Rolling Stone: Fiona Apple Ripe for Return

Started by neatahwanta, October 17, 2003, 03:21:47 PM

Ghostboy

Quote from: neatahwanta

What is the Ultimate Fake Book?

The Ultimate Fake Jazz Book

There are tons of these 'fake' music books. I remember reading that she sat down for a year with a jazz piano book and taught herself how to play, but I never heard the title.

When 'When The Pawn' first came out, I couldn't stop listening to it. There was so much going on in the music...it just amazed me. I was seriously addicted for months. Like Pookie said, it still holds up now, from a (almost) totally objective POV.

pookiethecat

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: neatahwanta

What is the Ultimate Fake Book?

The Ultimate Fake Jazz Book

There are tons of these 'fake' music books. I remember reading that she sat down for a year with a jazz piano book and taught herself how to play, but I never heard the title.

When 'When The Pawn' first came out, I couldn't stop listening to it. There was so much going on in the music...it just amazed me. I was seriously addicted for months. Like Pookie said, it still holds up now, from a (almost) totally objective POV.

i read it from the Tidal articles in neverisapromise.com.  i think it was in Spin originally.  and i actually think i misquoted it.  Fiona is quoted as saying she learned on "The Real Book" which is essentially an illegal copy of the Ultimate Fake Book- it's hard to get a copy of the Real Book nowadays as it is outlawed, so most people buy the Ultimate Fake Books which are usually more reliable (in terms of correct chord changes) anyway.  

ghostboy- what is the "almost" thing that hampers your complete objective judgement of the album?  That "almost" intrigues me...
i wanna lick 'em.

neatahwanta

Quote from: pookiethecati read it from the Tidal articles in neverisapromise.com.  i think it was in Spin originally.  and i actually think i misquoted it.  Fiona is quoted as saying she learned on "The Real Book" which is essentially an illegal copy of the Ultimate Fake Book- it's hard to get a copy of the Real Book nowadays as it is outlawed, so most people buy the Ultimate Fake Books which are usually more reliable (in terms of correct chord changes) anyway.

Thanks for the 411 ptc.  8)

Ghostboy

Quote from: pookiethecat

ghostboy- what is the "almost" thing that hampers your complete objective judgement of the album?  That "almost" intrigues me...

I just meant that I love the album so much, and actually have quite an emotional attachment to it due to what was going on with me when it came out, that I can never truly listen to it objectively.

There are a lot of albums that are like that for me.

modage

Quote from: GhostboyI just meant that I love the album so much, and actually have quite an emotional attachment to it due to what was going on with me when it came out, that I can never truly listen to it objectively.

There are a lot of albums that are like that for me.

me too.  weird huh?  dusting it off and playing it automatically takes me right back to that time.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

coffeebeetle

When a friend suggested Tidal to me years ago, I bought it kept it in steady rotation for over a year...then I stopped listening to it over time, but then When the Pawn came out I instantly recognized how much she had matured from her first album...so I'll most likely cream my pants on this one.  She's like a fine wine...you know the rest.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

neatahwanta

Here is a new photo from RS magazine (The Strokes are on the cover), courtesy of kate, aka FionaAppleAddict:

pookiethecat

i wanna lick 'em.

Pedro

Quote from: pookiethecather teeth look very yellow.
ewww yeah they do

Ghostboy

Well, she does smoke.

I think it's a lovely picture.

pookiethecat

it's lovely cuz it's fiona.  but dude, her teeth are yellow and it's gross, ya gotta admit.
i wanna lick 'em.

neatahwanta

Guess who got credit in RS for the photo/--> Lionel Deluy.

pookiethecat

i wanna lick 'em.

neatahwanta

Exhibit A: photo from http://www.lioneldeluy.com (Lionel Deluy being some kind of professional photographer.) found in the music section:

Exhibit B: photograph of Lionel Deluy from the biography section of his own website:

Exhibit C: photos from the Richard Tyler fashion show, late spring / early summer, 2003:

pookiethecat

i wanna lick 'em.