The Fountain

Started by DavTMcGowan, April 28, 2003, 10:48:01 PM

DavTMcGowan

anybody heard anything recent?

aronosfky.net has some stuff, but all of it is dated from last september.  imdb.com recently included it in it's aronofsky page listing it as "announced".  while that's somewhat reassuring, i'm still dying for some recent updates.

more generally, aronosfky is amazing.  in my opinion, he has the best chance of being this generations kubrick.  and from the script reviews that i've read, the fountain will take a giant step in that direction.  pitt would've been amazing for this role.  like cruise in magnolia.  the hollywood hunk forced to actually act.  damn brad for backing out.  how could anyone turn down the opportunity to work with aronofsky.  christ, haven't you seen his movies.  didn't you see requiem.  are you an idiot?!  (sorry bout that, got carried away there.)

cowboykurtis

this whole situation boils my blood. i was really looking forward to it as well. i imagine the project is scrapped. did they already start principal photography, by the time brad quit? i can see the studio just pulling the plug and writing off their loses. i hope they allow him to make it still.
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

I was anticipating this movie more than any other. Did you read the script review on AICN? It sounded like such a stunning project. Destined for greatness (and box office failure, but that's a given).

The sets were built but photography had not yet started when WB pulled the plug. Arronofsky wants to resurrect the project though, with another lead actor. Joaquin Phoenix's name was bandied about somewhere...

That's two projects Brad Pitt has been attached to that had the potential to be truly great movies...this and the Coen's adaptation of 'To The White Sea'...and both were dropped by the studios. A shame.

DavTMcGowan

from what i've read aronofsky's pretty committed to getting this made, so hopefully it'll happen

phoenix would be great.  WB was demanding a big name like gibson or crowe after pitt pulled out, i don't like the sound of that (might assure aronofsky of his own oscar invitation, but i still don't like it)  phoenix would be much better

the AICN review was fantastic.  aronofsky the bold!!!

Duck Sauce

I actually just went to a Q&A with Aronofsky tonight. He was very vague in all of his answers and besides answering the normal "why did you ______hiphop montage_________?" questions he gave a little insight to his next project, but still he wasnt really giving much because he said he doesnt like to talk about it. Anyways.....

-He is still developing The Fountain and plans to make it someday but will not be his next movie.
-He at one point wrote a Batman script but that project is dead
-His production company owns the rights to a childrens book, I think something about a bear, that he wants to make
-He gets offered a lot of scripts and really really wanted to direct Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
-His company has the rights to the book "Flicker" and the author was there too so it looks like that is next.

Duck Sauce

Another thing he said was how that style of Pi and Requiem with hiphop montage and quick cuts he wont ever probably use again, he wants to do something different and he just needed to get that out of his system. He said he wants to develope other styles but doesnt know if he could ever do a "slow" movie

©brad

Quote from: Duck SauceAnother thing he said was how that style of Pi and Requiem with hiphop montage and quick cuts he wont ever probably use again, he wants to do something different and he just needed to get that out of his system. He said he wants to develope other styles but doesnt know if he could ever do a "slow" movie

:(

DavTMcGowan

Quote from: cbrad4d
Quote from: Duck SauceAnother thing he said was how that style of Pi and Requiem with hiphop montage and quick cuts he wont ever probably use again, he wants to do something different and he just needed to get that out of his system. He said he wants to develope other styles but doesnt know if he could ever do a "slow" movie

:(

no sad faces!!

while i loved the visual style in pi and requiem, i'm impressed by aronofsky's desire for change.  he's young, many more movies to make in his career...gotta keep trying new things, keep pushing the envelope.

i hope he said something about casting marlon wayans again!!!!

Duck Sauce

Quote from: DanTMcGovern[

i hope he said something about casting marlon wayans again!!!!

He did, he said Marlon really wanted the role and was really dedicated to getting it. He didnt shower for a week and came to the audition in character and took it really seriously. And then he kept coming back and showing up and he really wanted the role. Aronofsky said he always pictures the character to be a comedian in a way and that Marlon was really good at relieving tension on the set.

Other interesting things,

-Harry was originally going to be running towards his mother on the pier
-Milla Jovovich was Aronofskys original choice to play Marion

good times

Sleuth

I want to see this movie more than anything.  Here are some of my choices to replace Brad Pitt with:

Christian Bale
Adrien Brody (cliche I know, but he has the talent)
Collin Farrell (maybe?)
Edward Norton (maybe?)
I like to hug dogs

Duck Sauce

Quote from: tremolosloth

Original choice to play Harry.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Pedro

Quote from: tremoloslothNEAT
Defenitely.  He'd do a good job.

polkablues

Quote from: tremoloslothI want to see this movie more than anything.  Here are some of my choices to replace Brad Pitt with:

Christian Bale
Collin Farrell (maybe?)
Edward Norton (maybe?)

Lemme throw Billy Crudup in there.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ernie

Quote from: polkablues
Quote from: tremoloslothI want to see this movie more than anything.  Here are some of my choices to replace Brad Pitt with:

Christian Bale
Collin Farrell (maybe?)
Edward Norton (maybe?)

Lemme throw Billy Crudup in there.

Johnny Depp!!! That would be fucked up...I'd love it. I love the guy.