Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

wilberfan

Quote from: Rooty Poots on June 20, 2021, 11:11:13 PM
What about Bradley Cooper dripping in blood?

Nah.  I think it's played completely for laughs. The wee ones are safe.

Drill

I thought that gas station scene was described as "Oldboy-level" violent?

And about the "writing a script with his daughter" thing, I think he was just trying to be cute.

pynchonikon

Quote from: Drill on June 21, 2021, 10:37:48 AM
I thought that gas station scene was described as "Oldboy-level" violent?

Turns out it's pictured more as a violent outburst in the Tarantino-esque way of comedic depiction, and a relatively brief one.
You probably still have the "f" word, though (It amazes how they could avoid that in Phantom Thread and they still didn't). Maybe some weed smoking, too, or even cocaine if the entertainment industry is a big part of the plot.

Yes

Quote from: pynchonikon on June 20, 2021, 04:38:43 PM
It's a safe bet this will be rated R as well, I suppose his daughter Pearl who's turning 16 this year will see it and that's it.

I was wondering lately when he will open up about the film for the first time. He gave his first Phantom Thread interview three weeks before the first preview screenings. Or he could just wait to attend the press conference of the festival Soggy Bottom will premiere in.

Trailer probably in July/August. September at latest. Maybe he'll have an interview with Entertainment Weekly when it premieres online or something

If not, then we won't get press until the festival premieres in September. (Venice is Sept 1-11. Telluride is Sept 2-6. TIFF is Sept 9-18. NYFF is Sept 24-October 10)

pynchonikon

I'm sure we have already seen this stuff but let's brush up a bit.

https://twitter.com/alisonmartino/status/1407402711562153987

wilberfan

The Sherman Oaks location.  (Photo taken in the 80s.)

Source

Drill

Hmm......birthday screening?

QuoteHappy birthday #paulthomasanderson love you and your gorgeous family so much. 💋 this photograph I took of you says so much to me.... Perhaps the Christmas tree needles and #teddemme hahahahaha...... Btw that movie last night was unreal..... I mean ...... wtf......and those offspring my god babe.....look out world!!!!

wilberfan

QuoteBtw that movie last night was unreal..... I mean ...... wtf...
Yeah. That could be almost anything, tho, right?  If it was Soggy, it'd probably have to be just pieces, or a very rough edit?

Quote...and those offspring my god babe.....look out world!!!!
My first reading of that was "Cooper & Alana"--but clearly she meant offspring closer to home.

I like that they're still close with Amanda, and kind of maintaining a kind of Demmemonde.

Tdog

Quote from: Drill on June 27, 2021, 10:15:08 AM
Hmm......birthday screening?

QuoteHappy birthday #paulthomasanderson love you and your gorgeous family so much. 💋 this photograph I took of you says so much to me.... Perhaps the Christmas tree needles and #teddemme hahahahaha...... Btw that movie last night was unreal..... I mean ...... wtf......and those offspring my god babe.....look out world!!!!

Judging by the comments; Sharon Stone is hot for Paul!

Alma

I dunno when this was announced so sorry if it's already been posted but CinemaCon's schedule is out and MGM is presenting their upcoming slate on 24th August so hopefully we will find out something then if not before. Fingers crossed for a trailer.

Also that Sharon Stone comment is hilarious  :yabbse-grin:

wilberfan

Quote from: pynchonikon on June 22, 2021, 05:55:33 PM
I'm sure we have already seen this stuff but let's brush up a bit.

https://twitter.com/alisonmartino/status/1407402711562153987

I suspect it's not a coincidence (nor an excuse for a cock joke) that this restaurant will play a role in Soggy.

Swan Song for Tail O' the Cock--Shops to Replace Restaurant

By JAMES BATES
JAN. 4, 1987 12 AM PT
TIMES STAFF WRITER
Tail O' the Cock closed for good late Saturday night.

QuoteThe Studio City restaurant, one of the San Fernando Valley's first upscale eateries and once a hangout for Hollywood celebrities, is to be razed for a shopping center.

