Altered Innocence

Started by jenkins, July 01, 2021, 06:34:01 PM

jenkins

Do you want to christen this the Altered Innocence thread? Trailer for Sound and Fury (De bruit et de fureur)

wilder

Jean-Claude Brisseau is my favorite filmmaker discovery of the past couple of years. He's been described as the French Michael Haneke and that's not quite right, but he's definitely a spiritual companion. This'll be my third time buying Sound and Fury (UK DVD > French blu > AI).

I'm going to split this post and create a dedicated Altered Innocence thread in the other subform. Only thing keeping this place from becoming reddit now is context.

jenkins

Totally. Was thinking to include Pompei but it's fine on its own journey. Since they release new movies and because I saw LA Plays Itself theatrically, to cover broader possibilities, can this live in News and Theory?

jenkins

this is currently playing theatrically at the Quad in NYC

wilder

Quote from: wilder on July 01, 2021, 07:42:41 PMI'm going to split this post and create a dedicated Altered Innocence thread in the other subform. Only thing keeping this place from becoming reddit now is context.

Quote from: jenkins on July 01, 2021, 07:56:29 PM
can this live in News and Theory?

I'm open to an argument for it but I guess I don't really understand. The format of this board having individual threads for new releases seems to work well.

This brings up the whole is it a [Brand] Movie or a Movie being released by [Brand]? A24 as a study in [Brand] eventually usurping authorship.

I still like the idea of authorship of a movie, that's me being old-fashioned, but I know if I made something I'd hope it could be framed as a thing apart from a continuous content release chain. The catalog stuff already had its day in the sun, came out on its own terms apart from the [Brand], so I figured dedicated threads in The Grapevine or This Year In Film for new releases, and catalog titles in a dedicated Altered Innocence thread as they're being highlighted (again).

The benefits of curation by said [Brand] definitely come into play here and I'm all for that that's cool, but then if we're outsourcing curation to the [Brand] anyway why post?

Clearly overthinking this but it does bug me. At the end of the day it's the internet and who cares. You do you, I'll do me.

jenkins

short story i wouldn't have made this thread as it is but i'll do me and whip it into shape

jenkins

https://www.twitter.com/AltInnocence/status/1419712457266761728

QuoteAntonio Giménez Rico's stunning portrait documents the lives of six transgender women living in 1980s Madrid during Spain's post-Franco makeover into a constitutional monarchy. Through wide-ranging conversations and interviews, the women discuss their experiences of night life, family, sex work, the legal system, and their personal narratives of transition. In an historical moment that witnessed a dramatic expansion of legal rights and political representation, their stories are an indictment of the repressive, transphobic institutions that remain entrenched in Spanish society. Featured in the hit series Veneno and the subject of a book-length history by Valeria Vargas, this provocative but nuanced portrayal joins a wave of rediscovered and reconsidered documents of trans lives in cinema.

This film will only be screened theatrically.

The trailer in Spanish

It's different than this

https://www.twitter.com/AltInnocence/status/1415750612310847488

Shughes

I'm a big fan of Altered Innocence. They are the US Distributor of my short Bunny - included on their Altered Innocence Vol.1 release. Great to work with.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/alteredinnocencevol1/509534568

jenkins

that's cool. yeah i have vol 1., but i haven't watched them yet because sometimes i purposely delay watching things. i look forward to watching Bunny

the first AI movie i saw was Permanent Green Light, but at the time AI didn't click with me, seemed random. so now that i'm into them i told Cooper he made a fine selection. and he said yeah someone with a G name is great, Greg or Gary or other G name

WorldForgot

~ swoooon ~
great teaser lol, I'm there

Shughes

Quote from: jenkins on July 27, 2021, 12:55:52 PM
the first AI movie i saw was Permanent Green Light, but at the time AI didn't click with me, seemed random. so now that i'm into them i told Cooper he made a fine selection. and he said yeah someone with a G name is great, Greg or Gary or other G name

Yeah it's run by Frank Jaffe and he's fantastic. Maybe Jaffe is the G name/sounding name?