The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Started by underdog, February 27, 2003, 10:14:59 AM

Sleepless

Just give it to me in non-3D at 24 fps. And make it not be shit.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Encouraging review from Empire here. The word is good on Freeman as Bilbo: "This isn't just Tim-from-The Office or Watson in pointy ears, but an actor at the height of his prowess finding every layer to a character it now seems he was born to play."
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

I had just rewatched the original trilogy this week for prob the first time since they came out on DVD a decade ago so they were fresh in my mind. The problems with this were so numerous I thought more didn't work than did. LOTR fans, prepare for your Episode One.  :yabbse-sad:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quote from: Just Withnail on December 08, 2012, 08:27:02 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on December 08, 2012, 05:50:46 PM
48fps?

It's probably my dirty mind, but I can't help reading "48 faps".

For some fanboys, this is their spank material.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

How was the 3D and 48fps?
Very problematic. In the first few minutes its really awful. It looks best when the actors and camera are completely still and when the camera moves at all (particularly when it moves quickly) it made me a little nauseous though it did get better as it went along.

socketlevel

Quote from: modage on December 09, 2012, 08:08:43 PM
How was the 3D and 48fps?
Very problematic. In the first few minutes its really awful. It looks best when the actors and camera are completely still and when the camera moves at all (particularly when it moves quickly) it made me a little nauseous though it did get better as it went along.

I have a mild version of that reaction to all 3D. sadly the common practice is to have something hit you in the face by moving into the foreground, usually a weapon like a spear. I think the best stuff is actually when they go for wide epic shots, showing off the vastness of a horizon line.
the one last hit that spent you...

Drenk

I LOVED it. Didn't felt Episode One at all. It's a children's book, it's not as dark as LOTR ; but, well, Bilbo is so much better than Frodo. And I love the dwarves. And it was a fantastic journey. I was moved and I laughed a lot. The journey worked for me.

Ascension.

ElPandaRoyal

I'm not a big fan of The Lord of the Rings movies, so my curiosity about this was mainly about the 48fps stuff. Well, apart from a very video game looking prologue and a brighter 3D projection than usual, I still had an almost 3 hour long movie to sit through. And it kind of worked for me. One of the major problems I had with the Lord of the Rings movies was the pace, with everything happening all the time, a lot of names to keep track of and some cheesy moments to endure. In this, the pace is slower and therefore makes it a lot easier to follow the story with no need for a notebook. It also left a bit more room for the actors and Martin Freeman was good.

It still has some cheese in it, I still don't like the photography in some scenes (usually in elf land or whatever the hell that is), Peter Jackson still enjoys interminable action sequences and the amazing Cate Blanchett still looks like a robot with a very weird voice. It's the kind of movie like the LOTR trilogy that I don't see myself ever watching again, but it was light fun entertainment for the most part.
Si

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on December 13, 2012, 04:46:01 AM
I still don't like the photography in some scenes (usually in elf land or whatever the hell that is)
IT'S CALLED RIVENDELL OKAY

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on December 13, 2012, 05:19:34 AM
Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on December 13, 2012, 04:46:01 AM
I still don't like the photography in some scenes (usually in elf land or whatever the hell that is)
IT'S CALLED RIVENDELL OKAY

:shock: I don't think I'll ever forget it now...
Si