21 Grams

Started by NEON MERCURY, May 09, 2003, 06:41:31 PM

meatball

Quote from: Weirdo1769movieMikeYep I have a rental version of the dvd right now. No extras at all. The irony is that on the back of the rental box I have it in it says: " DVD includes a "making of" featurette and "21 grams: In fragments. Very Misleading..

Why oh why.

Weak2ndAct

The box I'm holding has no mention of said feature.  There's not even a blasted trailer on here.  Bollocks.

Chest Rockwell

Bought the DVD. No insert of any kind this time around. And it looks like it has NO features. There better be some sort of re-release.

modage

yeah usually with a movie i really like i dont have the patience to just wait, (like Kill Bill I wont be able to resist), but this is one case where i'm just going to use self-control.  bare bones with another version on the way REALLY pisses me off.  us geeks need to start taking a stand.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

How soon? And what will it look like?

modage

Quote from: Chest RockwellHow soon? And what will it look like?
sometime later this year.  it will look like it has extras.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

.....man   its been months since i last saw this film until i bought the dvd the other day....and does it still hold up ....even better actually....i liked it better the second time..and hopefully the third and so on......but i have to say that this was definately the best acted film all around in 2003..penn, watts, del toro, leo, and penns wife..who i forget her name ..but she i thought was fantastic......and the more i watch this film the more i like the fractured narrative..there are a couple of quotes that concern this for  example  here is what writer quillermo arriaga was quoted as saying about the fractured narative:
"first of all, i didn't want an intellectualized structure-i wanted an emotional structure.  i think that audiences are much more sophisticated day by day.  i think cinema is a very young medium.  its very young.  its not like literature or architecture or painting.  because with picasso you have one eye here and a nose there- you pull back and you can see it is a woman.  i think you must risk to find new languages, because as i said, every story has a way to be told.  for me, this was the best structure to tell the story emotionally.  it was not my intention to make an intellectual game, but to make an emotional experience where the audience is participating more than in other types of films."

...after the couple of viewings of this film i agree......its so phucking emotional....also, the more i think about it the more it differs from amores perros even though both films center around a "tragic car accident".....at the end of amores perros bernals characters has nothing, the lady w/ the leg amputated has lost, and only el chivo receives some sort of redemption.....i know you can read more into that films final outcome with the characters but i'm just doing it basic for times sake in order to show that these films aren't essentially the same......but in 21 grams penn is dead, and both watts and del toro are redemptive characters......they have  the same road ahead of them as el chivo.....also the situations these characters are  thrown into in 21 grams are way different from amores perros ......and amores perros is much more of an agressive film ....while 21 grams takes it easy in  away......but 21 grams is more emotional.......almost every scene needs your attention and all things are energized in each frame.....partly due to the stellar acting, also, due to the script and editing, pacing...and FRACTURED NARATIVE.......plus  21 grams' score is one of the best things that i have heard that complements the film(i.e. requiem for a dream) and gives it that erie mood.....and loss.....of........feeling.....

still the best film in 2003.....

Chest Rockwell

My dad watched the last half hour or so and, after finally getting past the fractured plot, commented: "...Really depressing..."

Finn

Yes, it is depressing to an extent. It reminded me a little bit of Magnolia in the way that these people's miserable lives are intertwined.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Thrindle

Magnolia seemed to have a sense of hope.  21 Grams didn't give me that feeling.
Classic.

Chest Rockwell

I'm agreeing with Thrindle, but only because she's a girl.

Thrindle

Quote from: Chest RockwellI'm agreeing with Thrindle, but only because she's a girl.

I already told you "no" to cyber sex.  You can stop kissing my ass now...  :P
Classic.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Thrindle
Quote from: Chest RockwellI'm agreeing with Thrindle, but only because she's a girl.

Is that a promise?

Thrindle

Quote from: Chest Rockwell
Quote from: Thrindle

Is that a promise?

So what, now you're going to act like you never asked for private Canoodle Lessons?!  Dude, you even told me you were dying!  I had to watch a "dying" man beg!

Sick Bastard  :lol:
Classic.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.