software from ebay

Started by metroshane, August 11, 2003, 03:06:50 PM

metroshane

Anyone ever buy software off ebay?  There seems to be some good deals on Final Cut Pro 4, but I normally hate ebay and am sure i''m gonna get screwed.  

Any testimonials?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Raikus

Just be sure it's with box and not a burn. I've bought software before, but make sure everything (box, manual, original disks) are included. And be sure they have a good rating.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

metroshane

What's this academic version everyone is hocking?  Is it truely the same as the retail version?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

BonBon85

Quote from: metroshaneWhat's this academic version everyone is hocking?  Is it truely the same as the retail version?

I was just going to ask the same thing. On the apple site final cut academic is half the price of the regular version, and flash academic is only $100 versus the usual $500 for the standard version.

Ghostboy

From what I understand, the software is the same, but they have 'Academic' stamped on the logo. Which I guess would be an embarassment to professionals or something.

MacGuffin

Q.  What does academic price mean?
A.  Many software and hardware manufacturers offer discounts to students hoping that the student will become familiar with their products.  They are hoping that you will learn their products and continue to use and upgrade them for the rest of your life.   All products that are marked Academic Price are the same product that you would buy from a normal retail channel, only at a discounted for sale to academic market only. Sometimes that discount is up to 70%. Products that are marked Student Price are usually products that have limited features available, you should check with the computer solution providers in the Computer department to verify if the product is the full version or a limited version.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

actually it's a really good deal....cause as long as it's the Full Version, and you register it....... all you need to do is keep buying the upgrades...I know a lot of people who are riding out software serial numbers they got when they were in school....

metroshane

Actually I think registering it may be the problem.  I was trying to figure out what it was on the apple sight and it made it sound like the minimum you can register is 5.  I could be confused.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: metroshanethe minimum you can register is 5.
5 what?....I am not 100% positive on this either as it doesn't apply to me...but I know a girl who is riding out a copy of Quark from like 5 years ago...

She could just be stealing it now though too... :lol: