What did you see this weekend?

Started by Teen Wolf, September 29, 2003, 12:02:24 PM

bonanzataz

i saw matchstick men on saturday. it was really good and i was pleasantly surprised to see ms. melora there, even if only for about 30 seconds. the only movies i've seen in the past two weeks were in theaters, which is weird, because before kill bill came out, the last movie i saw in theaters was freddy vs. jason.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

oh dear, it has been that many, hasn't it?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Cecil

yeah yeah, pretend like you dont pay attention to your post count

MacGuffin

Rabbit Proof Fence

As powerful a movie as "Magdalene Sisters" was. The scene where the girls are taken away had me in tears. You can't help but get caught up in the girls' journey, feeling their pain and suffering of weathering the elements working against them. Beautiful cinematography where every frame in the open desert was like a painting.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

I saw a really sadistic Japanese coming-of-age film called Blue Spring.  It was really good, about a bunch of destructive high school nerds who took over their school and just kinda beat the shit out of everyone.  It's really stark and really good, not as optimistic as Battle Royale, though just as violent in its depiction of kids-on-kids crimes.
started watching invincible (by Herzog), I saw it a while before, but was too put-off by the terribly-dubbed dialogue, now I'm trying to get over that and watch it again.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

Monster (bleh), The Philadelphia Story (okay), and Lost in Translation (amazing, of course).  Pretty good weekend, I'd say.  I have Coming Home, Atlantic City, and Permanent Midnight waiting for me, but Coming Home is so incredibly boring that I haven't been able to finish it in two tries.  That hasn't happened with a movie in a while: that I've been so apathetic I didn't even want to finish it.  And I thought the "anomie" element brought up in another thread would make it interesting enough to see (which is why I checked it out in the first place).

Ghostboy

I saw My Architect. Fantastic documentary. There's a scene at the end that is one of the most perfect explanations of great art that I've ever seen/heard.

Good call on Rabbit Proof Fence, Mac. One of my favorites of last year.

SHAFTR

I saw

Kentucky Fried Movie
and
Deathstalker
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Chest Rockwell

Saturday: Triplets of Belleville, City of God
Sunday: Lost in Translation (3rd time), 50 First Dates

I really liked all of them, even 50 First Dates, which was surprisingly good and heartwarming.

Pubrick

The Son's Room - i think it gave me OCD  :(  ..small price to pay.

Fuckland - i hav built a tolerance for shaky camera, this was pretty fascinating.
under the paving stones.

snaporaz

saw secondhand lions - the girlfriend's sister lent it to us. mildly entartaining, far from memorable.

saw perfect blue. pretty cool flick. i like how it really got me thinking throughout the film, without trying too hard to go over my head. and now i know where aranofsky got that shot. asshole.

will try to see my valentine's gift tonight, tillie's punctured romance.

pete

Quote from: MacGuffinRabbit Proof Fence

As powerful a movie as "Magdalene Sisters" was. The scene where the girls are taken away had me in tears. You can't help but get caught up in the girls' journey, feeling their pain and suffering of weathering the elements working against them. Beautiful cinematography where every frame in the open desert was like a painting.

whoa that's funny, I rented that this weekend too.  I saw it at the theaters, the "world music" soundtrack was kinda cheesy but the cinematographer was just amazing.  Christopher Doyle IS the best cinematographer working out there right now.  So versatile and so knowledgeble.  Oh I worship that guy.  And I just found out that when he was in Taiwan he used to work under my mom doing gruntwork for this art institution my mom was at...that was before he found his calling as a cinematographer.)
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

I watched Azumi on Saturday.  The fight scenes and cinematography are fantastic.  Japanese R2 DVD review here

Find Your Magali

Quote from: SHAFTRI saw

Kentucky Fried Movie
and
Deathstalker

Whoa. Best...weekend...ever.

I definitely want to attend your film festival.  :-D