SHATTERED GLASS

Started by Finn, November 29, 2003, 10:27:28 AM

Finn

Has anybody seen this yet? I saw it in New Orleans over Thanksgiving. Terrific movie! Apparently it's based on a true story. Hayden Christensen is just perfect in this role and I liked all of the other actors too. This is one of the few movies that have captured my attention all the way through. When I walked out of the theater, many people were complaining that there wasn't enough history on this character for us to care about him when he starts getting in trouble. I didn't really feel that way because we're really not supposed to care about this guy.

More information...
http://imdb.com/title/tt0323944/

Poster...
http://www.impawards.com/2003/shattered_glass.html

Trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/shattered_glass.html
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Ghostboy

I really enjoyed it. I thought it actually could have been a little longer...it's a very tight, brief dramatic thriller, although thriller isn't exactly the right word since we know exactly what's going to happen and we're not exactly rooting for Stephen Glass to come out on top. The true story is just as fascinating -- there were some great interviews recently on Fresh Air with the editor played by Peter Saarsgard, and it sounds like the movie is pretty damn accurate.

I was also pleased to see Anakin Skywalker, who, with the benefit of good direction, turned in a perfect performance.

MacGuffin

The controversial tale of disgraced journalist Stephen Glass, Shattered Glass has failed to garner the buzz of some of the bigger indies this Oscar season, but it is well worth checking out on DVD when it hits stores on March 23rd. Starring Peter Sarsgaard and Hayden Christensen, Lion's Gate Home Entertainment will present the flick in anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 2.0 surround, plus a 60 Minutes interview with the real Stephen Glass and trailers. Retail will be $26.95.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

it had such a strong cast too, hank azaria, rosario dawson, and steven zahn.  dawson was so hot in her first shot.  she should play office nerds more.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

NEON MERCURY

.hey guys i just wanted to let you know that this dvd does contain a commentary track w/ the director and the real life character that peter saarsgard plays(its not mentioned on the back of the box)....its phucking awesome(track and film).....!!!.. i saw this yesterday and it blew my mind man...this is a must.........trust a brotha....

ono

I forgot that I saw this about a month ago.  Tells you how ... uneventful it was.  It's not that it was a bad movie.  I was engaged the whole way through.  It's just that the problem with this material is there's only so much one can do with it.  So it was a decent film with good performances.  Always good to see Chloe Sevigny.  But it was a bit underwhelming.  Definitely worth seeing, though, if you're the least bit interested in the subject matter.

cine

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAlways good to see Chloe Sevigny.  
Yeah, I like her in everything she does. However, I'm not going to see the Brown Bunny because I heard that she blows in that.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAlways good to see Chloe Sevigny.  
Yeah, I like her in everything she does. However, I'm not going to see the Brown Bunny because I heard that she blows in that.

yes its true cinephile,  she sucks in that film

ono

©brad

so um, is it called shattered glass b/c they break glasses or mirrors or sumthing?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ©bradso um, is it called shattered glass b/c they break glasses or mirrors or sumthing?

because the main character is called Stephen Glass and is about his downfall. Typical New Republic title. I just saw it myself and loved it. Well structured drama that was pretty fucking gripping. I doubted it at first, but Anakin Skywalker can act when he's not tied to George Lucas' leash. All the rest of the actors were excellent, too. All around excellent movie that really should have been playing at more theatres because I can't see how this film is just an "arthouse" affair. It just had no stars!

El Duderino

i rented this movie last night and all in all, i liked it a lot. peter sarsgaard was great great great. hayden christensen....good, definetly better than he was in star wars. chloe was good, but she was in the movie for like a total of 20 mins. hank azaria was also good...it's always good to see him do some drama. anywho...i reccomend it.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

SiliasRuby

Nice little drama but I also thought that it could have been a little longer. I saw it months ago and forgot to post about it, but yeah definitely worth seeing.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

watched this off the tivo last night.  started it late expecting to just watch part of it but ended up staying awake through till the end.  so, in that way it was pretty good.  good cast, interesting story, doing a lot with a small setting... but like everyone else said, not extraordinary.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

saw this yesterday too... i read about the real story a while ago and the film was very accurate...

i was also looking forward to seeing anakin and he did a very good job here... although he is a sissy like in starwars