Triangle of Sadness (Ruben Östlund)

Started by wilder, May 22, 2022, 03:18:45 AM

wilder

Models Carl and Yaya are navigating the world of fashion while exploring the boundaries of their relationship. The couple are invited for a luxury cruise with a rogues' gallery of super-rich passengers, a Russian oligarch, British arms dealers and an idiosyncratic, alcoholic, Marx-quoting captain. At first, all appears Instagrammable. But a storm is brewing, and heavy seasickness hits the passengers during the seven-course captain's dinner. The cruise ends catastrophically. Carl and Yaya find themselves marooned on a desert island with a group of billionaires and one of the ship's cleaners. Hierarchy is suddenly flipped upside down, as the housekeeper is the the only one who knows how to fish.

Written and Directed by Ruben Östlund (The Square, Force Majeure)
Release Date - October 7, 2022

Clips

Drenk

This dude knows how to make scenes.
Ascension.

Drenk

Ascension.

WorldForgot

I like how her visible tears are glistening.

Drenk

And the trailer:

Ascension.

RudyBlatnoyd

I have to give full marks to the marketing team for that ridiculous but very attention-grabbing poster. Although I expect the poor actress depicted has... conflicting emotions about it.

WorldForgot

Drenk

Fucked up.

I'm seeing it tomorrow, by the way.
Ascension.

Drenk

It rules. I feared that it would be too « surreal », but except some over the top yet pleasant gags, this is very good. I would have given it a second Palm all right. There are a lot of brillant scenes and we're thrown all over the place as viewers. Brillant acting from everybody.
Ascension.

wilder

WorldForgot

I loved the closing image. I know they have a lot of thematic similarities but especially in the final few minutes
Spoiler: ShowHide
I feel echoes of Parasite. They're completely different films both put out by Neon, but the final implied violence recalls part of Parasite's finale.

Ultimately I enjoyed this much more than Neon's prior Class-Divide Palme d'Or acquisition. Their stakes are very different and I think this film's design works better for me. An ensemble, nearly, apart from our chapter 1 duo. Without the veil of a true 'plot' drive, it's able to wander from blunt after blunt scenario on sea legs, which iz a bunch of fun.

Jeremy Blackman

Oh my God, what a movie.

A recent pet peeve of mine has been people complaining about "pacing issues" or "inconsistent tone" usually along with "movie too long." Triangle of Sadness seems designed as a litmus test to bait all of those responses. I absolutely love movies like this that refuse to tell you where they're going and then pay off spectacularly.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Fully agree with @WorldForgot - the final sequence is breathtaking, and this is better than Parasite.

WorldForgot

Criterion Collection Spine #1178
Triangle of Sadness from DVD to 4k

• New 4K digital master, approved by director Ruben Östlund, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
  • One 4K UHD disc of the film and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
  • New interview with Östlund and filmmaker and actor Johan Jonason
  • Two new programs: one about the film's special effects and one about a challenging day on set
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by film critic A. S. Hamrah