QuoteDuring its heyday, the Studio City restaurant was frequently the place where stars took their lunch breaks while working on pictures at nearby studios. Celebrities who have eaten at the restaurant, according to employees, include Ronald Reagan, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and Robert Kennedy.

wilberfan

I'll put this here, as it opens Soggy-centric.

P.S.H. I Love You: Hard Eight – it's always good to meet a new friend

QuoteCooper Hoffman, Philip Seymour Hoffman's son, will play a substantial part in Paul Thomas Anderson's next film. Currently titled Soggy Bottom and set for release at the end of this year, we know very little about Anderson's upcoming work, but it was confirmed last fall that Cooper will be playing "the child actor at the center of the movie." His presence alone is significant in and of itself. Looking back at the photos from the set, I found a lump forming in my throat.

Cooper is seventeen now – he was ten when his father died. His sisters Tallulah and Willa were seven and five. Paul Thomas Anderson wasn't just a guy their dad worked with, he was a family friend. Hoffman collaborated with Anderson more often than any other filmmaker in his career: the pair made five movies together across seventeen years. Off-screen, Phil would tell stories about his buddy Paul, and the time he was so in love that he tackled Hoffman on the streets of the West Village. It was a rich, meaningful friendship that came before whatever either was working on. Did Cooper feel the weight of his father's legacy on the set of Soggy Bottom? Did the familiarity of being around Anderson make things easier?

Yes

QuotePaul Thomas Anderson and Michael De Luca are film geeks with a shared history. As a studio executive, Mr. De Luca championed Mr. Anderson's "Boogie Nights" and "Magnolia," films that established the director's reputation as a creative force. So when Focus Features said it would postpone the production of Mr. Anderson's new film because of the pandemic, it was Mr. De Luca, in his new role as chairman of MGM's Motion Picture Group, who swooped in and pledged to get the movie into production in Los Angeles when Mr. Anderson wanted to shoot.

And being that the two men can't resist the pull of old Hollywood, Mr. De Luca made sure to amp up the nostalgia associated with his efforts to reinvigorate MGM, the once mighty studio that in recent decades has been reduced to a financial Ping-Pong ball, volleyed back and forth by various investors eager to turn the company's 4,000-film library into a cash cow.

"I said, 'This will be fun. Come make your movie at Metro,'" Mr. De Luca recalled with a laugh, referring to the studio's former moniker of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

Mr. Anderson was game.

"If Mike says something will happen, it happens," he said. "It's hard not to stress how rare of a quality that is."

At MGM, the two have compiled a heady mix of A-list directors and compelling material they hope hearkens back to the days when Fred Astaire and Judy Garland roamed the once-hallowed studio's hallways. The next six months will show if their strategy pays off. Mr. Anderson's movie will debut on Nov. 26. It will follow Ridley Scott's pulpy drama "House of Gucci," starring Lady Gaga and Adam Driver. In December, Joe Wright's musical adaptation of "Cyrano," with Peter Dinklage and featuring music from The National, will be released

QuoteAs part of their efforts, Mr. De Luca and Mrs. Abdy even had MGM's logo reworked: Leo the lion is now digital and the gold film ribbons that encircle him have been sharpened "to own gold the way Netflix owns red," Mr. De Luca said. The three Latin words encircling the lion — "Ars Gratia Artis" — are first spelled out in English: "Art for Art's Sake."

That's music to Mr. Anderson's ears.

"Long live the lion!" he said. "Whether it's 'The Wizard of Oz' or 'Tom & Jerry' cartoons, the lion is a symbol of our business. The healthier, the better."

And how does he feel about MGM being sold to Amazon?

"Who?" he responded.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/06/business/media/mgm-amazon-michael-deluca-pamela-abdy.html?smid=tw-share

Drill

So it's still untitled. The dragged out reveal of a title he always seems to do now has become possibly his most annoying trait. Especially if/when it ends up being what it was always called.