Oppenheimer

Started by WorldForgot, March 22, 2022, 09:20:27 PM

WorldForgot

Quote from: HACKANUT on December 19, 2022, 10:38:08 AMThis gives me hope that it's filled with lots of "men at work" type shit a la TWBB. Hopefully not a lot of dialogue since Nolan just never pulls off words IMO.
Those Doug Trumbull looking effects are pretty gorgeous too. Sure to be a highlight.

It'll have hella men at work ish for sure, the book goes into major detail to describe the passion for science necessary to arrive at the bomb at such a time crunch, and against the military's pressure to risk other nations. (these scientists believed the bomb would be used on the Germans)

Zero chance this can be pulled off with minimal dialogue. Maybe i'll be proved wrong but going off it's source material, it's going to be more of an espionage flick than peeps expect. And obviously the security hearings are getting a lot of B&W press photos. Can't do courtroom without dialogue dumps.

RudyBlatnoyd

Releasing something seemingly so dialogue-driven and doom-laden in the middle of summer is an admirable act of counter-programming, regardless of whether the movie lives up to expectations or not. Some clunky lines here, but I wonder if that's partly the way the trailer has been cut to clarify the premise for a general moviegoing public who're probably largely uninformed of this story.

WorldForgot

Needs to end with a Marvel esque chyron;
Oppenheimer will
*fade in* not return

Jeremy Blackman

Too many biopic vibes and historical fiction cliches in this trailer.

RudyBlatnoyd

Three hours of men in rooms talking about geo-politics – only this time, in IMAX!

I'll definitely see it, because I find this story fascinating, but I'm hoping this is a conventional trailer cut from a more unconventional movie (if this is true, I'm not sure it was the best marketing move by Universal to make it look more like Oscar bait than it really is).

WorldForgot

Featurette on Oppenheimer's cinematography ~

QuoteAcademy Award® nominee Florence Pugh plays psychiatrist Jean Tatlock, Benny Safdie plays theoretical physicist Edward Teller, Michael Angarano plays Robert Serber and Josh Hartnett plays pioneering American nuclear scientist Ernest Lawrence.

Oppenheimer also stars Oscar® winner Rami Malek and reunites Nolan with eight-time Oscar® nominated actor, writer and filmmaker Kenneth Branagh.

The cast includes Dane DeHaan (Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets), Dylan Arnold (Halloween franchise), David Krumholtz (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs), Alden Ehrenreich (Solo: A Star Wars Story) and Matthew Modine (The Dark Knight Rises).

The film is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and the late Martin J. Sherwin. The film is produced by Emma Thomas, Atlas Entertainment's Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan.

Oppenheimer is filmed in a combination of IMAX® 65mm and 65mm large-format film photography including, for the first time ever, sections in IMAX® black and white analogue photography.

WorldForgot

Some reminiscing on Planet of the Apes on the 'xax Discord server brought Wilberfan to this advert for an Oppenheimer play in LA:

And I recalled there was a small bit about that in American Prometheus so here's that slice:

RudyBlatnoyd

Early reactions (from actual journalists, not those randos who seem to pop out of the woodwork to rave about things like The Flash before they get properly press-screened) are positive. Saw someone compare it to Oliver Stone's JFK, which is a big 'yes' from me – love that crazy-ass movie.

WorldForgot

Not as good as the book, what can ya do ~ Some of the contrivances are meant to be dramatic 'shorthand' but I dont think they were needed. More time could have been spent watching Oppie live with
Spoiler: ShowHide
Frank, Jean, or Kitty
and we'd have understood his flaws better than being 'told' about his reputation. Or hell, even just have two or three more scenes of even younger Oppie, the irony of learning to ride horseback to clear his asthma at the site of Los Alamos.

Jennifer Lame rulez!! I hope she gets a nomination for her work here.

Works best for me in the spirit of expressionism. Sound motifs and crumbling sense of surroundings. Nolan finally letting his filmz have a hint of libido. Just a light sprinkle.

Seems like Nolan sneaks late film visual effects to early scenes with I.I. Rabi.

WorldForgot

Spoiler: ShowHide
I didn't love Ben Safdie's accent in the movie, and it felt like Kitty's accent came and went? But the cast made its runtime fly by

mogwai

Saw this yesterday with "Barbie" as a double feature. I felt it was a bit too long but the cast was amazing. The cinematography reminded me a bit of "The Master" so I was almost expecting that weird music by Johnny Greenwood in a couple of scenes. I can easily see that this movie will win a lot of awards next year.

For real tho.

WorldForgot

RudyBlatnoyd

Saw this in 70mm yesterday. One of the strangest tentpole releases of recent years, if not ever.

It's completely anti-spectacle - three hours of claustrophobic close-ups of men in small rooms talking a mile a minute. Even the Trinity sequence is treated in an abstract way - Nolan showing admirable restraint in resisting the impulse to turn this moral failure into a 'money shot'?

Not sure what I felt overall. It's very Nolan: sometimes very smart, sometimes very stupid. Some of the sound design choices seemed highly questionable to me. The cast, especially the supporting players, are mostly excellent. Casey Affleck really stood out to me, in a tiny one scene part. That guy is talented.

Anyway, I'll probably see it a second time to get my thoughts in order.

wilberfan

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on July 30, 2023, 03:39:15 AM...three hours of claustrophobic close-ups of men in small rooms talking a mile a minute.

This sounds like a next-level, Tarantino-filmed-a-stage-play-in-70mm ("Hateful Eight").  For this I'm waiting 2 more weeks to see it in 15-perf 70mm IMAX?   :yabbse-tongue:

RudyBlatnoyd

It do be a bit like that, to be honest. Nolan has completed the PTA and Tarantino auteur trilogy: films shot on a rarely-used, outsized format that are mainly composed of a series of close-ups.