Hero

Started by Jack Sparrow, March 29, 2003, 12:21:56 PM

El Duderino

i liked Jet Li and the cinematography. that's about it. some of the fight scenes were coreographed well, but i didnt really think it was that great.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

RegularKarate

Flawed as it was, I really enjoyed it.

I guess I thought it was going to be cheaper so I was pleasantly surprised.

The cinematography and fight scenes alone made this worth seeing for sure.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

analogzombie

It was a beautiful film, well acted, a masterpiece, but... I was expecting a masterpiece of another kind.

From the trailer the film looks to be an epic kung-fu revenge quest filled with blood, death and awesomeness, not the weepy, grandiose, Rashomon style melodrama it is.

I think I have figured out why I don't like the WiuXiu style of fantasical Kung Fu films: no blood, techniclaly perfect, yet boring fight sequences, and too much damm flying.

And the retelling and retelling of the central story as new facts came to light got real old real quick. How many times do we have to see the guy get stabbed or someone scream in slow-mo? It was like watching the Lord of the RIngs films back to back and realizing that frodo falling down all the time is pretty boring actually.

I should have known what to expect when i learned that the actors from 'In the Mood for Love' were in this one. I love that film and I think i would have loved this one too if I had gone into it expecting a soap opera. But I honestly feel i was duped severely by the marketing. Is it possible that Tarantino's love for this film gave him the idea to misrepresent it in the trailer just to get more people out to experience what he feels is an awesome film?

in the end I just don't care about this thing. give me Casshern, or any awesome samurai film instead of these epic kung-fu fables. I bet if all the slow-mo shots were sped up the film would have lost about an hour of run time.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

MacGuffin

Quote from: analogzombieIs it possible that Tarantino's love for this film gave him the idea to misrepresent it in the trailer just to get more people out to experience what he feels is an awesome film?

No. That would be Disney/Miramax's marketing department.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

analogzombie

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: analogzombieIs it possible that Tarantino's love for this film gave him the idea to misrepresent it in the trailer just to get more people out to experience what he feels is an awesome film?

No. That would be Disney/Miramax's marketing department.

good point, damm you Weinsteins!!!
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

MacGuffin

Chinese Film 'Hero' Tops North American Box Office

Two years after opening in China, the martial arts thriller "Hero" set a record for an Asian film in North America, kicking off at No. 1 with a better-than-expected haul of $17.8 million, according to studio estimates issued on Sunday.

Miramax Films' Jet Li vehicle was the only highlight of an otherwise quiet weekend for movies. Ticket sales tend to be slow in late August and early September since studios have already released their big summer guns and are getting ready to roll out their Oscar contenders and holiday crowd pleasers.

"Hero," directed by Zhang Yimou, was nominated for a foreign-language Oscar in 2003. Jet Li plays a nameless warrior in the third century BC, when China was split into warring kingdoms.

In a rare development for a foreign-language film, Miramax distributed "Hero" in 2,031 theaters across North America. Most foreign films open in a handful of theaters in the top markets and slowly expand if ticket sales are good.

Miramax has been sitting on the film for two years, prompting speculation that it was unhappy with it. The studio, which has been engaged in a lengthy feud with its Disney parent, paid a reported $21 million to distribute "Hero" in North America and some European territories.

A Miramax spokeswoman said the delay was because the studio did not want it released too close to director Ang Lee's similarly themed "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," which won four Oscars in 2001.

It also wanted to advertise the film by putting trailers for both films in kung-fu buff Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill" series. "Hero" comes with a "Quentin Tarantino presents" tag, just to drive the point home. Not surprisingly, Miramax said the audience was mostly male, aged between 18 and 29.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinA Miramax spokeswoman said the delay was because the studio did not want it released too close to director Ang Lee's similarly themed "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," which won four Oscars in 2001.
good thinking, i think three years apart will about do it.  in related news, in order to avoid the Spider-Man 2 crowds, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow has been moved to September 17th, 2007.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

yeah, but just as sky captain has NOTHING in common with Spiderman, Hero really has not much in common with Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.  A lot of it just comes down to the dumb opinions of marketing execs.  Like how Zatoichi is pretty much gone from the theater this weekend, because I guess each theater is only allowed to play one foreign film that features swords.
- Buster Keaton

pete

question: did anyone else think that this film was a defense of imperialism?
- Buster Keaton

Alethia

this movie was terriffic

picolas

spoils

it was alright. good concept/lies and fights (mixed with terrible cg).. but a lot of it would never work literally the way they showed it. it would have to be a fairy tale. (eg everyone chanting the exact same speech at the exact same time to the king. how can that be percieved as anything but funny? it's Life of Brian.)

Ghostboy

Quote from: picolasit would have to be a fairy tale. (eg everyone chanting the exact same speech at the exact same time to the king.

I thought the mythic fairy tale element was a given. You know, given the flying sword fights and such...

picolas

Quote from: GhostboyI thought the mythic fairy tale element was a given. You know, given the flying sword fights and such...
well, yeah. it kind of inhabited that world, but i didn't believe a lot of the things that happened on film like i would if i had read them in a children's book. film fairy-tale logic and fairy-tale fairy-tale logic is different.

pete

whoa a little condescending now aren't we.
- Buster Keaton