people throw that word around in an attempt to create some 'buzz' for their sucky films. Plus, Kutcher was interviewed and he said he only did this film cause he wanted to do a serious role for once. I mean, I'm all for honesty, but don't try to seem so retarded. At least try to create the illusion that you took the role cause it interested you or you saw something good in it. Jeez, what a retard.

***Spoiler***
As far as plot holes go, this movie reeks of them. Like, for example, shouldn't kutcher be dying at the very end when everything raps up nice and neat? In the previous timeline, the doctor said his brain was about to explode because of all the memories he had absorbed, but then it all gets solved and everyones happy. The fuck.

Worst line ever: 'Well, when your father was about your age...well, exactly your age, now that you mention it...'
I burst out laughing in the theatre at how terrible that line was. And they even used it again as a flashback voice over, or whatever its called.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas Rapport"I'VE NEVER SEEN A BRAIN LIKE THAT"
-Phony Doctor from the Butterfly Effect
Quote from: RecceWorst line ever: 'Well, when your father was about your age...well, exactly your age, now that you mention it...'
I burst out laughing in the theatre at how terrible that line was. And they even used it again as a flashback voice over, or whatever its called.
hahaha, i'm totally watching this for the badness. these lines are pure cheese as NEON would say.
under the paving stones.

Finn

I thought Melora Walters was a really good choice as the mom, but she was pretty awful just like the rest of them.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Recce

Quote from: QuoyleI thought Melora Walters was a really good choice as the mom, but she was pretty awful just like the rest of them.
Yeah...and if all the actors were bad, its pretty obvious it was jsut a bad script. Too bad, it could have been really cool.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

billybrown

Quote from: petevery bad things is like a student film that lasted two hours, where it's all dark and darker and darker, like that's really gonna shock anybody or is still funny.
the rundown has ONE pretty cool fight scene where Ernie Reyes Jr. as one of the pigmies kicks the Rock's ass.  that was the best AMERICAN fight scene to come out of 2003--better than yoda, better than neo vs. robots, better than uma being doubled by a chunky guy, better than stifler and chow yunfat, or charlie's angels, or any other instances where white people pertended they could fight this year.

:?  Ah, no and no.

The party scenes in Very Bad Things with the prostitute and the bachelor party gone awry - alone - are better, more inventive, and more entertaining than the entire steaming hot pile of excrement that was The Rundown. One cool fight scene does not a movie make.

cine

New Line Home Entertainment have now officially announced The Butterfly Effect which stars Ashton Kutcher, Amy Smart, Eric Stoltz and Ethan Suplee. As we have already reported, the disc will be available to own from the 6th July this year, and should set you back around $27.95. The film will form part of the Infinifilm range, and will include the theatrical version of the film, as well as a 120 minute director's cut that includes additional scenes as well as an alternate ending. The full disc specs for this one are attached below, along with the official artwork that includes holographic foil packaging:

1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX Surround Track
English DTS ES 6.1 Surround Track
English 2.0 Dolby Surround Track
Butterfly Effect Infinifilm Fact Track
Audio Commentary with Director and Screenwriters
The Science and Psychology of the Chaos Theory
The History and Allure of Time Travel
The Creative Process Visual Effects
Selection of Deleted Scenes with Commentary
Storyboards & Theatrical Trailer
DVD-ROM: Script-to-Screen Feature
DVD-ROM: Link to Original Website
DVD-ROM: Exclusive On-Disc ROM Content
DVD-ROM: Exclusive Content at Infinifilm.com

Weird. Oh

When I finished watching this I thought, eh it wasn't that bad. Then as I thought over it, this movie really blew. I won't really go into what has already been killed to death in this thread about the acting. it was abominable. Kutcher's range was from stupid look of confusion to half laugh/half sad smirk.  I think the screenwriter was sitting at his computer one day and his computer crashed. And he hit his Xp restore point and thought "hey what if life was this".

Spoilers: the directors cut ending is just really laughable. Kutcher strangles himself in the womb and was never born.

I actually laughed at a good amount of stuff. Classic is when Kutcher blew his arms off and tried to grab a granola bar with his fake hands.

I thought the story progression was pretty good actually with the tragedies the kids went through and it showed them progression. The need to concoct a peferct ending for everyone's life just ruins it.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

SiliasRuby

It's not even too the point where "it's so terrible it's actually good". I saw it once in theatre's because when I saw the trailer I thought it might be an interesting concept. But I remember coming out of the theatre angry at myself that I spend actual hard earned cash on it. STAY AWAY!....
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

pete

whoa, finally, someone on this board went out to see The Butterfly Effect for us.  thank you.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine