AIMY IN A CAGE

Started by Reel, September 11, 2015, 09:48:44 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Wow, thanks for that. Exactly what I hoped it was like behind the scenes.

Quote from: hooroo on January 24, 2016, 06:11:25 PMThe movie, we all got carried away, it was like whenever they screamed it hit the sweet spot of my directorial filter. Because my tone filter may be malfunctioned, because I listen to a lot of death metal and punk rock. That said though, the audio is definitely too shrill, and we are fixing it for the DC.

I enjoyed the first part more, but I didn't think the screaming was bad... it worked and does make sense in the movie. The audio issue I would look at is that it often doesn't sync up to the video. Would you still be able to adjust that?

hooroo

The story of the 'making of' might overshadow the film one day because it is intense full on method actors, and everyone is seeing this as a shot to prove what they've got, it made the entire thing intense. At some points I had to hide because things were getting too heated.

re: screaming I don't know for some reason a certain segment of people can't tolerate screaming, but I am glad for most it is not an issue. The 'restored' cut I want to bring to bluray definitely has fixed the synch, audio levels, and has a few tweaks of pace and color.

Reel

Quote from: hooroo on January 24, 2016, 06:11:25 PM
If I had just followed the comic straight up it would be a more conventional indie film about a girl, and her grandma. Like people who say it's a scream fest, the comic has very little of that. It is more like spirited debate.

Yeah, I remember reading the script that the first dinner table scene was much more philosophical with a lot of different characters weighing in on Aimy's dilemma, but once the actors have learned their lines and see your improvisational spirit on set it gives them room to cut right to the heart of it. So, intense and funny line deliveries must have done a lot of your editing work for you. You hear the words coming out a certain way and it seems to explain an entire passage of dialogue, IN THAT INSTANT. I think it's important that you trusted the actors to find the characters themselves, and let that guide you in telling the story.

Quote from: hooroo on January 24, 2016, 06:11:25 PMI already love how his character leaves the film which I ended up with, where he gives Aimy one last look, that you can read in different ways. I thought they built up this strange bond through the film that makes his last scene powerful.

everyone wishes there was more of Crispin Glover, but he serves the movie in such a gracefully sleazy way. You can't take your eyes off him when he's onscreen, then he vanishes and reappears. He brings so much discomfort that we kind of want him out of the picture, anyway. I like his mischievousness, he brings an entirely bad element into that apartment and we still hold out hope that he could be Aimy's savior. Anyone disappointed in him not having more screen time just needs to come around to the fact that that's how these indie deals work. You've gotta milk this thing for all it's worth, and his name has a lot of credibility attached for this sort of film. I think any fan of his will be pleasantly surprised by the work of the ensemble, but particularly Ashley's pure lunacy. There's no way Claude could've topped that!

Quote from: hooroo on January 25, 2016, 05:32:23 PM
Like fights over why Aimy can't destroy the dolls because the dolls are so beautiful, was the real headache for me moreso than people raging, quitting, and un-quitting every other scene.

I have to say, that's one thing I've been thrown off by both times: How Aimy starts to bash the CABINET with a hammer instead of the DOLLS, and you get the sense she's being much to precious with these antiques when we want to see VISCERAL GLASS SHATTERING DESTRUCTION!!

Quote from: hooroo on January 25, 2016, 05:32:23 PM
re: screaming I don't know for some reason a certain segment of people can't tolerate screaming, but I am glad for most it is not an issue. The 'restored' cut I want to bring to bluray definitely has fixed the synch, audio levels, and has a few tweaks of pace and color.

There were a few times when I knew I couldn't watch this movie because I was too hungover. When I finally did, it wasn't that the yelling offended me aurally, just that the actors get to such a high register that you can't understand the dialogue, or really don't believe it. It's a necessary device to convey how dire the circumstances they're dealing with are, though. I listened to this on my surround sound system and didn't notice any audio syncing issues, the only thing that was out of place was some excessive room tone but it seemed like that was intentional after all.

hooroo

Quote from: reelist on January 24, 2016, 06:11:25 PMI already
everyone wishes there was more of Crispin Glover, but he serves the movie in such a gracefully sleazy way. You can't take your eyes off him when he's onscreen, then he vanishes and reappears. He brings so much discomfort that we kind of want him out of the picture, anyway. I like his mischievousness, he brings an entirely bad element into that apartment and we still hold out hope that he could be Aimy's savior. Anyone disappointed in him not having more screen time just needs to come around to the fact that that's how these indie deals work. You've gotta milk this thing for all it's worth, and his name has a lot of credibility attached for this sort of film. I think any fan of his will be pleasantly surprised by the work of the ensemble, but particularly Ashley's pure lunacy. There's no way Claude could've topped that!

It is funny because some review said he must have stopped by for a weekend, but he was there for 80 % of the shoot. He was often in the corner studying the material, and mentoring me because he recognized it is my first film. He has directed four films now, and gave me tips and every single tip ended up being right and ended up saving my ass in the editing room. What happened is in the script he was in every scene and I usually give him some funny background thing to do, like in the scene when he kept tapping Aimy's helmet after the operation, is a lot more in line with how he functioned in the story. How I originally viewed him was more like a Hugh Grant social climber that is always in the background taunting Aimy, but our collaborative effort led to this dangerous vampire who is out for the papers.

Reel

I just can't stress enough that we LOVE your transparency with filling us in about all of this. By all means, don't stop!

Reel

If anyone is new to the group or still hasn't seen Hooroo Jackson's "Aimy in A Cage" it's now free on his youtube channel

WorldForgot

Seemz to have been taken off youtube BUT;

Aimy In A Cage iz streaming free on Amazon Prime, Tubi, and Pluto TV, in the states ~

hooroo

Quote from: WorldForgot on August 25, 2022, 04:46:52 PMSeemz to have been taken off youtube BUT;

Aimy In A Cage iz streaming free on Amazon Prime, Tubi, and Pluto TV, in the states ~

omg, this was fun. I think it works nicely at 3:38 because you are able to follow both sides at once. The woman on left, is Gabby tary, a stand-up comedian from LA. So she was cast as Grandma Micry first. I decided to cast bigger, and she got so angry sending me this big F U email, burning the whole bridge down, but I said you are still in it! you're the OTHER grandma. What other grandma? The... other one. So we put her in this big fellini makeup and gave her sesame street muppet hair. the only direction I gave her for her scenes was, whatever you do or say just scowl the whole time.

She has a whole life story that is interesting, she is from communist hungary and was a resistance fighter. She moved to the united states in the 60s where she worked as a makeup artist on SNL. being a stand up I let her just roll with it and she says the nasty granny things, then, starts yelling in hungarian