The New World

Started by edison, December 09, 2004, 12:09:28 AM

RegularKarate

This is the PERFECT movie to initiate this in, THANKS JAPAN!

pete

if malick had anything to do with the creation of the smell, it's one thing, but if it's whoever created the technology forcing his fragrant interpretation of the movie onto the audience, that's another.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

I forgot to post this a few weeks ago, but here's an early draft of Malick's script for The New World.

I've only skimmed it so far, but it's interesting to see how dense his screenwriting is, and to imagine how it serves as an outline for the eventual film. A lot of the script is made up of the sort of descriptive passages you'd find in novels - the sort of thing that would make any Robert McKee tear his hair out.

I also like how he includes alternate endings.

pubrick edit: fixed link

samsong

"The New World pines sway back and forth in ecstasy, forever awaiting the determined sailor."

:cry:

Sunrise

Quote from: flagpolespecial on May 04, 2006, 06:02:18 AM
saw this today.
will see tomorrow and the next day and the next day....

Welcome aboard.

MacGuffin

Best Buy is selling the DVD ($18) with exclusive box art:

Regular artwork:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Non-existent EXCITING Edition!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

Quote from: matt35mm on February 27, 2006, 04:18:10 PM
Wow, I've never seen a 60-minute making-of that features not a frame of the writer-director.  Looking forward to it.
How true this is.  I wonder if the making-of cameras ever accidentally caught a smidgen of Malick.

picolas

Quote from: flagpolespecial on May 10, 2006, 09:41:57 AMin my eyes, the new world is his best film.
why?

Quote from: flagpolespecial on May 10, 2006, 09:41:57 AMmalick has raised the bar even higher with this film.
how?

RegularKarate

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 07, 2006, 12:25:23 PM
Best Buy is selling the DVD ($18) with exclusive box art:

Just in case anyone here was planning on going out of their way to get this, it's just a slip cover over the original box and they even put that goddamn price sticker on it.

Pozer

Quote from: RegularKarate on May 10, 2006, 02:55:10 PM
it's just a slip cover over the original box and they even put that goddamn price sticker on it.
Ha Ha.  How true this is.  I was thinking about that as I was standing in line waiting to purchase it. 

modage

yea okay, so tell me again why we're talking about this movie?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

dude, voicing your dissatisfaction towards a movie is one thing, chiming in every other page just to shit on other people's delight is another.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

meatwad

for anybody who watched the making of doc, was i seeing things, or did Emmanuel Lubezki   answer his cell phone in the middle of a shot?

analogzombie

you are correct sir, he sure did.

after watching the doc I was amazed by how completely hilarious all the LA people were trying to deal with normal Virginia weather. Listening to them you'd have thought they were making Apocalypse Now. Very boring doc all together.

Nice film tho.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."